Reaserch Problems

TabulaRasa

I cant figure out how to get the later reaserch items like magnetic ion armour or the new subs? Is there a special live alien i need to reaserch? I had gotten it before but i lost the game :) . I just need to find out what reaserch item(s) start the better reaserch. Thanks in advance!

I've been thinking about this whole research tree, on TFTD CE, and I had a game where I got the ultimate threat from something other than the Lobsterman Commander. I think it was one of the other races, but I don't fully remember, though. When I play again, soon, I'll see what it was, or even if I have that anymore.

I know there is a shield for the bases, how the heck do I research for that? I haven't research any alien tech that is not needed for advancing to T'Leth, yet. However, I had scientists sitting around doing nothing for a long time, in a precious game, because there was only like alien learning devices there to research.

Sgt Strike: I was reminded that interrogating a Lobstermen Navigator can open up The Ultimate Threat research branch, given that all the prerequisites are met.

Hmm, it's not in the guide. I thought I'd updated that bit... I must've only updated a local copy. Oh well, must remember to do this when the moon next turns blue and I update my website. :)

The shield (M. C. Generator) is obtained after you research the M. C. Disruptor.

- NKF

Oh, you meant the bombardment shield?

Hmm, how quaint. I don't really pay much attention to the base defence guns anymore, since all they do is delay the inevitable, so I'd completely forgotten about it.

As far as I can remember, I think that comes after or at the same time as you get to research the Leviathan. In any case, the Leviathan research ought to be the key, or at least a major portion of the bombardment shield's prerequisites.

- NKF

Sorry, i deleted that game :) . But I could very easily make a new one by reaserching everything in the wrong order :) . If you want it i can give it to you, but NKF showed me his web page that showed the TFTD reaserch bug and the order to get the reaserch in.

I just fired up the old Armour - Subs - T'leth research savegame, and ran through the general motions of getting the Mag. Ion Armour and the subs to find ye olde Bombardment shield.

The answer is simple. Get the Leviathan. The bombardment shield comes right after it.

Let's see the research manifesto (in no particular order):

Aquaplastics

Plastic Aqua Armour

I. B. Accelerators

Deep One (alive and dead)

Ion Armour

Magnetic Navigation

Mag. Ion Armour

Sub Construction (item and research)

Transmission Resolver

Zrbite

Manta

Hammerhead

Lobsterman Commander

Leviathan

Note: Toss in a lobsterman navigator if you can't get the magnetic navigation.

That's all I needed to research to get the bombardment shield.

- NKF

P. S: Sgt. Strike, if you still can't get the Bombardment shield after the Leviathan, then something must be up. Bladefirelight should be able to provide a better diagnosis of your problem.

I was just diging through my xcom notes and found this that is releated to the research issue.

** Live Aleins researched befor all other items listed before them in any tech tree do not count toward the tree. For example If You have _not_ researched Alien Origins, and you research a Lobseterman Navigator. Your will _not_ be able to research 'The Ultimate Threat", _Untill_ you research Alien Origins _and_ another Lobsterman Navigator. (if you are playing TFTD DOS v1 you will still get Magnetic Navigation)

Another example: If you have researched 'The Ultimat Threat' but _not_ 'New Fighter Transport' and you reseach a Lobsterman Commander. You will get 'T'leth the Alien's City' but _not_ 'The atest Flying sub'. And you will have to capture another Lobsterman Commander, Research 'New Fighter Transport' _Then_ research the Lobsterman Commander.

On first glance this probably is confusing... but looking at it in a real world perspective.. if you dont have the prerequisite knowledge. Then you dont know what questions to ask during interrogation.

-Blade FireLight

Guys, keep in mind that if any of you capture the Tasoth commander, DO NOT RESEARCH HIM in early stages of the game! IF you do so (before get the alien sub construction/manta/forgot/Leviathan) the Last ship will NEVER show up for research.

This is a bug that my 1.2 v has and I'm not shuer if this bug has been fixed byt he moderators on this site, but once i've expirienced myself, take care.

tftd fan: the TFTDv2 patch and the beta Geoscape update appear to make it so that the tasoth commander never shows up on the research list.

I've been trying to get one to see how bad it harms the research tree, but it never shows up for research anymore (I mean, since applying the patch).

This is a Good Thing™, and I recommend anyone with the dos version of TFTD to get the updates.

- NKF