#41 illegal youth

illegal youth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:57 PM

View PostJh316, on 8th June 2007, 2:27pm, said:

Actually, you get experience from wounded aliens as well.

still, my gripe is that soldier leveling is user directed instead of action directed.  some people may like this, but i think it allows players to overpower attributes that wouldn't ordinarily be overpowered had they developed more "naturally" (i use the term loosely).

#42 nzgunner

nzgunner

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:49 AM

I've just the got the game and all I can say is WOW!!

It takes real guts to put out a game when the legacy of its predecessor is going to loom so large over it.

Learning and playing UFO: EU on my old Amiga is one of those watershed moments in my gaming life as it seems to be for a fair few others as well. Other games have come along knowing they will measured against the original UFO colossus - Chaos Gate, JA2, Silent Storm and the UFO: A series being the main ones - but UFO: ET has been brazenly promoted as the spiritual successor to its venerable ancestor.

It also takes real guts to sell a game where the graphics look like they were developed 10 years ago, and even then done badly - and unfortunately that is my overwhelming initial impression from this game.

The WOW!! isn't because I'm impressed, it is because I am horribly, horribly disappointed. I exited my first game feeling empty and slightly sick.

When I first saw one of my troopers shoot at an alien not directly lined up with direction of his gun, and the bullet flew off at a bizarre angle, it absolutely killed any sense of immersion I had experienced to that point. The shot didn't hit the alien, but it flew out of the screen, and smashed deep into my soul with a hollow thwack.

Yes, yes, yes - gameplay is more important than eye-candy - but I don't think that it is too much to ask that in the 21st century a game can have enough animations (it doesn't have to be 3d) to at least make things not look too bad. UFO: ET has got to be close to the worst looking commercial release in the last 10 years.

I still play JA2 and would play Chaos Gate if I could get it to run properly, the dated graphics don't bother me in the slightest. But UFO: ET is just plain ugly and not in a nostalgic, kitsch sort of way.

Maybe there's a great game in there trying to break out from underneath the grotesque visuals in the tactical interface (the strategic screens are fine) - obviously a lot of you like it - but I worry that I am not man enough to find out.

#43 Dix

Dix

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:19 PM

I have to admit, I love this game. I'll admit it has faults - you do get terror missions, which is the only time you see civillians. Who consist of two models only, apprently, and seem unable to run away in terror, no matter how many aliens are chasing them down the street. (instead, they walk. slowly, calmy, and frequently right towards the hordes baying for their blood. The game throwing away 2/3 of my newly manufactured heavy laser ammo because each soldier fired one shot from each clip was also ...frustrating.

But the flavor of the game is there. Alien ships and bases are full of mysterious machines and weird scenery, I can blow my way through walls instead of walking to the door, and there is always something new to research. And you will lose more than one soldier to the shot in the back, as something slithers out a darkened room.

(The research is a big plus for me - in the orginal X-Com, once you had the heavy plasma and third level armor, that was it. In this game, I had heavy plasma's, brand spanking new armor only just researched and manufactured, and I was killing aliens with ease. I also had a brand new marque of interceptor built, armed with new shields, cannons and missiles, capable of eating three of my old interceptors for lunch. I thought it was pretty much game over at that point. Then a new, BIG UFO appeared, blew up my new interceptors in half a dozen shots, captured one of my bases and then landed. I attacked it with my tooled up soldiers, only to find the aliens had new combat robots, new guns and new personal armor. Wiped out 2/3 of my squad and left the last three nearly dead before I brought the last one down, but boy did it feel good. I've since learnt that the new UFO is only in the middle ranks of the alien hierarchy, and the aliens crewing it are still only foot soldiers. And the shiny new guns that wiped me out are likely to be obsolete by the time I can get them deployed to my soldiers, or finish trying to come up with better armor to counter them. There's some 120-odd items to research. Lovely.. :)

The graphics don't really bother me - in fact, I like them. the only ones that look really spritey are your soldiers themselves - aliens, tanks, ships and landscape all look tasty, and layouts make sense. The visual style of the game is distinctive enough that it  can feel interesting, and the levels feel differant from each other.

For the biggest faults, esp. for the X-COM purist, the game can be modded easily enough, bringing in everything from gaining exp. simply for participating in a mission, to soldiers dying and being hired - and to get rid of the problem with ammo clips I mentioned earlier. The UFOpedia text is a little unwieldy, but given the game was developed by an entirely non-English, small-size team, that is understandable. Bottom line, if you liked X-COM, you'll find a lot to like here. It even has the snakemen. complete with giant rodent teeth. Enjoy. :)

#44 daredevil

daredevil

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

View PostDix, on 25th June 2007, 9:19am, said:

I have to admit, I love this game...

But the flavor of the game is there. Alien ships and bases are full of mysterious machines and weird scenery, I can blow my way through walls instead of walking to the door, and there is always something new to research...

I thought it was pretty much game over at that point. Then a new, BIG UFO appeared, blew up my new interceptors in half a dozen shots, captured one of my bases and then landed.

Bottom line, if you liked X-COM, you'll find a lot to like here. It even has the snakemen. complete with giant rodent teeth. Enjoy. :)

Now that's the glowing endorsement I needed before buying this game.  I hope that nzgunner gives it another chance, because it sounds like there's a lot to like in this game.

#45 That Guy

That Guy

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:14 PM

So for so good, sense I have given up trying to get the orginal X-Com working on my computer. I was delighted to come acrossed a knock-off X-Com.  I have no problems, so far except for half my soldiers are in the freaking hospital!! Stupid larva guys.  I'm gald to see that they improved the shooting, because in the old version I would accidentally fire into thin air, all the time.  I like the experince and yes, I do miss the kill counter.
Over all, I'd give UFO-ET an 7 out of 10, X-Com is a solid 9 out of 10.
Who's that guy and what is he doing with her?

#46 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

View PostThat Guy, on 11th July 2007, 10:14pm, said:

So for so good, sense I have given up trying to get the orginal X-Com working on my computer. I was delighted to come acrossed a knock-off X-Com.  I have no problems, so far except for half my soldiers are in the freaking hospital!! Stupid larva guys.  I'm gald to see that they improved the shooting, because in the old version I would accidentally fire into thin air, all the time.  I like the experince and yes, I do miss the kill counter.
Over all, I'd give UFO-ET an 7 out of 10, X-Com is a solid 9 out of 10.
Did you patch the game? I was under the impression it added a kill counter.
Posted Image

#47 illegal youth

illegal youth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:43 PM

I was under the impression it added a kill counter.

i don't think the patch did that.  bman's ease of use mod does, though.

#48 stevie331

stevie331

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

I've just got the game and am about 1/2 hour into playing it. I actually really like it-it feels familiar!!
I noticed on some other posts about there being difficulty lrvrl settings but I didn't see any on the start up menu.
On

I've just got the game and am really enjoying it. Being similar to X-Com I know where all the buttons etc are but with minor differences!! I saw somewhere that there was a difficulty setting but have'nt come across this?
Also on p10 of manual the graphic of Geosscape left hand side bottom symbol (6) has terror written below it-is this gonna be a terror site?
I don't think (so far) that the aliens have been better than my men-they seem to be just as lousy shooting and missing as my men. Also they can be equipped with first aid packs so maybe they can be treated on field. As I say i've only started game and haven't come across the issues others have posted about (yet).
Also hopefully if others see the interest in game maybe more X-Com type games will be developed and put on sale.
Rgds Steve

#49 Dix

Dix

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

You can access the difficulty settings after you install B-Man's Ease of use mod - for the mod, and installation instructions, check the forums on the official site. Terror missions will come, and don't worry, the aliens will get more deadly. Esp. with the mod, but even without it they'll be eating  squaddies for lunch.

#50 Aralez

Aralez

Forum Grandpa'

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

I bought the game yesterday and i fully agree with the reviews of Dix and Stevie331, it's really a must for all Xcom fans. As Dix said it has its faults, but nothing that would keep you from playing. And all those mods-> Wow! The only thing i miss is a real save-game-editor and an easy-to-use editor for everything else. Otoh the files semm to be rather easy tedit without those as well...

#51 Zaljin

Zaljin

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:42 PM

Hi,

Im new to UFO ET, but I was/am a hunge fan of Xcom, and Terror from the deep. i liked that. Xcom Apcal.... it was cool. but I rember one time I had like 30 soldiers in one battle. Anyway getting of track here. When I played xcom I used to scout for enemy bases, with my fighter crafts. Now can you do this on ET or is it a waste of time? Also I have been trying to get more scientectst (wrong spelled so sue me) and techni.... (ok one more soo what?). How do you get them by building new labs and workshops?

Just for the record Its fun to relive the old but stil new TERROR... of xcom. Dissipointed with no terror mission... *sniff sniff* But do you guys know if you can fly? with a suit I mean.

Anyway its a new day and Im tired soo see ya tomorrow.  bye guys and girls of course

#52 stevie331

stevie331

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:18 AM

Hi
You can get more scientists and technicians by building more labs/workshops-each building supplies 10 extra scientists or technians-I'm playing without the mods and am doing ok so far. I've just come across some aliens with paralysing powers that are a bit sneaky and have had a fair few of my men/women recovering in hospital after missions!!
I'm waiting to see if my newly researched first aid kit and weapons are going to help me!!
Rgds Steve :blush:

#53 illegal youth

illegal youth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

zaljin,

there's no flight in UFO: ET, and the highest number of units (soldiers and/or vehicles) that can be brought to a mission is 12.

you can scout areas with your craft in the geoscape, just like in XCOM.

terror missions appear randomly and are not spawned by a UFO.  during the early game (first era), terror missions are extremely rare.

hope that helps.

#54 DreadJon

DreadJon

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:38 PM

I don’t find the fact you can only take 10 men and 2 vehicles limiting, that said however I was completing era 3 battleship capture missions with a basic transport carrying only 8 men.

Less CAF units = more interesting combat

First impression wise I found that the interface was inferior to that of apoc’s inside tactical missions and pre-patch poor on the geoscape.

With the patch the geoscape interface reminds me of one of a game a few years old.

Which to be honest is my overall first impression of ufo-et; that it was a game released a couple of years before ufo-am.

That said I haven’t played tactical missions as hard or as fun since the scripted ones on ufo-am.

Seriously thou why are there era 1 aliens on the battleships sometimes?
your ad here

contact the forum admin

#55 illegal youth

illegal youth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:26 PM

Seriously thou why are there era 1 aliens on the battleships sometimes?

its part of the game engine.  each era aliens have a chance of appear in any era after they are first introduced, but that chance gets smaller as the game progresses.  so first era aliens have a chance of appearing in the late game (for instance, fourth era), but that chance is relatively small.

#56 Aralez

Aralez

Forum Grandpa'

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:02 PM

There is a modder called Bman working on flying suits (among other stuff), check his thread here oin this site:
http://ufo-scene.com/news.php

Btw, no wonder that some reviewers complain about the "bad" graphics: They simply did not know that you can zoom  in and out in tac missions. If zoomed out the graphics look much more impressing. (FWIW numpad + and numpad -)

#57 illegal youth

illegal youth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

bman's 3.0 mod is going to have a lot of amazing changes -- an expanded research tree, new items, aliens from XCOM, flying, mind control, panicking... it's going to be a whole other game, heh.

i've used the zoom feature (introduced in the first patch), and it doesn't help much.  have you zoomed in on a soldier?  zoomed in sprites are pretty ugly.  but consider that i still find XCOM's graphics acceptable, i don't mind.

#58 Zaljin

Zaljin

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:44 PM

Yeah I know I can scout like in the xcom, but is there alien bases on the planet or will I just look for UFO. cause when my ships done its scouting it goes home and refulies and it takes some time. and then a UFO comes and begs to get shoot down. But no fuel in my aircrafts.

Ok so there is terror missions, usaly in Terror from the deep (I dont know with the same applies to Xcom) but at the end of every mounth there was a terror strike, usaly a ship. Anyway Im just glad to find out about the terrors.

Also that reminds me, I know its to this subject but do you guys know how to fix the Xcom bug for XP? When I start the screen gets al scrambeled and tiny. Do you know how I can fix that bug?

#59 illegal youth

illegal youth

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

yes there are alien bases in UFO: ET, but only in territories that the aliens control.  usually you'll scout out a landed ufo first, then after completing that mission, an alien base will appear on the same spot.

to get XCOM running in XP, use f0dder's patch (i'm sure it's in the files section) or get XCOMUTIL, which includes f0dder's patch among a number of other fixes/changes.

#60 Aralez

Aralez

Forum Grandpa'

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:08 PM

OK, now after playing UFOET for some days i must admit: It is my new Xcom! All those years Xcom was my favourite game and no "copy" could even scratch at its throne. But UFOET did. And now it is my new favourite!

Excellent graphics (when zoomed out), lots of stuff to research, many alien types, good interceptions, nice troop management: I like it! Lots of fun!  :blush:

And those mods, wowowowow....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users