UFO Fanfiction Discussion

Carlos the Jackal

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drill a hole? It's going to react as soon as it hits the skin. It won't have time to drill a hole in the target before it goes off. It's not like an exploding bullet

That's what the laser's for. It drills a tiny hole in the target, which the antiphotons enter, allowing the target mass to absorb most of the energy released.

Er... I kinda thought that, you know, a steady stream of matter-destroying particles would kinda, er... drill a hole after a short while?

I thought that first they'd hit (and destroy) the surface, then the next layer under that, then the next layer under that... and eventually 'drills' a hole?

Wait... there's actually a laser in it now? I'm... cunfuzzled. :(

Drill a hole? It's going to react as soon as it hits the skin. It won't have time to drill a hole in the target before it goes off. It's not like an exploding bullet

That's what the laser's for. It drills a tiny hole in the target, which the antiphotons enter, allowing the target mass to absorb most of the energy released.

YES! Yes. I love that. That works perfectly. Thank you!

YES! Yes. I love that. That works perfectly. Thank you!

Conventional CO2 cutting lasers are often pulsed because the space between the pulses gives room for the smoke and flying debris to get out of the way. Constantly-on lasers would keep making the smoke hotter instead of the target.

Sure, the first particles to arrive would explode on the surface, but then the surface isn't there anymore. If the particles right behind it made it through the explosion - or if you were able to hold the beam steady for time X - the beam would drill the hole (the new "surface") deeper and deeper. (A moving beam would sort of "slash" the target instead.)

Um, that's all I've got for now. Between moving house and Christmas shopping, I haven't kept up on my fanfic steering committe duties - never mind writing for it - but merry christmas to all of you anyway and see you in the new year! Sooner, if I get a phone line and dialup into the new house this year!

• 2 weeks later...

I already posted this once but it seems to not be here so I must've made a boo boo :(

Basically the jist of it was, I've got the interceptors approaching from the West so if people don't want another terror mission so soon after the last we still have a chance to shoot it down. Trigger doesn't expect the pres to ever know he he even exists so do what you like with him :(

Basically though I tried to leave my post with a few options so the next writer can make the decision of what comes next. That is after all, the whole point!

Like I said, that's why I left it open for someone else to make the decision if they wanted to but I see there's still not been any movement anyway so I guess it didn't really matter :(

Come on guyys, spur of the moment, just do it and write whatever you want! I can't post now even if I wanted to so it's all down to you!

Good job Snickers and BB.

The only problem is... who are "they" who took away Rick's rifle? I thought Dana just ran in and handed the two the laser pistol just before take-off. She wouldn't have grabbed away his rifle, possibly saying "Nya-nya! Now you have to use this" :)

Other than that, both of you: Good job! We have stuffs! :o

Re Vet's post.

Oh, I can see where this is going.

Not content with killing millions of civilians, TJ is now trying to fire a missile with all the safety locks off, over a fully populated city.

If it misses, it blows up buildings. If it hits, the UFO lands on buildings.

You just want to mess up a city, don't you Vet? :lol:

You know, if the story plays it out as an 'accident', I reckon I could just about accept that... :)