UFO character profiles

The Veteran

That's a big 10-4. Gia's going to freak when Christel starts mumbling alien languages in her sleep. I just finished a month of psi-testing in my game and what do you know - Squaddie Christel (Ulbricht) tested out at a perfect 100 psi-strength. "And if we made harder tests, I suspect she'd pass them too."

Ethereals, prepare to soil your robes.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Potential psionist, of course. Just because the scientific world doesn't believe in psionics (yet) doesn't mean untrained psionists can't get the odd feelings of presence and strange dreams. Adds loads of flavor. :D

Name: Norton Wexford

Callsign: Stick

Background: "US Army! Number One! All the way! Gung ho" A true patriot and many of his fellow soldiers have nominated him for positions in which he can prove himself, such as first man into the UFO.

Personal Info: Got his callsign from a black soldier to whom he showed a less than proper amount of respect. Said soldier was moved to state, "Ah'm going to take that stick up yo' ass and beat you with it until ain't nothin' left but ass and stick." Wexford's rebuttal, "Oh yeah?", did not calm the situation. The ensuing debate left him with fourteen stitches, but failed to remove the stick.

Position: Soldier. Rooms with Green. "Roommate" would imply a bond of civility and friendship.

Creator: JellyfishGreen

Mortality: A mission or two, unless he gets interesting, in which case we'll keep him.

Indeed very true JFish. We have to be careful though. It's way too early in the game to present psionics. Even on a very slight scale. We need to wait until we come up against aliens using Psionics before her skills kick in as sort of an uncontrollable defence or something...

Hey TJ, if there is any position available, I'll be gald to fill within

Character profile:

Nothing special. Just regular soldier.

AFAIK, you have the last fic right, then copy my profile form there.

Nick name: I you guys don't mind terror (my last nick in the fic) is alright

As for the rest, it can be an introspective but good soldier.

By the way, can you send me the hole fic. I'm kinda curious!

Mail address: gilogawa@hotmail.com

Character's Name: Patrick Zager

Character's Callsign: None

Character's Background: Patrick was born in Canada, in the year 1945. His passion was science, and due to his high intelligence, he excelled in university, graduating with degrees in physics, nuclear physics, quantum physics and theoritical physics. He later went back and expanded his knowledge to include chemistry. Though relatively unknown to most of the world, he's considered one of preeminent scientists in the world. He's done research on many different theories in physics, and proved quite a few different formulas, though he's also done a lot of work in practical applications of science as well. When he was informed of X-COM's existence, he accepted the offer to serve as a scientist. He isn't an administrator, though, which is why he didn't choose to be the head researcher. His latest project before he was reassigned was bioelectric cells, capable of producing much more power than a conventional battery in a much more smaller area. Just the sort of thing that would be needed for a personel laser gun, for instance.

Character's Personal Information: Zager stands at about 5'9", and is of an average build. He has blue eyes, and short, gray hair. He almost always is wearing a brown suit or a lab coat. He uses a cane when he walks. He's devoted to his work, and devotes the exact amount of attention required at the moment when he's studying something. One thing he can't stand is somebody interfering with his experiments. Tapping him on the shoulder while he's looking at something with a microscope is an invention to get beaten about the head with a cane. If you should damage one of his experiments, then they'll bury you in a matchbox.

Character's Physical Statistics

Strength: Low

Stamina: Above average

Speed: Below average

Agility: Above average

Character's Mental Condition: Stable

Intelligence: Incredible

Psionic potential: Incredible

Bravery: Low

Character's Controller: Zager

Character's Name: Gaston Duchante

Character's Callsign: None

Character's Background: Member of the French marine corps for five years before being sent to X-COM.

Character's Personal Information: Stands at 5'11", and is of average build. Blonde hair and brown eyes. Doesn't much like people from the United States or England. One of his more annoying habits is that he talks in English interspaced with French. When somebody asks him to translate his French, this usually causes him to speak more French and less English.

Strength: Above average

Stamina: Below average

Speed: High

Agility: High

Character's Mental Condition: Stable

Intelligence: Average

Psionic potential: Low

Bravery: Above average

Character's Controller: Anybody, though I want to be the one who kills him off.

terror? you'll have to rewrite your character as it's no longer on an accessible server. Terror will be fine as a callsign and just rewrite it when you get a chance. The fic is already on the site here so you can see it yourself. It's called the mother of all fanfictions. Go there and take a look. The one that isn't here is the Apocalypse fic.

• 5 weeks later...

Name: Sven Katka

Calsign: Red

Backgound: Sven grew up near the black forest in germany did a lot of hunting in his youth. After studying mathematics for 3 years in college he droped out to become a NATO combat aviator. After x-com was made he joined x-com as a soldier. He is a good pilot and tactician

hopes to prove himself. sven respects his superoirs and salutes his victories. He also collects trophies of every kill.

Strength:average

stamina: average

Speed: Flaming

Agility: even more flaming

Inteligence:genius

Mental: very reserved. rarely speaks.

Psi: average

bravey: that of a tutonic Knight.

controller: Mirage

Here's what's been changed and why...

He can't possibly have joined XCom as a pilot. The pilots have already been assigned and spoken for. Also he can't have had any kills at all as XCom is still in it's infancy. No attacks have been launched.

He is a direct descendant of no aces from WW1. The characters we use in the fic must be balanced to provide a good story.

Flying suits don't exist yet! Until you have read the entire fic you are not permitted to write in this fic as you clearly have no idea what is happening.

Also the statistics you have given this character are extremely high. We have absolutely NO superheroing in this fic so no matter how good you want your guy to be you must remember that there are many other people who are part of this fic. You should read this thread and figure out who they are before you reply in this thread.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit harsh Mirage, don't get me wrong I'm glad to have a new writer here. It's just that we do have a lot of people writing in this fic and everyone must follow the same guidelines. I wrote some guidelines and they are in this forum. I suggest you find them while you're reading through the fic and the character profiles.

I should have been more clear.. I'm sorry you didn't like my character, but I'm not interseted in the fan fic.. I should have made that clear. sven is a NPC in one the games I'm running with some friends.. and he IS a direct decendant of ernst udet!!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I think I should add my character here before writing about him if possible, and probably wait for a reply before I start working on a little contribution.

Scientist person: (I don't think I want to contribute a main military character just yet)

Name: Daniel Morlone

Callsign: Psawhn (easily pronounced: sawn. It was his name for RPG's in his high-school years.)

Background: Daniel Morlone was born in '72 in Edmonton, Alberta. He was always a smart student interested in theoretical sciences. Because he was partially raised on video games, he started to fail some of his classes in his tenth grade. This instantly woke him up, and he received top honours throughout his years until University (U of A). In university, he met a friend from the engineering department. Their group created a couple "interesting" projects during university years, with Daniel thinking up an idea and his friend, Dana Farber, putting them into physical form. He eventually earned his Masters in Theoretical Metaphysical Sciences. Daniel worked with a nondescript researching firm until his friend phoned him up about this new organization that was hiring all sorts of engineers and scientists. Naturally, this was his entry into X-COM. He was also in the High School and University Band, and played french horn. He has been known to bring his own french horn out from time to time, but much prefers to play in an orchestra.

Personal Information: Brown hair, 6 feet 3 inches. Rather thin, and seems to be nervous or sad much of the time (to which he would deny being.) Is rather weak, and when walking or standing, seems to hold an echo of a slouch. He isn't the most fit, but likes to go on walks from time to time (isn't couch potato or anything.)

Generally not very talkative. Is rather passive with casual conversation, *unless* he has something to say. He could go a whole conversation without saying a thing - just waiting until he has something to say relevant to the conversation. But if you have no understanding of theoretical physics and concepts, don't ask him to explain anything. You'll probably get two earfulls and a bucket full of sentences which sound like pseudo-english.

Edit(12-12-02): He also has a very slight dyslexia (mixes up words and sounds), and often pauses when saying something because he's trying to make sure he's using the right word, and making sure he has his ideas straight.

Physical Statistics

Strength: Weak

Speed: Surprisingly, can sprint faster than you'd expect from his state of health. Almost no stamina or endurance, however.

Agility: Medium-Low. (Claims that inertia is a massive scourge)

Character's Mental Condition

Psionic potential: Incredible

Bravery: Medium

Character's Controller: I'll write for this person, but other people can go ahead if deemed necessary.

(If I may, could Daniel be the person who gets the idea for a motion scanner?)

Engineer (hey, we finally have one of these people!)

Name: Dana Farber

Callsign: (????)

Background: Born in 1971 in Calgary, Alberta. Dana Farber always liked tinkering with objects such as T.V's, magnetic contraptions, et cetera. Graduated from high school as top Academic student. Went to U of A, where she met Daniel Morlone. The two remain friends to this day (but no deep relationships or anything, just as good friends.) The firm with which she was working went under, and so was looking for a new job when she found out about a mysterious company desperately looking for talented engineers and scientists. She applied immediately and notified her friend, Daniel.

Personal Information: Has a very good talent for being able to take a scientific concept and producing a practical physical object (or at least the blueprints/sketches of one) from it. Is 6"4'. Has strawberry blonde hair, which she often wears up in a bun (because of her engineering work.)

Is generally a friendly person, unless she's been working on a difficult problem for a while: then watch out! She also has a slight streak to be slightly manipulative when needs be, but is generally good natured.

Physical Statistics

Strength: Fair-Medium

Speed: Good

Agility: Good

Character's Mental Condition

Psionic potential: Better than Daniel's

Bravery: Average

Character's Controller: Me again (and again I wouldn't mind other people going ahead with her.)

Most impressive... I like these two a lot. I think they'll complement eachother brilliantly and hopefully we can get the fanfic moving along a bit now that there's some new blood!

I would recomend that you write them in as something to do with the development of the HWPs. I believe Worm is already leading it (or someone human controlled) so be sure to read the WHOLE fic first! May I emphasise that point a little... READ THE WHOLE FIC FIRST! ;) You'd be amazed how many people don't...

But I'd say go for it. You have some interesting guys there and I already like your style of writing. It's impressive even in descriptive text. Feel free to post as soon as you can.

Oh and one more thing... Just on your way out?...

Bow before me! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After my first character I've decided upon a slightly more pompous, though at the very least, easily explainable character:

Character's Name: Martin Terrick

Character's Callsign: Strike

Character's Background: Born and raised in Japan, his family is actually American and his father is still one of the top computer scientists in the world. They emigrated to Japan, as they felt that the school system there would be much better for Martin, who was at that time still unborn and also because of several offers made to the family by a wealthy Japanese software tycoon. Though shunned by a few of his schoolmates, Martin, like most japanese raised children, passed through school with flying colors. After finishing, however at great surprise to his parents, he decided not to continue his education. Instead he discovered that all of the major corporations throughout the world had used special people, which were illegaly used as commandoes for sabotage or espionage missions to any rival, that may threaten that corporation. After discovering this, he decided to immediately apply to the very same corporation that employed his family there. After 6 years of rigorous training and testing by the corporation, he was finnaly accepted and given an astronomical salary as well, along with the rest of the employed illegal commandoes.

After his inclusion in this illegal operation, he succsesfully completed several missions, in which his talent for solo operations was quickly noted. To this day it still remains his strongest aspect, as he has all the top marks of an assassin - Capable of preforming a short but intense and swift strike, so that the target doesn't know what hit him/her and without any backup. In fact he works best alone and often acts on his own will, although he did obey orders whenever he was placed in a squad. After two years of his illegal activity, X-Com began looking around for the most elite soldiers to fit into their organization. Martin's corporation noticed this and decided to capitalize on this by bribing Martin's way into the Japanese army. They knew that X-Com would sooner or later notice his incredible skills and recruit him. Because of this fact the corporation gave Martin a simple choice. Whilst working for X-Com as a soldier, he is to preform espionage in the science labs of X-Com and send the acquired info back to the corporation in order for them to develop the latest advanced designs based upon those plans. If he will not do so, then they will slaughter his family to the last and Martin now faces a terrible option. Preform the mission, which he was instructed to by the corporation and possibly also hurt the only chance for mankind to defend itself in the long term, or simply fight for X-Com and let his family die.

Character's Personal Information: Standing at 6'3'' and weighing at 80 kg he seems rather light and devoid of any muscles. However this has caught many would-be attackers seriously off guard. Otherwise caucasian with brown hair, blue eyes and a mustache.

Character's Physical Statistics:

Strength: Very Good

Speed: Good

Agility: Excellent

Bravery: Excellent (as he is accustomed to working solo so he may, at a certain time, disobey orders, if he sees a good opportunity to be exploited)

Intelliegence: Good

Psi-Capability: Average (not capable of any attacks but relatively good at defense)

Character's Mental Condition: As he is currently under a lot of stress, he is trying to keep himself distanced from anyone who might discover his secret mission (especially John Pickering and intelligence officers or also "spooks" like Jasper and Tim Day). Therefore if someone probes him long enough, he could quite possibly snap under the pressures and perhaps even spill his guts on the corporation's mission.)

Character Skills:

Hand-to-Hand: Extreme (knows an enormous vareity of combat techniques and is very skilled at them also)

Pistol: Excellent

Rifle: Very Good

Heavy Weaponry: Very Poor

Grenades: Below Average

Character's Controller: Loonie, though only at the beginning. After a story or two, when you know the character well enough, you can roleplay him too.

Name:Jennifer Lecointe

Callsign:Lekky

Background:Raised in a rural part of Europe, Jennifer Lecointe joined the army. Due to army politics at the time, she was transferred to a special ops team ("officially" because of high intelligence and many skills.) but excelled in this new position moreso than she would have had they left her in the army. All information leading from this transfer, but prior to enlistment in XCOM, is classified.

Personal Information:Generally agreeable personality. 2m30cm in height, has blonde hair, brown eyes. Has budding talent for squad tactics. If (somehow) you get on her nasty side -watch out! Though she has enough patience and tolerance that it'd take a lot to do that.

---Physical Statistics---

Strength:Good

Speed:Great

Agility:High

Bravery:High

Intelligence:Very High

Psi-Capability:High (An 84, to be exact). Good in both defense and offense. (But we don't know that yet :D)

Mental Condition:Very strong mentally. Has a talent for squad tactics.

---Character Skills---Is profficient in many weapons, including pistols or rifles or grenades. Can use numerous heavy weapons too (is trained in them.) but prefers the more 'tactically efficient' rifle.

Character's Controller: Me, of course, but as usual, anybody can write. Just don't kill her.

(Note: She was the commander in one of my games.)

(Another Note: She doesn't really exist yet, at least not untill we get our first Sectoid Terror mission, which I expect should be disastrous in terms of soldier casualties. She'll be one of the replacement soldiers.)

------

Name: Charles Bruheme

Callsign:"Brute Chuck" or just "Brute."

Background:Enslisted into the states army, is another of those "Born to be Soldiers" people. Noted for keeping moralle up in the thick of things, he was generally an excellent soldier. He was trained in special weapons (Like the "heavy stuffs."). Nothing else important to note untill his enlistment in XCOM.

Personal Information:Strong, muscular, large guy. If he were to arm-wrestel Warlord, though, he would probably lose after 15 minutes. 6'6" tall, with brown hair, and dark eyes. Never backs down, and prefers 'brute force' methods.

Strength:Very Strong. He'll want himself a Heavy Cannon.

Speed:Average.

Agility:Fair.

Bravery:Very Good.

Intelligence:Fair.

Psi-Capability:Okay. Would probably be a 40.

Mental Condition:Doesn't harbour a lot of stress or hidden secrets. Firm mind.

---Character Skills---

Pistol:Average.

Rifle:Average

Heavy Weaponry:Excellent

Grenades:High

Character's Controller: Me, but anyone else can use him too. Don't kill him untill our first psionic encounter.

(Note, he's "cannon fodder." ;) As in, let him get killed after our first sectoid terror mission (be it under mind control, under plasma or friendly fire.)

Name:Tatyana Kolotov

Callsign:(I can't seem to come up with one.)

Background:Born in Canada, she was raised by her Russian parents. Despite high marks in school, she decided to enlist in the Canadian Armed Forces. After an excellent track record for 9 years, XCOM picked her up.

Personal Information:Is actually quite pretty, 6"1', light brown hair. Speaks with a russian accent, but it's perfectly clear. Understands english, russian, french, and german.

Strength:Average

Speed:Good

Agility:Good

Bravery:Good. Won't panic unless everything's gone down the tube.

Intelligence:Good. Not a genius, but strong.

Psi-Capability:Good, though a powerful Ethereal Commander may be able to take her over. (Ethereal Commanders are the most psi-powerful unit in the game, right?)

Mental Condition:No special deep-seated trama or stress, aside from the usual from being foreign and stuff.

---Character Skills---

Pistol:Very strong.

Rifle:Good.

Heavy Weaponry:Poor.

Grenades:Very strong.

Character's Controller: Currently up for grabs.

I've decided that I want to remove Tatyana from the fic entirely. I'll just leave this here in case somebody wants to take her template or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmweh. May as well join in.

Character Name: Theodore Dherzhin

Character Callsign: Complex

Character Background: Son of Russian immigrants to Canada, Theodore joined the RCAF early, being assigned to Aircraft Maintenance. Theodore developed proficiency in aircrew operations and, by extension, engineering. While not strictly an engineer, Theodore tends towards any project involving flying things, and is responsible for the loading-out of the air[space?]craft before takeoff and their servicing and maintenance after landing. Basically, he's one of the last faces the X-COM squad members see before taking off. [if that position's already taken, tell me. I'll change things around.] Tends to tinker, and occasionally the tinkering results in a better-working object...

Character Physical Stats:

Since Theodore is "non-essential personnel", this doesn't matter so much, but... About average height, a bit skinny. Sandy hair, brown eyes. Not really someone who'd stand out in a crowd.

Med-High Strength, Average Speed, High Agility, Med-High Bravery, High Intel, Low Psi.

Character Skills: Well, he's an engineer [sort of], but more concerned with ship loadouts and repair than engineering... He can shoot fairly well, or act as a backup pilot [if something comes up sudden and all available pilots are unable to fly] - but he's mostly Support Personnel.

Character Controller: Me. Since he's a secondary character, feel free to include him in things like "As the ramp closed, he saw the grinning face of Theodore, mouthing the words 'Good Luck'" or some such. Just don't kill him without reason. I mean, how can you get killed on flight crew? [Aside from faulty weapons, undeactivated proxy mines, aliens clinging to the landing gear...]

I have no clue how long I'll be able to last with this guy. Just don't expect me to always be posting - at least not 'till next week, after finals...

Copied my The Veteran from edited post in fanfic

[My character intro. Basically, I'm going to be in an important, but not-really-noticed role as groundcrew for the Interceptor[s?] and Skyranger, which has [i hope!] existed but not been taken in the fanfic. Like I said in my Character Sheet, he's responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the craft, etc. He's probably got a still set up somewhere, made from parts on his 'requisition list' - hey, gotta keep 'em flying, and the requisitions are already paid for, aren't they? - and so, provides the base with the finest in coolant-pipe scale stripper. Anyway...]

Character's Name: Nathaniel Jacobson

Character's Callsign: Hankosha

Character's Background (if possible): Nathaniel was born about the time that the "alien abduction" stories were reaching their peak. He became an orphan at a young age, due to a fire started 'accidentally' at his house. He joined the military, and was the top of his class at marksmanship. He proved himself to be a fast and agile young man, as he was small and agile. He was going to enter university when he was recruited for X-Com. Hankosha is also believed to have been abducted by aliens before he was recruited by x-com. Though this information may be correct, he may also be an alien...

Character's Personal Information:

"Hankosha" recieved his nickname in a Japanese prison. He had been caught (framed for) "meddling" with a japanese aircraft. He managed to escape from the prison by inciting a revolt with help from the other prisoners. After their escape, a former military soldier gave him the nickname 'Hankosha' for inciting the revolt, as Hankosha is Japanese for Rebel.

Height:4'6

Hair:Brown

Eyes:Brown

Strength: Low-average

Speed:High

Agility:Excellent

Character's Mental Condition Stable minded, but sometimes tends to sense aliens without seeing them

Psionic potential:high - currently at high average

Bravery:average (if there are more aliens than he can handle, he runs)

Character's Controller: Hankosha

Well it would seem that Nathaniel is born about two years ago in fanfic time... :D But I guess he means longer ago than that... Kosha mate? You'd better get in here and tell us when your guy was born...

As for the Cult I was of the opinion that it didn't exist yet and wouldn't until the war had developed at least for a few months... So right now there is no cult, maybe one or two radical extremists or the like... No cult though...

I suppose I should create some generics for the groundcrew, too...

----------------

Name: Heather O'Reilley

Physical Description: A fiery redhead with a temper. Attractive - thus, prone to be hit upon by the squaddies and pilots. Hangs around the canteen and rec rooms a lot. Has a nice singing voice. Medium-low psi strength, if it ever comes to a trooper trying to read her mind / "mind control" her... (Heh heh heh. Interesting scenarios abound.)

Writer: Since she's a generic, anyone, really.

-----------

Name: Gilbert Huillard

Physical: Shorter-than-average, dark-haired Frenchman. Average features. Near-obsessive in his interest in new technology. Hangs around the scientists, engineers, anyone with a hand in new technology - at least, when he can get away with it. Might 'accidentally' pick up engineering samples, if he thinks he can get away with it. Very low psi, rather gullible. Eccentric, but a good mechanic. Due to be killed when a 'sample' blows up in his face [probably an Alien Grenade or some such].

Writer: Another generic, 'everyone writes'. If I forget to, kill him off when some sort of high explosive is being researched.

------------

Name: Johann Ibsen

Physical: Big, blond stereotypical Swede. Would rather be a trooper than a mechanic, and will leap at the chance to replace a trooper [if one arises]. Basically, a plain-vanilla guy, average mechanic - but I'd expect more frequent "accidents" in the hall [at least for the ladies] when he's around...

Writer: Anyone. Feel free to take him over if/when he becomes a trooper.

Another way Gilbert could depart this mortal coil: Busy reading a newspaper in the toilet next to the lift, didn't hear the base raid warning siren go off.

Alitorious: Squad 3 is heavy on filler, so no problem slotting your guys in there. I still don't know whether people would prefer writing less often or more often. I see Squad 1 & 2 getting most of the action -but then that limelight will be distributed among more key characters.

What, you think an aquatoid's gonna... naaaah.

Anyway...

Late last night / early this morning [can't remember which], a thought struck me.

While Pine Gap is located in Oz, most of the base "residents" are NOT Aussies. In fact, I don't think there's even one!

Thus, the following character...

Name: Iain Waugh

Physical: Slightly taller than average, sandy-blond Australian stereotype [ie. accent, slang, and the like.] Weapons Loadout Officer, but spends more time in the Canteen drinking than in the Hangars rearming [but then, the Interceptors don't go out too often, do they? He'd work, what, 3-hour weeks?] Gregarious, heavy drinker, blah blah blah.

Writer: Anyone who feels like doing an Aussie stereotype. Mweh.

• 3 weeks later...

As a mental exercise, I've been logging all the character descriptions in a database. It turned out to be easy to do an HTML export. So as an aid to all the other writers, I've posted a snapshot.

Link: XCOM UFO Fanfic Characters Table

This contains everything to the present date, including the filler characters I made up for the Oct. 21 squad assignment post and changes since then. Roles, Squad Assignments, and Creators are all here. Mortality is occasionally indicated but PM the creator before killing someone off - with the exception of the Filler.

The three corporals (Seiko, Rheinhauser, and Wales) aren't here but we will add them if no-one takes the job of squad leader. (Warlord shouldn't have to be both HW and Leader, Tammy shouldn't have to be Medic and Leader.) Also Squad 3 is a little oversized because we haven't specified who the new player-characters have replaced yet.

Hope it helps,

JFG