TFTD Multiplayer Story

Grossbeer

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that after transmision resolver we can go for sonic oscilators - for DPL I think that we need to resaerch Zerbite first. Then we can go for the colony. Of course the thermal luncher would be nice to get that Lobster Navigator and Commander on the first run and of course MC tassoth / aquatoid.

Hard choices. Just a reminder: Lobstermen only take 30% of the damage dealt by HE weapons, as opposed to the 50% from sonic weapons. The only other immediate option available is the Thermal Shok bombs, which blow them away. So here are the options so far:

Get the Sonic Oscillator

Get the Disrupter Pulser Launcher

Get the Thermal Shok Launcher

Going the Sonic oscillator path provides more utility for the interceptor subs but doesn't greatly improve our firepower beyond what we've got. The DPL will be invaluable against the bigger subs where there are other DPL users about. The Thermal Shok Launcher is a one-off thing with no side benefits beyond the awesome launcher itself, but ammo is finite and building it costs a premium.

I think we've hit a fairly comfortable level of technology that we can take it any direction we all see fit during our turns.

- NKF

Nice work GB, the only loss was a bit of bad luck so kudos for yet another fine mission! Guessing it's Photon's turn to step in now if he's ready.

Are we keeping that living quarters next to the access lift? Seems an odd arrangement that we concentrate so hard on a chokepoint then make it double-width. Oh and what ships carry DPLs? Is it everything but small?

Thx we didnt score that much equipment but soldiers got exp! Which is now more important as the survivablity of our solders is increasing (due to Mag Ion armor).

I agree we should raze the living q near the airlock. right now it isnt much of a chokepoint really.

I never noticed that it depends on USO size if aliens carry DPL... i can imagine only squad leaders are allowed to carry one? and small usos aint got any? or technitians? anyone got info on that subject?

greez

It does seem short, with only 18 turns/missions so far (3 - 4 player cycles). We've made some good achievements though. A couple of them include:

We've hit a good level of technology with just the 50 scientists for the most part. We're getting more and it'll go faster, but we're already at a point that we have a fighting chance against lobstermen and MC screening is just around the corner.

We've had a few difficult battles, and despite the losses, we've had some good returns from them. So despite our varying spending habits, we're managing.

Most of the missions have been conducted with teams of absolute or near-rookies with only 1 - 2 missions under their belt. This will change a little with the Ion Armor rollout, with troops surviving a bit longer. But it means we've managed to get by with a mixture of tactics and luck more than high stats (though high stats does help!).

- NKF

Yay, had some lobstermen for breakfast! :laugh: game is ready for the next commander. I'd be able to handle one more game tomorrow.

Research wise, I put us on track for researching DPLs, although Sonic Oscillator tech is available for research now. We are a bit low on funds ($700K), but I think we should be alright as soon as some extra cannons / rifles are sold. We also have a few spare IBAs we can dispose of since we don't have use for yet, as we don't have the tech for building the new subs yet.

great job CP! antoher perfect mission on our belts :laugh:

on the research part i still vote for sonic oscis to safen our interceptor force a little.

and i recommend thatr we recruit (when funds are available) 20 more soldiers near the end of the month so we can take them right to mc monitoring, and letting them out of combat for a month(as i hate to see soldiers who are in monitoring die).

greez

Bloody amazing! How do these troops keep avoiding fire on everyone's turn but mine? Maybe I'll tell them to turn off the searchlights next time lol

Looking through all the missions we've had though it's crazy how quickly luck can change the course of a mission isn't it? I mean 4 lobbies in a matter of turns is no mean feat, if they'd been facing the troops however it would have become an ever greater challenge and would almost certainly have offered reaction fire. Especially if the 2 together were looking at the sub.

Like I said, it's a great mission without a single loss, no denying a skillfully executed mission but it could've gone very differently if just a few factors were different. The same with every mission we've played so far, for better or for worse, just a few different aliens/troopers in different places with more/less TUs and different weapons etc. could completely change the outcome of every single engagement to date.

Just crazy really when you think about it :laugh: But that's enough of that now, I'm off to over-analyse something else...

Looking through all the missions we've had though it's crazy how quickly luck can change the course of a mission isn't it? I mean 4 lobbies in a matter of turns is no mean feat, if they'd been facing the troops however it would have become an ever greater challenge and would almost certainly have offered reaction fire. Especially if the 2 together were looking at the sub.

This is so true. The main tactic I use actually involves denying the aliens the change to fire back, by taking the following measures:

1) Use dye grenades at the LZ and in critical situations. Usually I use 1-2 dye grenades per mission. Snipers usually stay on the protective cloud or near the LZ.

2) Scouts do NOT shoot the aliens they spot, they let the snipers take care of them. If snipers are not successful, grenadiers are used.

3) Scouts recoil backwards a bit when they spot an alien (when we can't kill it right away), just like they do when they spot aquanauts on their turn.

4) Always hide your soldiers behind something before the end of turn.

It also helped big time that by the time I got my turn, almost all of the soldiers already had sonic cannons and magnetic ion armor, if we had gauss tech only or sonic rifles the story would have been very different.

To be fair to reality they could probably swim up there without armour on but yeah I see your point lol

I wish this poxy client would stop telling me I'm spelling armour wrong. Why is the American version more valid when the British have had armour for about 3000 years longer than they've even existed as a country...