XCOM Enemy Unknown's Base

Pete

GameInformer have put together an interactive base shown in earlier screenshots of the upcoming XCOM: Enemy Unknown game from Firaxis.

base.jpg laboratories.jpg foundry.jpg

XCOM's tech tree will have some significantly divergent branches, so you likely won't be able to build everything in a single playthrough.

You can check out the various topics covered in this interactive piece including the boosts various facilities give to research and manufacturing, as well as get a feel for the rest of your base.

Source: GameInformer

I didn't like the look of the side split view of the base at first, but hearing about how it's interactive and you get to watch your actual guys wandering around at work, rest or play it sounds good.

I like the idea of digging deeper underground too. Imagine if you dug too deep and hit water, causing it to flood your base with Gillmen or aliens from Terror from the Deep... Ok, maybe I've gone too far. :clapping:

Sounds to me like added depth (both in the literal sense and gameplay-wise) for bases from the descriptions.

::

I'm not especially phased by the side view thing, but having it be an actual 'living' environment is certainly a nice touch. So, thumbs up! :clapping:

Every new article about this game that I read makes me hope the world doesn't end on 12/12/12. I was on the fence before, but now I'd really rather it didn't.

Green soldiers begin the game a little more timid in combat than veterans, but as they level up they'll grow more accustomed to firefights, become less susceptible to fear attacks,

I wonder if that means different approach in psionics like in UFO:ET where your bravery counted as Psi-Defence.

Well, not entirely at random, no. But largely from a sampling of callers to a special forces Suicide hotline. :P

"Screening question 22: You feel you've done it all. Would you like to confront a lethal alien life form before you die?" ;):D

////////////////////// Tactical Deployment Alpha-Tango \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

:(:oh:

:D

:clapping::):P

:D

.........._Feed_End_..........

True, it was implied that a rookie might panic when facing a particularly nasty alien. I don't like the sound of that though, these are X-COM soldiers after all. One would think they weren't picked at random.

You do remember playing the original, right? :clapping:

I often did wonder if the world just sent in it's lowest IQ soldiers to join X-COM because they knew what the mortality rate was like. Certainly they liked to send the ones that dribbled slightly and knew all to well what friendly fire was - and how to cause it.

I do hope that they did not remove base defense out of the game, that would be very disappointing.

I don't think they will miss that out, but obviously I can't say for sure. If you've seen the screenshot where the squad are moving out past the hologram of the Earth in the briefing room, I was thinking that that was an in-game shot.

Sure, it could just be a sort of in-game cinematic for when you select a mission so you see your soldiers walking towards the Skyranger, but I'm hopeful that the fact that it looks to be in-game graphics means they've spent some time on all the base modules just for base defense :D The only issue with base defense is that the base sounds like it could get ridiculously large, so I'm not sure about a squad of 6 sweeping the entire place.

If they do have base defense though and the aliens take out the briefing room, I'd appreciate it if damaged equipment actually took time to replace - being blind for a short while would add to the tension :clapping:

Something else that just occurred to me that would be fun (but extremely unlikely) is if the aliens eventually destroy the satellites and you have to build morse code base modules in the later game :P

Keep in mind panic attacks need not come from psionic assault. Non-psi situations in which a soldier could panic may be expanded, beyond just squad losses.

Yes - but what first comes to your mind when you see 'FEAR ATTACK' ? For me it is psi-panic.

I was thinking that that was an in-game shot.

Maybe when you scroll through base - going to labs etc, the base is alive and simply soldiers patrol the base etc. This shot could be taken when either leaving geoscope or entering it. Could be cinematics too.

Wasn't it like, if a higher ranking officer went down the lower ranking guys would start to panic or something.

Yeah I think the higher the rank of the person killed, the more damage it did to everyone's morale. It made good sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Screen 2 sure has some lovely deformations and terrain destruction going on. :blush:

Don't know if we can extrapolate this into what can be expected of the game overall in terms of general terrain deformation though, as it seems pretty specific to the location (what with the tanker truck torn in half setpiece).

Or, in other words, there's room for debate on how much physics are actually behind destruction as it could be somewhat "tile-set" based (pre-determined for gas station assets, forest assets, respective ground, etc. accordingly).