TFTD Multiplayer Story

Grossbeer

as far as i know 4 sq units are very easily killed by granades, yes. they take 4times the dmg from granades if they are thrown very near them. so the granade blows at all 4 sqaures ---> 4 times dmg. a lil stupid yeah but u can watch this phenomen at the aliens too. if u throw a magna blast onto a 4 square terrorist it can indeed be killed by it.

perhaps we will indeed grow on them names ;) but im sure the next terror mission will be a 2parter with tasoth and wipes the whole team out. ^^

nah im an optimist. there will be an atrifact site wich we will own! We DO have blaster rifles very soon after all ;)

greez

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never found heavy resistance in the artifact sites... Besides we really have to at least try them or what's the point of playing? Remember the in-game meaning of these sites is that they serve to widen and strengthen the alien communication/mc network or whatever it is. No organisation in their right mind would just let that slip by without trying. So I have to say armour or not we need to go for them. If we had a colony turn up now we'd get a proper pasting so does that mean we ignore it? Don't think that's going to win the war really, so we need to decide stuff like this now. What do we absolutely not do and what do we attempt despite bad odds?

hmm i think we sould try atrifact sites... with all means!

colonies can wait i think, as tehy are there forever and draining our points... much too less tho ^^

the real problem with colonies and artifact sites isnt the armor. its MC. witout knowing what ure soldiers are going to do, u have to drop ure gun at the end of the turn, which makes it kind ahard to hold a strong attack force up.

in my ironman campaign where i made ion armor cost ion beam accelerators i only have VERY few (1 or 2) Soldiers equipped with that armor, the others 50% aqua plasics(because of the mortality rate) and 50% diving suits, BUT

i know the MC str of the guys. I do win 75% of them colony assaults.

greez

I'd like to see everyone clad in Plastic Aqua Armor at the barest minimum in time. Even new recruits. It's only half as potent as Ion Armor, but it's way better than what we've got now for the purposes I'm intending (short range GC-HE attacks). Oh, and smoke filters.

As for the colonies, I vote we ignore them until we have assembled a team with good MC resistance. A good stack of DPL torpedos would be a definite bonus too!

We should keep at least one colony to harvest supply cruisers. Preferably one that was built by Gillmen as only their Commanders can use MC, and they don't appear on supply cruisers. TFTD's supply cruisers are more of a challenge than UFO's supply ships because the crew are armed with disrupter pulse launchers. So earning the loot isn't always going to be easy!

By the way, since we've been going on about 2-part missions: Just a friendly reminder to everyone that there's a bug that causes everything on the first map to disappear unless it is being carried by your team. This also includes everything on the Triton floor. So be sure to leave absolutely nothing on the Triton floor and to pick up whatever loot you want to salvage over to the next map. Found this out when I was losing a lot of my spare manufactured goods that I'd left behind on the Triton.

- NKF

I'd like to see everyone clad in Plastic Aqua Armor at the barest minimum in time. Even new recruits. It's only half as potent as Ion Armor, but it's way better than what we've got now.

Agreed, armour is something we don't have the luxury to postpone research or construction on. As soon as we can get one we should start building it, even if we're already researching the next one!

And I think the mission priority sounds good too. We'll go for the artifact sites but hold off for better tech for the colonies. What do we need to have in order to go after large USOs? We have 2 barracudas now so is it worth a risk? I still don't like the idea of letting them get away, though hoping they land is far better than having to engage them!

Never heard of Gillman using MC. I think that gilman ends on Squad Leaders and only tasoth and aquatoids high ranking can MC.

Gillmen can indeed reach commander rank. They get a whopping 50 MC Skill, which is equal to the MC Skill of an Aquatoid Commander. Though not quite the equal of the Aquatoid Commander (the gillman has lower MC Strength), it's still quite a nasty alien to meet. Just glad you don't meet many Gillman commanders!

I guess it's because they become scarce that you don't get to see many missions with a commander present. Boat missions are the most common places I recall having run ins with them.

- NKF

in my experience large USOs are really ahrd to catch. especially Supply cruisers. i cant seem to hold the speed of an supply cruiser with an barracuda EVER. as for other missions i guess we should try with 2 barras and dup launchers

it IS worth a try.

When colonies appear i fear that the main supply crews will be lobsterman, as we are in iron man and we only need little points to trigger them. in my ironman campaign i cant seem to find a gillman crew supply ship :/.

Tho i have to say IF we encounter a gillman colony we should even build a base near it, including a srike team and a triton, and harvest them supplys. preferable obn the other side of earth as supply cruisers always spawn at 0:30 1:00 so we got a day mission :-)

greez

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that there's a bug that causes everything on the first map to disappear unless it is being carried by your team.

I noticed some humorous notes in the readmes about that the other day:

TWO PART MISSIONS

To enhance the challenge, artifacts from the first part of a

two part mission are not recovered.

Equipment left in the X-COM craft on linked missions is now returned to base if you succeed in the second half of the linked mission.

Presumably you still don't get stuff from outside the craft (though by all rights you should). I assume the patch works, though I don't intend to take the time to test it.

What do we need to have in order to go after large USOs? We have 2 barracudas now so is it worth a risk? I still don't like the idea of letting them get away, though hoping they land is far better than having to engage them!

Even one Sonic Oscillator will allow us to engage nearly anything we can catch. Dreadnoughts (TFTD's equiv for UFO's Battleship) are just about always out of the question. Battleships (the Terror ship equiv... don't look at me like that, I didn't write this game) "can" be safely fought with Oscillators, though sometimes they charge the Interceptor and refuse to back off (meaning you can't fight them from the safe distance); we'd really want a Leviathan to tackle them in a way that'd ensure victory.

So we need a leviathan with sonic oscillators lol But that's a long way off, so do we risk large USOs now that we have 2 barras? We can always call off the attack if we take heavy damage or worst case scenario one is destroyed. Of course it's true we may not be able to escape at all but I reckon it's worth a try engaging anything up to large and maybe pursuing V.Large but do they ever land?

Strange I have never ever find gilman commander even on ship route terrors.

From ufpoedia you can spot that D.U.P. aren't sufficient to tackle large ufos. The range of D.U.P is 50 same as the large USOs while SO has range 55. Also never seen a sub charge on you in interception always flying away.

I have checked the ufopedia - only battleship is out of the question with DUP only. If the stats are right the supply ship has range 38 and needs 4(?) torpedos to hit. D.U.P deals 110 dmg and you need 400dmg to down the supply ship or am I reading something wrong ?

Even one Sonic Oscillator will allow us to engage nearly anything we can catch. Dreadnoughts (TFTD's equiv for UFO's Battleship) are just about always out of the question. Battleships (the Terror ship equiv... don't look at me like that, I didn't write this game) "can" be safely fought with Oscillators, though sometimes they charge the Interceptor and refuse to back off (meaning you can't fight them from the safe distance); we'd really want a Leviathan to tackle them in a way that'd ensure victory.

That's all true.

+

You could attack USO with multiple craft to bring it down faster. I had moderate success even with Dreadnoughts. I think Dreadnoughts when attacked with 4 barracudas would miss more often than when attacked with only 1. For example, with only 1, barracuda would often be destroyed in first 3 Dreadnought shots. With 4 barracudas, it would take 4-6 shots to destroy 1 barracuda.

P.S. Maybe someone could test this? ;)

P.P.S. Nice game you're having. ;)

when we have 4 barracudas with dups we can bring down a battleship. they will most likely one-hit our barracudas but with 4 constantly fiering we can bring it down. ive done it, but we would need lotso luck. we need 12 dups which HIT on AVERAGE to down a battleship. with only 24 loaded this can be very close. ill say with 4 barras with dups we have a 30% chance of downing it.

while were at it: i vote for not capturing a commander in a very larg USO. That way we have to at least do ONE Colony mission... which is much fun ^^

Wouldn't it be cheaper to build sonic oscilators ? 4xbarracudas = 4x600k per month not to mention total of 5 sub pens to maintain + intial rental cost and probably another base another +600-800k if I am not mistaken.

For commanders it is also easier to capture them in colony since they all like to bunch it he synonium device with navigator too.

yep it IS cheaper. but if u happen to have ure second base ( i tend to build it very early if things go well) and stock em up with 2 barras(which i often do) and dont have any sonic osscis then its worth a shot.

despite, construction mantas (or hammerheads for that matter) will take considerable time in which those battleships will occur.

grez

while were at it: i vote for not capturing a commander in a very larg USO. That way we have to at least do ONE Colony mission... which is much fun ^^

You say it like we're going to try to avoid doing any colony missions at all ;) Once we have better equipment and armour then there will be no reason to put off any kind of mission. It'll be a long time coming yet but we'll never win the war by choosing which missions to do and which ones to ignore.

I think we should treat this just as a real organisation would. If it's a suicide mission to shoot down a V.large with 1 barracuda which would leave us defenceless against future USO incursions then we can pass with good reason and logic on our side. If its an alien activity site or landed USO that is time sensitive then we MUST give it a try asap. If it's a colony the it's all down to how much of a chance we stand of being successful. If we have noone with armour and our best weapon is still gauss rifles it can wait but once we have aqua plastics armour and sonic weaponry why not try?!

yeah i agree!

Btw how are we gonna treat 2parters anyways, i mean commander cycle wise.

should be let it count as 2 missions and the one doing the 2parter skips the next cycle?

or should we, as soon as the first 2parter comes along, extend each commanders cycle to 2 geoscape and 2 tactical

phases (1geo - 1 tac - 1 geo - 1 tac)? if one nets a 2parter he looses one geoscape session (1geo 1Twoparter)

Yes it's just a longer mission. We'll all need to take them on sometime.

By the way, just a note on the interception side of things: Don't forget that later subs dive deep and Barracudas can't reach them that easily. We'll definitely need some Mantas and Hammerheads in the fleet.

Bomb Bloke: Already tried the 2-parter with the v2 patch and the equipment still goes missing after winning the second mission. I guess it's no too big a deal if its' easily replaceable stuff or once the Sonic Cannon economy kicks in.

- NKF