UFO Fanfiction Discussion

Carlos the Jackal

A warm welcome for agent Johnson... But what happens to Zagers intro? It was set up quite nicely after all and the sudden jump to Shades might be a bit confusing... Nice post though, hopefully we'll see a lot of these guys escapades as time goes by? I don't doubt it for a second :(

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Err? You mean antimatter particles are not good enough for you? :( Antimatter being technically high-energy (when they come into contact with normal matter) and travels really fast (since they're so small, a little bit of kinetic energy goes a long way, or if they're antiphotons then they'll be lightspeed) and reacts with air a little bit to make a glowing beam.

Does turning on a laser pointer in a smokey room blind everyone? Do flashlights store photons in their batteries?

The antiparticles are travelling in a straight line, right? How much air could a thin beam run into in a tenth of a second? (say, 20m shot, 2mm radius... what's the average density of air?)

A lightning strike is likely to be much more powerful than these lasers, but you don't see craters around where the lightning landed, do you?

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/Psawhn/lightnincomic.gif

Er... I dun' think so. :(

Edit: To make myself clear: I've never heard of a lightning bolt leaving anything other than a... er... (Darn, forget the name of it.) It's sort of a glassy tube thingy... starts with 'F' I think... but basically lightning would only leave like a 2-4 cm hole in the ground. If there's pipes underground, it might plop a 2-4 cm hole in that thing.

Edit#2: I think I've found myself an avitar! :(

https://livefromcern.web.cern.ch/livefromce...M-travel01.html

1 kg corresponds to 25,000,000,000 kWh of energy; 1 gr would be enough to supply energy to a medium-sized town for a whole day!

So, how much do you think is in each shot? Let's say 1/1 000 000th of a gram. Given the values above, that would make 25 kWh by the antimatter alone - and keep in mind an equal amount of matter is converted to energy as well, so that puts it up at 50 kwH.

Fifty. Kilowatt. Hours.

Okay, I admit it. What I said before was wrong; firing this gun will not temporarily blind you and give you radiation poisoning. Firing this gun will flash fry the outside of your body.

Ouch. You're right about that. You know, I've never actually done the math before and it shows. An annihilation of a 2mm wide corridor (20m long) generates something on the order of 10^13 kJ. If we try to say that some is converted to light and heat, we still get a crapload of energy. So you're right. Antimatter beams annihilating every single particle in the way of them are out.

Hrmm... this got me thinking. What about antimatter EM waves? Waves have the advantage of just going around the small stuff in the way. Light diffracts around atoms and molecules. So why not make antiphotons that do this? They could just diffract around all the air in the way and most of them'd hit the solid object in the way. (Like a sectoid)

What do our resident science-non-newbies (JFG and Zager) say about this?