Let's Play X-Com: Terror from the Deep

Nookrium

And a standard grenade will kill them without destroying the equipment?

If you drop 2 tiles away it shouldn't destroy items since standard grenade has 50 HE damage same as HJ HE round. And throwing is far more accurate than shooting (specially by rookies) or you can just drop it on the spot. Or maybe it must be 3 tiles away. Is it 50% less damage per tile? I don't know how much HE damage must unconscious aliens take.

Quoting from the video:

I can't afford to lose another Space Voyager

Yes you can and you did and you will with many more. :P You have a special discount on SV cloning machine. Also Zombie your argument sunk at 10:00 :P (you need special dice roll to understand what and how I am referencing to).

Also I've noticed you strangely rely on the grenades. You need to focus more on shooting than throwing. Also the breaching of the UFO. You should have used the person in Ion Armour to go first, since the frontal armour is almost impenetrable by sonic guns.

Also answering your question how did he saw your aquanauts - aliens get to know all your soldiers once they spot any of your soldiers. They know their whereabouts until certain amount of turns - check alien intelligence on ufopaedia to learn for how long. In general it's 4-8 turns ranging between ranks from soldier to commander.

The video for base assault will be put somewhere in the weekend. Though I am tempted to wait for Mag Ion Armour. Also I think you are playing on Superhuman difficulty - most of the lobsters I hit require 3 shots from Sonic Cannon - and I don't think it's because of RNG. You've started the game on 1.0 patch and I think in TFTD there was a bug that after first mission (or save) the difficulty rises to Superhuman - ironically comparing to the bug in EU where the difficulty switched to Beginner. NKF knows how you can check it.

I had to do few missions just to rank up soldiers (I'm looking at you Mr. Space Voyager IX). Also this a little spoiled a future videos for me.

If you are not recording in advance then I suggest preparing some relaxing pills, using wife and taking some puffs :D and drink few beers.

Watching the video I didn't pay attention, but you have only 1 Medi-kit, 2 flares(!!!!) and only 10 technicians. You must do something with it. Buy more flares ASAP. I also forgot - I think you should switch research ASAP to Sonic Oscillators then Magnetic Navigation then Mag Ion Armour and THEN M.C. Lab.

I've sold all of the useless staff (sonic pistols, blastas) lots of unwanted stuff and I've managed to get 4.5kk cash build a workshop and higher more technicians.

Also I've noticed you strangely rely on the grenades. You need to focus more on shooting than throwing.

I rely heavily on grenades because my aquanauts can't hit the broadside of a Lobsterman. The grenade / duck behind cover routine has saved many lives.

Also I think you are playing on Superhuman difficulty - most of the lobsters I hit require 3 shots from Sonic Cannon - and I don't think it's because of RNG. You've started the game on 1.0 patch and I think in TFTD there was a bug that after first mission (or save) the difficulty rises to Superhuman - ironically comparing to the bug in EU where the difficulty switched to Beginner. NKF knows how you can check it.

Wha?!?! That's a very dirty bug, although it would help explain why the aliens can't miss a shot!

Watching the video I didn't pay attention, but you have only 1 Medi-kit, 2 flares(!!!!) and only 10 technicians. You must do something with it. Buy more flares ASAP. I also forgot - I think you should switch research ASAP to Sonic Oscillators then Magnetic Navigation then Mag Ion Armour and THEN M.C. Lab.

I've sold all of the useless staff (sonic pistols, blastas) lots of unwanted stuff and I've managed to get 4.5kk cash build a workshop and higher more technicians.

Yeah, my supply of Medi-kits and flares have slowly been vaporized away. I suppose the 1 medi-kit won't be enough to make it through the whole game eh? lol

Just to provide some reassurance: TFTD's difficulty bug does not exist. This was fixed.

It's a belief perpetuated from the fact the game is quite hard on players at the beginning. The devs ramped up the aliens but toned down a lot of the starting equipment (bar a few things like the Gas Cannon and Thermal Tazer, which got improvements).

UFO did have a difficulty bug that reverted everything back to beginner, but according to Julian Gollop from his talk at GDC 2013, the game does have some internal balancing mechanics of its own to make the game harder or easier depending on how the player was doing. So the game still continued to provide a reasonable challenge even though you faced less enemies. Beginner also forced you to be much more frugal with money due to the scarcity of loot.

Again, I ask. Has anyone informed Neptune of the Fighter bug?

If you would so graciously do the honours... wink.png

- NKF

This is from UFOpaedia.org

The rumour goes that a new bug was supposedly introduced as a result, where TFTD's difficulty would reset to Superhuman instead of Beginner. The facts of the matter are that, while the overall difficulty of the game was increased, TFTD does manage to correctly keep track of which specific mode you're supposed to be playing in.

I guess my March Lobsterman is just bad luck. TftD is definitely quite a bit more difficult than UFO, I've been watching another LP of OpenXcom and there's several times that I've seen where the LPer would have been annihilated if he was on TftD but the aliens simply miss or just walk away.

Just to provide some reassurance: TFTD's difficulty bug does not exist. This was fixed.

It's a belief perpetuated from the fact the game is quite hard on players at the beginning. The devs ramped up the aliens but toned down a lot of the starting equipment (bar a few things like the Gas Cannon and Thermal Tazer, which got improvements).

UFO did have a difficulty bug that reverted everything back to beginner, but according to Julian Gollop from his talk at GDC 2013, the game does have some internal balancing mechanics of its own to make the game harder or easier depending on how the player was doing. So the game still continued to provide a reasonable challenge even though you faced less enemies. Beginner also forced you to be much more frugal with money due to the scarcity of loot.

If you would so graciously do the honours... wink.png

- NKF

You know, when you have two bases, You transfer a fighter to the base, send it to a spot on the geoscape and it will sit there until it either runs out of ammo, or you're not quick enough and it goes back to base before you can stop it. Otherwise it never runs out fuel.

That's the bug!

Why would you even suggest using exploits on Let's Play?

Part 2 and 3 of the colony assault. I officially declare Mr. Doublecheese (NKF) the luckiest git on the planet. Must have been born with uncanny luck trait.

I wanted it to end a little different, but even I have limits for patience.

Nook when in your LP will decide to bomb that colony - just remember to take Zerbite with you back home if you intend to go grab the commander, destroy the synonium device and scram. You must have it in inventory. It won't show in summary but it will be there. You know where to look for it.

Part 2 and 3 of the colony assault. I officially declare Mr. Doublecheese (NKF) the luckiest git on the planet. Must have been born with uncanny luck trait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlqrIa6Otnc

Hey silencer, could you possibly create a short video just showing the Zrbite locations and recovery method? Yes, I watched the video above and while it's in there, the location and recovery are separated due to fighting etc. I think this would be a good teaching tool for people who want to recover Zrbite from colonies. wink.png

I created an image (below) showing the location, but it's not the same as a video. :)

A_BASE15 L2 Zrbite.png

- Zombie

There is nothing much to it. Just find the room. Destroy the marked tiles without using explosives. Pick up the zrbite. Destroy the colony center and scram. The zrbite will not show in the report but it will be added to the stores.

Same thing can be done in EU if the base has power sources, but in EU it's much easier to kill all the aliens.

It's the good old smash and grab . Only difference is that it's made easier since the zrbite is located above the area the Lobsterman commanders are hiding.

You know, I can't really figure out where I saw the zrbite elsewhere around the colony. Must have been from way back in the old days when I was young and still tripping out on the Xcomutil. I'm so glad I've grown out of it. wink.png I know it did some wacky things with its map reconstruction and random sub maps routines, and you'd get odd situations where the zrbite is found on their own out on the seabed. That is, XComutil would rebuild the map but leave the Zrbite where it was originally meant to be.

I guess it's just the zrbite found in subs that need some care depending on what object they're embedded in.

- NKF

Hey hey, SV, you got quite a decent clone right out the vat! If clone IX can stay alive for a few missions, he's going to be doing 100+% kneeling aimed shots with that sonic cannon. Also at the rates of hits Silencer's been scoring in this mission alone, he'll likely be up there very quickly as well. Once you get a small squad of guys that can't miss, they'll be quite an amazing asset for the team.

- NKF