UFO Fanfiction Discussion

Carlos the Jackal

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I imagine the knowledge of the technology would be a more important bargaining chip than the tech itself, right? So we could just confiscate it much later (after we discover it), or have our troops nick it if our scientists get stuck, or just have the aliens hand over the tech and have people using them, but not the science of HOW they work or...anything.

Woowee, that was a long post. A few things:

I didn't manage to call attention to Rick and Terrick in the water. The idea I had for that didn't pan out.

I left Bernard and White Eyelashes on their own, but I don't think it would be a good idea to have them get captured. That would reveal too much information to early. We want to keep these people annonymous from XCOM - see if we can get the Commander any more paranoid, maybe...

EDIT: Wow. That post looked so much better and exciting last night at 1 AM. I'm sorry.

I think he said suspense, not suspenders... Strange person :confused:

Anyway! There's a new post for you, I'm a bit pressed for time so it's not incredibly indepth and it's incredibly personal to my characters but there we are! My last post was a nice friendly multi-character outing with bullets and ray-guns for all so this nice self-important post is to make up for that one!

Plus! I saw someone say these two can't be captured but Rick's a nice guy, he's only holding a gun because his hands are stuck to it and it probably wouldn't fire now even if he tried to use it! (I know one of our rifle's wouldn't work :grr:) Also I'm not quite sure why so many diplomats died to bring us this information but Rick didn't really feel himself shooting at helicopters and whatnot. He definitely wouldn't have approved of old Ed's human hand grenade so let's be a bit careful ok guys? The last post I had with him, he'd given away his rifle because he couldn't conceal it and tucked the pistol into his belt because he was going to negotiate not to shoot people...

Acknowledged things change when people start shooting him but still, he was a bit out of his depth these last few posts.

But! Overall, fantastic, we're moving! And that's all that matters :borg: Good job guys!

(And to finish what I started saying, Bernard doesn't necessarily need to be captured because old white eyelashes is still out there somewhere and there's quite a lot of somewhere behind Rick! Plus she sounds fit and Rick is a ladies man :grr:)

How cold does Scotland get?

I ask because Rick just fell into water in sub-zero weather, then went for a bit of a run in his soaked uniform. Now, as a Canadian I know that this is a very, very bad thing, because he's going to start freezing and catching hypothermia and basically going down in a very short amount of time. But if Scotland doesn't get a lot of ice it's very likely Rick doesn't know the danger he's in.

Besides that...

I'm sorry. It's the diplomats. Are they from several countries, or just the American government, or are they businessmen? Because there seems to be a bit of variety in the descriptions discussed here.

Surely a country would only send one diplomat? Just in case the aliens get unpleasant and start probing willy-nilly.

Scotland gets pretty damn cold. They get plenty of ice in the winter, and in the Highlands you can get some after a summer night, thanks to the altitude and proximity to some nice cold winds. Missions nearly done, anyway, so we can have him tucked up safe and warm shortly. He can be miserable with the sniffles for a week, teach him to get wet.

Sorry yeah I mean Howitz's human hand grenade. Ed was shooting the chopper as was Rick. Both of which strike me as slightly ott when we had no idea who was in the chopper or why they were there. Also there were no armed parties in the chopper (except our pilot which we didn't know anyway) I understand why it all went a bit mad when we started getting ambushed but that was really no reason to shoot at an unconfirmed target. And yeah Rick fell in freezing water, Scotland is cold, and people reading it shouldn't ask those questions! But yeah, sniffles is a good solution. I put Terrick as a casualty presuming he took the bullet from the sniper but he's not mortally wounded obviously. Meanwhile the laser pistol is mia so if he comes around he's welcome to it.

Oh, he'll get that pistol, alright. I've been waiting too long to set this one up. :confused:

I don't mind Howitz strapping a grenade to a corpse, and he's my character, so meh. But I'd probably complain a bit if he sent a live bloke down the hill.

I suppose the officer types can have a discussion about who's fair game for shooting when the squad gets back to base, but in the battlefield, there's no time to discuss what's good form and what's not.

Hey, looks like the mission's almost over...yeah, no doubt shooting at the diplomats was a bit rude on X-COM's part, but they were being shot at, people reacted...tell me this sort of thing doesn't happen in a battle. Remember Rick's been court-martialled for acting on instinct before.

Hey - Eyelashes has a name now. That's a shame, I liked the mystery. She also seems to be a pilot, and an engineer...silly me, I thought she was a diplomat :confused: .

I seem to remember we wanted to keep X-COM from getting any real info. I figure the troopers are probably operating under "need-to-know" so I guess the only one we have to worry about now is Bernard.

Hmm. You think someone like Bernard would carry a taser?

They could probably figure out *how*. Unless it's the simplest plane in the world, keeping it in the air would be another feat.

If you design guns, you can probably get it to fire but that doesn't mean you'll hit anything.

We're really getting into this for just a simple ironic statement on my part.

No, I've just been caught out not knowing what I'm talking about, and I'm just trying to keep up out of desperation. :grr:

But surely, if you designed a handgun you'd have a really good idea how to fire it? You'd get someone who has experienced recoil and the like to deal with that sort of thing. :confused:

Using a gun in a battlefield, on the other hand... Different story.

I see. Perhaps a little premature?

And as these diplomats present THE biggest threat to X-Com, I think we're well justified in killing the lot of them, quite frankly. Yes, they're unarmed, yes, it would be murder. However the end of X-Com (brought about by a peaceful settlement between the diplomats and the aliens) means, effectively, the end of the world. So we should definitely kill them. We really shouldn't give a toss that we shot at them, and how does Base know they were diplomats (when talking to Gia)?

Agreed. Remember to shoot Bernard in the head as well.

I think X-COM has serious problems adressing its priorities. X-COM really has three external dangers: aliens, diplomatic relations, and the world at large discovering the existence of X-COM and aliens. Obviously, the first is a problem we're dealing with. The second will be resolved shortly - but the third, I think, is a problem.

With the terror attack on China, there's bound to be rumours flying. If we make a show of humans attacking, though, they'll just pass it off as a terrorist threat. I think we should send Trigger over to China and nuke a city or two.

What does everyone say?