UFO Fanfiction Discussion

Carlos the Jackal

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhh...as interesting as that could be, why THE HELL would the diplomats start spraying lead? Even if they hate to the point of wanting to kill X-COM - which sounds like a rather extreme view to take, even if they have contrary goals - they're *diplomats*. Not soldiers. If they really want them dead, they can report back to their superiors and get them to send someone who knows how to handle a gun?

Back to my first point, why would they want to kill X-COM? Yes, this is fiction, and rather dramatic fiction at that, but we still shouldn't portray the world as black and white. Just because the diplomats have goals contrary to X-COM's doesn't make them evil kitten-eating murderers.

Perhaps if you elaborate?

I'm assuming the diplomats have, y'know, bodyguards? And I don't think either side would take kindly to being interrupted and X-Com might very well wonder just what the Hell these people are doing meeting aliens in the middle of nowhere and try and detain the diplomats. It escalates from there. ;)

how about having another group rumble the thing and have the whole thing to dissolve into chaos?

like, have search parties from washington run into the groups. they, or the aliens, or a bodyguard, or even a 'commer, gets spooked by the other groups, area turns into a four way firefight, diplomats and the important aliens escape in confusion.

Terrick has a good excuse to lose his laser. with a full blown engagement going on, he can fake an injury or near miss, and lose it that way.

Let's not complicate this more than we have to, or in fact already have. We can safely assume X-Com has the governemnts of the world leashed, if only for now. They'll stay out of this, directly anyway.

Terrick losing his laser will be a piece of piss, at any time he can fall over and jam it down his trousers or something. No problem there.

I just can't see X-Com spotting an important group of people right next to an alien landing site and simply going "ho-hum, none of our business." ;)

I was thinking more in terms of local cops, or rangers, or something. they don't even need to be armed, just so long as they cause enough disruption at the right ( or wrong moment) that the diplomats and aliens get away. The governments may be leashed, but the grunts on the ground can still blindly walk in.

point is, for us to get the right effect, we really need for X-com to come out of this empty handed but for what they've seen, so that we get rummourmongering started up. No casualties, but no evidence and a bunch of contradictory stories over who and what was at the site.

of course, X-Com still gets points for the sunken terror ship, so they'll not have the funding watchdogs calling it a complete mess, but the commander and strategistsa re going to be having kittens over the whole thing.

I agree that we need rumours flying about the place, but I think this will be ably achieved by the diplomats getting into a bit of a scrap with X-Com before getting out of there sharpish. X-Com won't have a clue who the Hell they are, and if they take a casualty or two they'll be really pissed off about it.

how about getting the 'commers distracted by something, and have the diplomat party/aliens walk slap bang into them

like, if this is prelude to a secret pact, maybe the alien ship's got a room loaded up with alien items for bribes? while the 'commers get busy digging into that, the other squad, (now on their own) get jumped by the other group?

So what are we talking about here?

Step 1: Half the squad starts digging through alien goodies (presumably after the all clear has been called).

Step 2: Vision obscured by the fog, the diplomats run smack into, I dunno, Dodge and Howitz I guess. One or more bodyguards are spooked by the fact that these are nonfamiliar soldiers with big guns.

Step 3: Dodge and Howitz are not amused to see some civilians messing with the mission. They are unfreindly, one or more of them saying enough unkind words to piss someone off.

Step 4: One of the diplomats - Bernard, I guess, would be quite in character - starts getting belligerant. Heated words are exchanged. Dodge or Terrick does something that can be seen as threatening.

Step 5: The spooked bodyguards interpret the action as a threat and panic (or, in XCom terms, "goes berserk").

Step 6: We have another of our bring-the-action-to-a-screeching-halt-with-a-base-post episodes.

Step 7: Things go downhill from Step 5. Even if they're not here to kill humans, it's probably goog to assume Dodge and Howitz will defend themselves if attacked.

Step 8: Somehow the diplomats and company get away from best-of-the-best soldiers. We'll figure that out later. Maybe one of the 'Coms caught a bullet?

Step 9: Somehow the diplomats manage to get in their 'chopper and take off without being postiviely id'd, despite XCom air cover. We can figure that out too.

That sounds like what I was getting at. the air cover is awkward; maybe they get spotted, but can't be engaged because they're too low or something ( remember, Avalanche missiles have tactical Nuclear warheads, so using them at low levels will be a major no-no; perhaps the interceptors can't fire because of collateral damage?)

as for the get away, how about the aliens? we don't know that the squads got them all, and there may be some left. which brings up the question, if there are, do we want them killed or to get away. linked to that, what goodies does the ship have, and do we want the 'Coms to get them, or just to see them and then lose them again?

and sorry for the action-derailing base post.

A casualty plus fire from the bodyguards plue fire from the aliens means diplomats get away clean.

Avalanche missiles have nuclear warheads?

Anyway, the UFO gets cleared, the tech (or gold, or whatever) is found, so the aliens would have to re-take the UFO to get away. That's not going to happen. Possible way out is an alien drops a primed grenade in the room with the goodies when shot. That'd do the job.

It's ok ST, we always chuck an interrupting post into the action.

What's the news with the chopper? Don't know if it's supposed to be this other craft or if it's a new arrival or really what's going on. It's been said in a few posts now that it's a ranger type craft and I hadn't put money on it being a US crew... What's the way forward?

my take would be have the diplomats arrive ( and leave) by chopper, with the ranger derivative as loot transport- if this meeting is a setup for secret meetings toward a pact, then the diplomats must've got on the horn and called in a transport to retrieve the 'bribe' they're being offered.

Skyrangers aren't proprietary X-com craft, so it's possible that early prototypes or preproduction models were sold off before x-com cemented their exclusivity.

which leaves the 'coms interrupting either just before, or during the transfer of goods from the UFO to the 'ranger'.

maybe have the goodies toasted during some HE crossfire from the auto's and 'eavies?

The diplomats will be expecting a group of aliens when they find the UFO, not a bunch of soldiers killing aliens.

Their body guards would probably be quite happy to shoot anything that moves. The second the X-Com guards see someone they can't account for, they'll at least level their weapons on them, and things would go downhill from there regardless of what any of them says.

I mean, they're sitting there outside a UFO, there are alien corpses spotted around the place, and two fully armed squads. I can hardly see the first words said when the two parties meet being 'Bit of a frosty day for a stroll, eh?'.

But there's only a coupl of X-Com troops outside, and even if Terrick is near the door, three soldiers aren't going to prevent a group from escaping. Not in the snow. Howitz won't be the only one carrying smoke grenades.

The tricky bit is stopping the craft from escaping, but methinks that word from command along the lines of 'Don't shoot down human craft you idiots' might solve that one.

There's a post for you to say goodbye! I'm off to work again but I'm thinking about getting a laptop so I have wireless net. You'll know if I do coz I'll pobably get it on Monday so hopefully speak to you all again real soon properly Just like the old days!!! ;)

By the way, Rick would rather not get killed and I figure the trolley is most likely to be Elerium. But have fun with it guys, just wanted to get moved along. Ooh and how about Warlord huh? All that's left is the head :)

Later guys!

Howiz found himself squiting a little more

I can only assume that as a typo. I don't know the meaning of 'squit', but my imagination produces no good ones. :)

*tweaks*

'All that's left is the head'... You had me worried there for a moment... ;) Wonder if we could put him down as MIA and then follow his adventures as he tries to make it back to base? :)

Anyway, my vote is the 'diplomat' team escapes in the craft which was on the ground at the start of the mission while the X-Com team captures the chopper.

Oh! Oh! I just had the greatest idea.

How does anyone feel about alien technology getting into the hands of the world at large? It'll create a nice "unknown element" to the story (and we can capitalize on it later if need be).

I'm asking this because I just had a nifty idea for a post that would:

- Get the helicopter and the diplomats away from our 'Commers,

- Allow some of the squad to realize what had happened to our boys in the ice,

- Drop some alien tech into the hands of non-XCOM humans,

- make another mention of the people holding Terrick's family hostage,

- be pretty long and have lots of action.