Aliens

FullAuto

Now Lobstermen are the hardest aliens, hands-down, no argument.

But when you go up against them, you're prepared for a tough fight, you know you're going to take some losses, so you're prepared. But which alien is the most annoying?

For me, it's the Tentaculat. Your armour doesn't matter, your health doesn't matter. It swans over half the battlescape, cruelly impregnates half your squad and your invincible fighting force that only seconds ago was scything through the enemy, is now hip-deep in doo-doo.

So, your esteemed opinions please.

Me, personally, I find the great sleeper to be the most annoying. It has hordes of alien minion clones (and regineered sea creatures and humans, at that) that it throws at you just to stop you from getting to it.

Now there's an alien that can command respect - even though all it does is lie about in a sarcophagus and draw off the energy from the insectoid fetuses in the cryo/organic battery vats all day long - making it the easiest alien in the entire bestiary to kill. When you defeat the sleeper, it lasts long enough to push the Obvious Self Destruct Button™ that come standard issue with all super fortesses/spaceships sold to villainous beings throughout the galaxy.

To put it in the vernacular, this alien's a real bastard.

Er, I don't usually vote in voting threads, so treat this as a null vote (and because the sleeper's not in the list :) )

- NKF

edit: For a real answer, I suppose I'd say the tentaculat as well. They're not hard to deal with per se, but it's their sneak attacks that bug me the most. I'd prefer to go up against a horde of visibile lobstermen than get attacked from behind with an insta-kill attack. In fact, I'd prefer to fight a horde of calcinites over a tentaculat -- seeing as the calcinite is practically an imitation of the UFO Chryssalid but without the impregnation attack, whereas the tentaculat imitates the chryssalid and flies (well, floats).

The only real blessing is that the tentaculats only appear on those really tough missions - and they don't appear on land.

I personally hate the Aquatoids really.

The Lobstermen are very tough,sure,but

every physical problem has a physical solution............(like bombing it repeatedly)

But these sectoids are the most annoying,because as soon

as one of them takes over your point man,you're screwed (me anyway)!

But i'm just a rookie,AND the WWS,so PROVE me WRONG!

Tentaculats here as well. Mainly because of the tactical problems it brings up, especially on the second level of any Alien Activity thingy missions. Cause you know the little buggers are all siting up in their alcoves looking down at that staircase that leads to the device. They're just waiting for someone to pop out.

bio-drones for me...dammit,i get sooooo stressed fighting those guys...it's cause they're so small and they explode almost bigger than the sonic pulsar...i once responded to a terror site on a ship,and cornered a bio-drone (who happened to be the last alien alive,little bugger was trying to hide) in a small stairway area...now my guys can't shoot directly up...so i had to try to get them up high without being shot...i i would've taken it with my sonic pulsars,but too many civi's in the way...i ended up sacrificing a man in order to kill the lil bastard...explosion got him after three shots hit the drone...oh well...at least the civi casualties of that explosion were not "civilians killed by X-COM"....see what my sonic pulsars would have caused me???

Biodrones are annoying, due to their explosive capabilities.

But often they like to use their melee attack, which doesn't seem to do anything. https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/blink.gif

Loby men are not much of a hasle, 'cept in the early game when you're not tooled up...

Tentaculats are annoying, but they don't slip past my soldier net. I don't allow attacks from the rear. They are great for psying, as they move great distances. Good scouts.

I always figured the Calcinite was much slower then a Chryssalid, NKF. https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/blink.gif But I think you probably know better... https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/wink.gif

So, I voted Tasoth. 'Cause I hate psi. When it takes a month or so to test your soldiers, rookies can be a pain in the rear.

Ah biodrones - they're easy to dispatch with vibroblades in base defence missions (you can even use the thermal tazer - it works!). They're moderately difficult on terror missions, particularly on the ocean liners where there's little cover on the decks. The only thing I really fear about them would be their superhuman accuracy. In this case, superhuman is correct, as their snapshots cannot miss. Nasty.

I suppose Calcinites may be a bit slower than Chryssalids, but they'll still have far more TUs than you or your best SWS system will ever have. Vicious buggers. I'm just thankful their attacks aren't as terrifying as the chryssalid and tentaculat. It's still a heavy hitter like the lobsterman, but you at least have a chance of surviving it. Anyone have the average time units for a calcinite?

- NKF

Maybe they do,but that only the Gollops know......

BTW,is there an "Ethereal-like" Alien in TFTD?

The Tasoth seems to be the Ethereal Alien in TFTD, without flying ability.

The one I hate. Definitely Lobsterman. Imagine dealing a packs with Gauss Rifle. :hmmm:

Tentaculat is far more deadlier than Chrysalic, if they comes in packs. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've only seen an Etheral in the air once. I've also caught one on a roof with no ladder, but not actively in the air.

KoF, use grenades. Or, if you can't don't se the door, blow a wall down so at least you turn up behind your victim.

Always consider the aliens as victims. It makes it so much easier. https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/killcrazed.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I think that the most annoying representative of all the alien society in TFTD is still the Lobsterman. I personally hate this type, even think it is very unbalanced for the game. Combining the supernatural marksmanship skills (well, almost - now I have a guy or two with greater accuracy) and instant reactions with high level of endurance and practically indestructible armour and you got the damn good chance of loosing your entire beloved veteran squad to simple scout sub. They are particularly resistant to any sort of weapons (they can even withstand a direct hit from Disruptor Launcher :) ) xept for close combat weapons which is nearly impossible to use effectively in open terrain. First time I met them, I thought they were invincible, cause I even haven't Gauss Rifles at that time (it was a base assault mission). And by the time they've started to appear in subs still hadn't Sonic Weaponry so it was a very hard time fighting them in packs of 20 with the explosive ammunition, which is a little more effective against them, than other conventional types of weapons.

Well, it is going to be their main weakness if you have a team of capable psi operatives. But for that you'll have to do some research, primarily on live Tasoth to gain MC Disruptor and these species appear in numbers after the Lobbies. In general, the Lobsterman is less of a problem later in the game but again, later everything is less of a problem <:-)

Yes the lobstermen are really hard to kill with all that armour, but with a sonic cannon, 2-3 good shots will take it down. The tasoths really bug me because of their psicic powers! When I see them for the first time they really bother me because they can easily panic a few of my soldiers, and their armour isnt that bad. It isnt as powerful as a lobster man, but the combo or average armour and decent psicic powers makes them really dangerous.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while since anyone posted here, but since NKF wants to know.....

According to my copy of the TFTD OSG, Calcinites have a base TUs of 68. So anywhere between 27 (!?!?!?) and 81. Doubtless someone can confirm that with an MC reader, but that's the median value.

For comparison purposes, a Chryssalid under the same conditions would have 119 TUs, and a Tentaculat 99 TUs.