Suggestions for wedding tunes?

Pete

As none of you know, I'm getting married next year.

Now the ceremony is taking place in the church opposite the house I grew up in (not particularly religious, but seems more appropriate especially given the state of the registry offices around here) and the reception do is in my folks' back garden (attached to the house I grew up in - neat!).

Now we've only got one problem - me and the missus don't have te best collection of music ever and would like to put together a varied playlist of great tunes to keep the party going for at least 6-7 hours.

Can you guys make some good suggestions as to tracks to play?

Fir info, I predict the first two hours of the playlist will be the hours where people will be most likely to dance, the second two hours need to step it up a gear to ensure that tiredness is the last thing on their minds (so roll out some classic tunes) and the last few hours tone it down a notch (we've got neighbours to think about and it's an afternoon wedding, though the music will be moved indoors before that becomes too much of an issue).

All suggestions welcome and I'll listen to them all and post the final list here if you like.

Oh, and average age of guests is about 30 - the oldies are nicely balanced out by the wee nippers - obviously the first few hours will have to contain fairly inoffensive lyrics but the last few hours are fair game :)

And finally, that 6-7 hours is an estimate - I plan to be up partying all night so if the playlist is 500 tracks long then so be it, there's a hotel booked for romantic nonsense the following night :P

Congratulations/Commiserations, mate!

By the topic title, I thought you wanted something for walking down the aisle to, so I was going to suggest the Imperial March...

Moving swiftly on!

Are You Gonna Be My Girl has a great rendition by Jet, Fell In Love With A Girl by The White Stripes, Hey Ya by OutKast (probably not strictly safe for little ears but they rap quite quickly so anyone not au fait with rap lingo won't know it's naughty), I Believe In A Thing Called Love by the Darkness, I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor by Arctic Monkeys, Maximum Heartbreak by The Datsuns (maybe not), any song with the wife's name in will work, Shoot to Thrill by AC/DC, Woman by Wolfmother, You're A Woman, I'm A Machine by Death From Above 1979 (again, maybe not), Brothers by The Black Keys (it's an album, 100% fried gold, you may want to shake your head at me knowingly here), Undertow by Warpaint, Black Sheep by Metric, Love Burns by the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (maybe not, no), On Call, Taper Jean Girl, and Milk by the Kings of Leon, When We Are Together by Texas, Try A Little Tenderness by Aretha Franklin, Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me By Gladys Knight and the Pips, Heard It On The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye, How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) by JR Walker and the All Stars (puke), I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) by the Four Tops, and I could go on but my fingers hurt.

You need any of these, I know a man.

Me.

I mean, I don't know me, I know where you can get them.

Of course I know me, technically, but not really. Not from someone else's point of view.

Eff Ay, I need mooaaarrr of your suggestions. I'm onboard with at least 85% of those right now, including some of the less mainstream tracks.

Pour out your musical brains into this thread.

Oh, and thanks for finding at least a handful where I loved the tune and had heard it ages ago but for the life of me couldn't remember the song title or artist's name when I wanted to buy their album :P

I'm a soft-rock guy with a touch of hard/metal in there at times; but a WHOLE lot of video game musics; which for what you're describing won't work, probably. :P

Then again, you're talking to the guy who got asked to work the soundboard(procession music/microphones) for his roommate's wedding; and procdeeded to interrupt the end with 'Another One Bites The Dust'. :)

People Who Died by the Jim Carroll Band

Sink Venice by Ikara Colt

The Power of Love has a cool update by The Pigeon Detectives

Take The Long Road and Walk it by The Music

Creepin' Up the Backstairs by the Fratellis

Deadwood by Dirty Pretty Things

Block Rockin' Beats by the Chemical Brothers

Devil In Me by the 22-20s

Dull Life and/or Date With The Night by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Get your Guns by Nine Black Alps

Gimme Some Love by Graham Coxon

Park Life or some other choon by Blur, Song 2 if you really want, I s'pose.

There may be one or two tracks by Oasis you can use, none spring to mind though.

Gay Bar by Electric Six

Heat Dies Down by Kaiser Chiefs

Get Free by The Vines

Comin' Down by The View

Monster by The Automatic

3 Day Rule by Little Man Tate

Rock n roll Motherfucker by The D4

I Get Along by The Libertines

Thunder by The Prodigy

Crooked by Evil Nine

Monkey Wrench by The Foo Fighters

This Boy by Franz Ferdinand

In for The Kill by La Roux

Losin Yo Head by the Monsters of Folk

Quiet Dog Bite Hard by Mos Def

Little Lion Man by Mumford & Sons (might be overexposed)

Knights of Cydonia by Muse

7/10 by The Doyouinverts (if you dare)

Heavyweight Champion of the World by Reverend and the Makers

Believe by The Bravery

Hang You From The Heavens and/or Blue Blood Blues by the Dead Weather

We'll Live and Die in These Towns by The Enemy

T.H.E. H.I.V.E.S. by The Hives

The Trick to Life by the Hoosiers

U R A Fever by The Kills

Somebody to Love by Jefferson Airplane

Paper Planes and/or Born Free by MIA

English Rose by Paul Weller

Sympathy For The Devil by Sandie Shaw

Dandy Cowboys by Soko

Steady as She Goes and/or Salute Your Salution and/or Teenage Kicks by the Raconteurs

Rock n Roll Queen by The Subways

Lucky Man by The Verve (Bitter Sweet Symphony/The Drugs Don't Work are cliches nowadays)

Hotel Yorba by The White Stripes

Let's Dance to Joy Division by The Wombats

VCR by The xx

We Used to Wait by Arcade Fire

Ribcage by Elbow

Under My Thumb by The Rolling Stones (could backfire, if so try Let's Spend the Night Together)

Queen has too many anthems, but I humbly suggest Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Karma Police by Radiohead (I might be remembering the wrong song here)

I'm A Man by Black Strobe

Hang Me up To Dry by The Cold War Kids

Hiphopapotamus vs Rhymnocerous by the Flight of the Conchords (comedy track, still works as a song)

Who's Gonna Save My Soul by Gnarls Barkley

Concrete Schoolyard by Jurassic 5

Tthhee Pparty by Justice

Suzie Q by the Creedence Clearwater Revival

Phew.

and proceeded to interrupt the end with 'Another One Bites The Dust'.

Must be done.

If you're not scared to go wading in shit:

This Year's Love by David Gray

Beautiful by James Blunt

Don't Want To Miss A Thing by Aerosmith

I'll Always Want You by Ben & Jason

The Look of Love by Dusty Springfield

Fever by Peggy Lee

All You Need is Love by the Beatles

Heh. Congratulations Pete!

I'll add a few of (cough) various suitability :P

Scorpion Flower by Moonspell

Under a Violet Moon by Blackmore's Night

Green Sleeves by Blackmore's Night

Mr.Sandman as redone by Blind Guardian

Vodka by Korpiklaani

Beer Beer by Korpiklaani

You should mix things up, a little. And also be able to make changes to play list as per request. I would recommend throwing in some female singers, especially '80's power ballads, or soft rock, and then later some faster tunes, as well. I'd say try some different stuff and see if you and your fiancee likes them, Pete.

*edit* Sorry I didn't say this sooner, but Congrats Pete.

Also, add some G 'n R, some Journey, and some Aerosmith, especially the one song from Armageddon soundtrack.

I also play far too many video games, and have very little to offer outside of that category.

But for whatever reason, I think the album of the first Katamari Damacy game might be worth considering. Most of the lyrics are Japanese, but what the heck, it's all decent stuff which could work for dancing.

... Yeah, that's pretty much all I've got. Congratulations anyway. :P

Edit:

"Sandstorm" by Darude.

"The Logical Song" by Scooter (... perhaps either immediately before or after the original Supertramp version).

"Rock Solid" from Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Daft Punk's "Discovery" album.

Then there's the "love it or hate it" stuff, such as the Macarena, the Hamster Dance, and Caramelldansen.

Congrats, Pete! :P

I'm not very good in *ahem* gallows music selection, but FA seems to have things covered alright for the most part.

Allow me to add a couple of quality suggestions with a Latino flavour:

- for something very classy with a twist: Classic Meets Cuba (Klazz Brothers & Cuba Percussion)

- true cuban music and sure to make you dance: Cuban Nights

Be careful when searching for these as there are similarly named entries that aren't the same thing.

::

Feel free to PM me if you have any trouble pinpointing these...

Jump Around by the House of Pain (about as Irish as Turkish delight, still an anthem)

Love Shack by the B-52s.

Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd

White Wedding by Billy Idol

Walk This Way by Aerosmith/Run DMC

I've Found My Thrill by Fats Domino (IIRC)

When A Man Loves A Woman, by Percy Sledge

Something to Believe In/Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi

Pump Up The Jam by Technotronic (don't worry, I felt guilty just typing this)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...