Do you jump from alien reaction fire?

jrink

This has happened to me a few times... It's funny.

I'm playing TFTD and am really engrossed in a particular battle, trying my best not to get any of my solider killed. My whole house is quiet and as I move a soldier out from cover, WHAM, a Sonic Cannon shot from some hidden alien flies right past my soldiers head. When the audio is turned up kinda loud, along with the creepy music, it has, at times, caused me to jump in my chair, haha. Kinda funny, thought I'd share.

This happens to me a lot. I found it even worse in UFO than TFTD and Half-Life is probably the worst. I jump in my chair, I kick my rudder pedals under the table and hurt myself, I knock things over on the table. I must be a nervous wreck. Now I tend to set the volume pretty low to reduce damage to my home.

Cazbol

• 1 month later...
Lol, I know exactly what you mean. Especially when you're doing really well. It happens to me most often at the end of terror missions. As eveyone knows, I loathe casualties so when I finally get close to finishing any mission I try still to be careful. But ten turns after you saw the last alien you just get annoyed.. Anyhoo, it's happened on many occasions that I've been walking about completely nonchalantly poking in doors and climbing on rooves checking everywhere an alien could posibly be. Then suddenly a large green beam shoots past one of my men... I jump a mile :P

LOL... I jump even when I KNOW the alien will probably fire.

I was doing a port terror mission yesterday, and the last place I hadn't checked was in one of those little towers, that's on the third level and has one door. Well the sad part was I hadn't researched sonic pulser yet, or anything heavy duty (it was like january 15th), so I had to send some rookie up there to use up the gillman's reaction fire. As soon as poor Max Moreland walked through the door SHPOING! Oh he dead, and I jumped in my seat. The sad part was I knew it was going to happen!!! Why then did I jump? It is one of a great many unanswered questions in the universe.

But I got the gillman next turn. Walked up a guy with a gas cannon to the tile next to the door, but not quite in front of it, and shot and angled HE shot into the side of the room, gillie dies.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread reminds me of a time I was playing in a port terror mission while I was feeling somewhat nervous. It wasn't reaction fire or whatnot that made me jump, it was just the right combination of music, atmosphere and pure luck.

It was at night, and coincidentally, it was also night in the game. The terror site music just came to the bit where some brass instruments make a sudden 'doot, doot, pause, doot, deet, doot'. I walked a soldier past a corner and spotted an aquatoid where I wasn't expecting one at exactly the same moment the brass instruments cut in.

The timing was so right, not only did I jump, I had to wait a while for my heart to come down due to a sudden surge of adrenaline.

While frightening, it's not as good as the one in Apocalypse where a female civilian died with a scream just as an anthropod burst out of a bathroom and into my soldiers. Made it look like the anthropod was screaming. That was a good laugh. :P

- NKF