Why You Should Care About XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Hobbes

I've always wanted a turn-based Resident Evil strategy game.

You're playing as perhaps 2-3 Raccoon Police Department officers during the T-virus outbreak, the whole city is populated by zombies, zombie dogs, horrible mutant creatures, etc, and you have to escape. Day/night cycle, lots of survivors around who are more or less useful and can be recruited (random dispersal every game), nice big map full of buildings to explore, you can hole up anywhere and barricade the place, scavenge weapons and items, attack Umbrella facilities to find out more about the plot, etc.

You could even have encounters with rival groups of survivors (consisting of people you could have recruited had you got to them first) and Umbrella soldiers.

/heartbroken

XCOM is certain to be a lot more difficult than Final Fantasy Tactics

If he'd played FFT he'd know there are some bastard hard difficulty spikes in that game.

If he'd played FFT he'd know there are some bastard hard difficulty spikes in that game.

He'd also know that it was the game itself that gave Cid the "thunder god" nickname (for those not in the know, Cid was a total game breaker. Not in the least due to his instant-use ranged lightning blast attack, but mostly because his stats were through the roof. Heck, the fricken' sword he came with was a game breaker, but he himself still broke things pretty well on his own).

Tis strange that this game gets more hype than the 2K Xcom..... And strangely this game will appear no sooner than Q4 2012 or Q1 2013.... not that I don't like it I will pre-order it as soon as I will be able too.

Fallout tactics - Iron man mode - hard settings anyone ? Or Jagged Alliance Wildfire or 1.13 Iron man mode :)

You can exclude iron man mode if you don't abuse save/load too much :(

Tis strange that this game gets more hype than the 2K Xcom..... And strangely this game will appear no sooner than Q4 2012 or Q1 2013.... not that I don't like it I will pre-order it as soon as I will be able too.

Last XCOM game we had was Enforcer about a decade ago, which general consensus seems to classify it as mediocre. Then another first person shooter is announced, but with a completely different setting, and again the franchise keeps away from the strategy genere.

Then they announce a remake of the original XCom - and, this time it's by a major company with a history of strategy games. And they start putting out these really nice pics. This is just something that everyone who played the original game wanted for a long long time. If we want to play FPS there's plenty of other titles already well established.

PS - I hadn't played the original game for some years... just had my first night mission with Chryssalids 2 days ago :)

Whoa, whoa, whoa. The official website says XCOM:EU will be released this fall, which means Q3 2012. Well, it might mean Q4 too I guess... but don't go scaring me with your speculations! :)

Whoa, whoa, whoa. The official website says XCOM:EU will be released this fall, which means Q3 2012. Well, it might mean Q4 too I guess... but don't go scaring me with your speculations! :)

I too want this game NOW! But I try to look on todays gameing markets - every big title (and this one is pretty big one) had their release dates moved once or twice by few months.... or were a masacre on the release (or both). Now I don't wish Firaxis anything bad, but I want this game to be good at start hell we can all live with Superhuman to Novice save bugs as long as the game is playable...

This is looking better and better with each screen shot I see!

I agree. I've gone from cautious skepticism to uncontrollable excitement in the space of 3 or 4 days.

Fallout tactics - Iron man mode - hard settings anyone ? Or Jagged Alliance Wildfire or 1.13 Iron man mode :)

You can exclude iron man mode if you don't abuse save/load too much :(

Of course it gets more hype than the 2K Xcom! How hyped can anyone get about ANOTHER FPS. :(

On the subject of Iron Man mode. I really hope they add that feature. I'm one of those people who ruin my own fun by totally abusing the save/load feature. I just can't help myself.

I LOVE Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm in Iron Man mode. What's the point in creating a challenging game when it's so easy and tempting to cheat with the save/load.

I LOVE Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm in Iron Man mode. What's the point in creating a challenging game when it's so easy and tempting to cheat with the save/load.

As long as the difficulty is not ridiculously high that save/reload (or the accursed checkpoint save/reload system) isn't the only way to get through some parts of the game, I think it should be fine.

Just let it be something you can choose to do as you play - not an enforcible game mechanic that you can toggle permanently when creating the campaign.

- NKF

As long as the difficulty is not ridiculously high that save/reload (or the accursed checkpoint save/reload system) isn't the only way to get through some parts of the game, I think it should be fine.

Just let it be something you can choose to do as you play - not an enforcible game mechanic that you can toggle permanently when creating the campaign.

- NKF

I remember my first (or thereabouts) Superhuman game in Enemy Unknown - I seem to recall jumping from Beginner straight to Superhuman after playing the former for many years. I wished at the time I could have switched to an easier setting part-way though, but soon appreciated the fact that I couldn't, else it makes the whole thing a bit of a farce.

I like to be able to say "I completed it on Superhuman", not "I completed it mostly on Superhuman" :)

Thing is, if you can disable Iron Man mode mid-game it kind of loses its purpose. You go back to square one, in which your willpower's responsible for not letting you cave in and reload if things go wrong. I'm not sure a small checkbox in the way would be much of an obstacle, since you'd know the game's not really forcing you to suck it up and move on.

Thing is, if you can disable Iron Man mode mid-game it kind of loses its purpose. You go back to square one, in which your willpower's responsible for not letting you cave in and reload if things go wrong. I'm not sure a small checkbox in the way would be much of an obstacle, since you'd know the game's not really forcing you to suck it up and move on.

I was thinking along the lines of a tickbox that enforces Nethack/Rouge-Like styled save/reload rules. Could be rather frustrating if this game continues the trend and includes the good old blaster-bomb-into-the-Skyranger type gameplay. :)

The other option is stat collection. Every time a tactical mission is reloaded, you'll get to see how many times it was done on the end-mission tally. Perhaps even keep a running total in some stats screen. Something that supports but doesn't get in the way of playing the game.

- NKF

One of my big questions is regarding destructible environments... I know they will be there, but is it like the old one where you take out the first floor and the rest of the building floats, or will it all come crumbling down now?

Hopefully it should be more advanced than the original game, at least as in Apocalypse where you could send entire buildings coming down by blowing up their foundations.

Has anyone hear played (or tried to play) CIV V?

What a buggy disaster. It's been out for almost a year and a half and it's still a mess.

After that cluster-frak I pretty much swore off any Firaxis game, ever.

If it wasn't for the 'screw the customers' experience I had with Civ V I'd be a lot more excited about this.

To be fair, Firaxis have put out great hits in the past like the earlier Civilization incarnations, Alpha Centauri, etc. Also the people working on the title aren't necessarily the exact same bunch that messed up with Civ 5.

Best take the wait and see approach (as always, unfortunately).

- NKF