Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux

Nookrium

C'est la vie.

The sad thing is, considering it was a mix of tough Mutons and Ethereals, you were probably only a very small handful of high ranking Ethereals. No luck here, but this is definitely the sort of base I'd try to destroy by destroying the control room and escaping as quickly as possible.

Since you don't appear to have the weapon pickup option on, you might want to get into the habit of dropping your weapons each turn when fighting Ethereals. Especially with the launchers. It's a pain, but at least you won't have your troops turn their Blasters on each other like they did here.

Finally: Don't forget to build and start packing some Alloy Shotguns.

- NKF

I don't remember, does alien get the "spot you" benefit on X-COM turn 1 when units are deployed? I really really would like to have Hobbes change the PSI attacks the same way Tycho modified for TFTD Extender. Increase penalty for range and limit the intelligence for PSI attacks to last only 1 turn. Probably only the range penalty could be easily done in the mod.

I don't remember, does alien get the "spot you" benefit on X-COM turn 1 when units are deployed? I really really would like to have Hobbes change the PSI attacks the same way Tycho modified for TFTD Extender. Increase penalty for range and limit the intelligence for PSI attacks to last only 1 turn. Probably only the range penalty could be easily done in the mod.

I think this is already included with OpenXcom? Or is it different for TFTD? (I never used it so I can't tell the difference)

Psi.png

In any case, I'm trying to avoid changing any of the original game's mechanics. I've changed a couple of things like the aliens Psi Defense to make Psi-Amps less overpowered and or research times but I'm not interested in trying to fix all the OG's issues.

Hobbes, I've used this feature in my first OpenXcom playthrough and this is too OP switch. LoF for psi attacks just makes the PSI non existant unless you are fighting only Etherals and even then it's nothing special. Now if you look through my TFTD Extender playthrough you'll find that somewhere nearing the end Tycho made more adjustments to the PSI mechanics which were more bearable by the player. Weak at distance but powerful up close. The last mission Nook had proves that MC is pretty out of control.

Oh and by the way, I've noticed that recent 0.7 updates override UFOExtender: Starting Avalanches somehow.

By the way Nook, I hope that your viewers won't get mad if I borrow some names?

As many times as I've gotten them killed I can't imagine there's anything left for them to get mad about ;)

Since you don't appear to have the weapon pickup option on, you might want to get into the habit of dropping your weapons each turn when fighting Ethereals. Especially with the launchers. It's a pain, but at least you won't have your troops turn their Blasters on each other like they did here.

I do have it on (at least it was, I'll have to check since I reinstalled) but it still might be my best option to drop weapons afterwards, and leave the grenades at home I guess.

Finally: Don't forget to build and start packing some Alloy Shotguns.

Right!

Hobbes, I've used this feature in my first OpenXcom playthrough and this is too OP switch. LoF for psi attacks just makes the PSI non existant unless you are fighting only Etherals and even then it's nothing special. Now if you look through my TFTD Extender playthrough you'll find that somewhere nearing the end Tycho made more adjustments to the PSI mechanics which were more bearable by the player. Weak at distance but powerful up close. The last mission Nook had proves that MC is pretty out of control.

MC is pretty out of control because the player gets trashed by it while trying to assault an Alien Base with Ethereals without having researched Psi Lab and screened out the psi weaklings and no HWPs? That proves to me exactly the opposite, that it is working as intended. Mess with the bull, get the horn smile.png

In any case, implementing such a feature like TFTD's Extender Psi require skills I don't possess and it would require a customized .exe file to run.

Oh and by the way, I've noticed that recent 0.7 updates override UFOExtender: Starting Avalanches somehow.

That can be 2 reasons: because Redux ruleset is loading after UFOExtender and overriding its definitions, but that's actually unlikely because Redux makes no change to the Interceptors so both rulesets shouldn't conflict. Or because the developers are in the middle of implementing the mod system for TFTD and there's a bug around.

Just checked with SupSuper about this issue. The reason is because the startingBase ruleset section isn't modular and there 1 of the mods will always override the other. UFOExtender Starting Avalanches ruleset changes the items section by adding the Avalanches to the base's stores and Redux does the same to items by adding the new weapons, so you can have either one (depending on which gets loaded last) but not both.

Thanks for getting to the bottom of it. It's no biggie, just a minor nuisance.

I want Redux to be as compatible as possible with other mods so for the next version I've removed a few things from the startingBase, including the Darkstar and the extra hangar. Unfortunately, to get Redux to be compatible with Starting Avalanches it seems I'd also have to remove the new weapons from the base stores (which is here they conflict now since the Avalanche mod also changes the items on the starting base) and I want the player to have some new toys to play in case a UFO appears before your first buys arrive.

I've removed the Darkstar/extra hangar because I find it to be a very useful asset for stalking UFOs but also because the location of the extra hangar really limits how you can customize the initial base for defense.

Nook, do you have enabled PSI Strength training? I believe that it allows improving PSI strength when soldier gets attack by PSI, this might (if lucky) turn PSI weakling to something more useful and it's not as OP as PSI LoF.

I just turned it on an episode or 2 ago, I haven't checked to see if anyones has risen yet.

I just turned it on an episode or 2 ago, I haven't checked to see if anyones has risen yet.

Btw, Nook, the option to disable psionics that you keep looking for at the beginning of the last two episodes is not under 'Options' but on the list of mods (where you activate UFO Redux).

Btw, Nook, the option to disable psionics that you keep looking for at the beginning of the last two episodes is not under 'Options' but on the list of mods (where you activate UFO Redux).

The cowardly part of me REALLY wants to turn on the LOS psi button but I'm going to resist!! etheral.gif

Time for a much needed "easy" mission...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHLlYXmm-8E