Firaxis remaking XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Kernel

I'm sure I must have read about this, but I don't remember it blink.png

That's worrying! grin.gif

Something I considered an urban legend until someone at UFOPaedia actually found it out in the game code. After round 20 the AI knows the locations of all your soldiers, regardless of where they are, when considering its actions.

Pete, Hobbes is talking about the original X-COM, not the new incarnation.

Anyway, IGN preview.

Check the interview with Jake Solomon - they show images of the demo with all of the advanced armor (including Sid Meier himself as the Psionic late class, nicknamed 'Godfather') and you get to see the Sectopod at the end...

Great gameplay footage there. They implied the zombie turns into a new Chryss only if left alone long enough and not when killed, though. Not sure what to think of that. Sure, I guess it's more realistic in a way, since however quickly, the alien would need some time to hatch within the host. But it makes Chryssalids a bit easier if the zombie stays dead when gunned down.

Or well, in the original they couldn't jump onto rooftops, so...

Mr Jake. I want a playable demo right now. Pretty please?

Too soft.

"Mr. Sectoid, please abduct Jake and conduct all sort of horrific scientific experiments on them until Firaxis releases a playable demo."

Quick article at Ars Technica.

::

Excerpt:

The turn-based tactical gameplay in the newest Xcom will be extremely familiar to anyone who played the original games. You're still leading a small squad of alien hunters through urban environments shown from an isometric, overhead perspective, taking turns with the invading forces as you try to outflank them while keeping behind cover. But fans of the original game will immediately notice that the new version is a bit more accommodating to new players, with a tightly scripted 45-minute tutorial (which was all that was playable at E3) that explains the game's flow and major actions.

He probably meant a 45-minute demo with some measure of tutorial integrated. 45 minutes of strictly tutorial excercises would scare off any non-hardcore gamer, so it's not a good remark to follow "a bit more accommodating to new players" with. Bleh, this kind of bad writing gives a wrong impression that might throw off a casual reader or three.

And the amount of scripting in there is likely for demonstrative purposes, as they've said in a number of interviews. Doesn't mean the game will be anywhere near that scripted. XCOM:EU is like the original, an expansive game, so as a dev you must script a tech demo considerably to condense as many features as possible in the limited available time.

I want that grapple gun in the original EU. Can it be done?

If this game is awesome, I'd want to see the game xonverted into the original EU 2D pixel whatever you call it form grin.gif

Edit: That IGN host is a big dummy, hence why I don't watch IGN anymore.

Hey blackops - I doubt it could be done with the original EU code, however it's more likely you could add a new feature in OpenXcom since it's a rewrite from the ground up.

That said, I don't think you'd be able to pull off an animation for it that would look any good in an isometric view, short of your soldier just getting dragged across the map in a standing posture. The best I'd imagine you'd be able to do is have a line fly out of a weapon to the target area and then your soldier would fly across that line, and it probably wouldn't look any good ;)

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like we'll be having multiplayer after all. No details on the number of players tho.

I added a Thin Man (perhaps my favourite unit because of its useful poison spit ability)...

If this statement is true and Thin Men have a poison spit, does that mean that Thin Men are.. Red Lectroids from Planet 10!?