ACM (UFO Aftershock)

Okim

hi there, new poster here ... just registered for replying in this mod thread ; )

first okim ... awesome mod,

just started again playing AS (found it on gog.com) and found out that you even there made a mod (playing acm sots too)

but...

i have a issue or something with the actual v1.1

*snip*

ok ... should have known that this is related to a defunct (?) localisation data ... or how the guy straight before me mentioned it ... so the missing descriptions and texts are related to that data ?

jeah should have known that

ok that is all... and english is not my native language ...

Oh my, sorry. Last time i archived a mod a long time ago and actually forgot how to make it properly (((

Ok. I have replaced the archive. It now contains all proper data. Follow the link on the first post.

i know i need to play any mission ... but sometimes its not enough

just now i lost 4 of 5 guys of my squad because of bad luck ... erm nevermind

but what do you think about my idea ?

just a suggestion

Honestryl there is already tons of weapons. And what is DRM actually?

well

Designated Marksman Rifle ... short DMR ... something like the m14 or the g3 in their light sniper config (for close quarter combat/urban enviroment squad coverage)

they are NOT full sniper rifles ... because those need a special training for those long range engagements

all this in short:

DMR ->short to med range 500-800m

full sniper med to really long range ->850-2.200m

and a wiki link just for the kicks ... DMR

well its just a suggestion ... its your mod (i love it at it is ;-) ) and i dont want you to force something you dont like or want

they are NOT full sniper rifles ... because those need a special training for those long range engagements

I'm sorry but don't we already have SR25 and VSS serving this roll in ACM?

He talks about a rifle that uses long range skill, but does not require sniper training to use it. VSS is somewhat similar to that type of rifle, but it requires commando training.

I`ll see what i can do. Can you name me another one or to such rifles in addition to m14? I know only russian SKS rifle, but it is no longer in use IIRC.

Great mod Okim. it could just be me but I kinda think the time it takes to research and manufracture weapons is a little too long, as the wargot ship is arriving (The count down is going) and I haven't gotten a full weapon built yet... though that could be because I was making armour and helmets for my squad...

• 2 weeks later...

New rifle - SKS.

This one uses long range skill and does not require sniper training. It can use all scopes including sniper.

https://okim.nickersonm.com/ufo/sks.jpg

SKS rifle also has an integrated bayonet that soldier can use should an enemy get too close to him.

Other DMR rifles will be M-14 for 7.62xNATO and Chineese QBU-88 for 5.56 NATO. All rifles wont have any underbarrels, but will use all scopes and wont require sniper training. Ofcause all three rifles are not as powerful as sniper rifles, but they can be used as a training weapon for future snipers.

ABOUT 1.3 patch.

I haven`t yet tested it, but looking at a change log i can assume that there is nothing that should make ACM incompatible with 1.3.

The only thing that may cause problems is items handling. I`ve removed all handling techs from ACM, so their abscence may cause problems.

EDITED:

Just applied 1.3 and tried to launch. The game does not start even without a mod and even on a new clean install, so i can`t confirm that this one will work with ACM.

EDITED:

Managed to launch ACM on 1.3 version. So far no problems, however i`m still in pre-wargot era, so there is not much to test.

I've just finished my frist playthrough of ACM1.1. Here is something I've noticed:

1. It seems to me that the new P90 SMG is a bit overpowered. When comparing an Uzi or Mac10 with a MP5 or Colt 9mm, you will found that a one-handed SMG is not as good as a two-handed one, but it can be compensated by duel-wielding, which IMO is very well balanced. However, a P90 is already as good as an UMP and still can be duel-wielded, which breaks this balance.

2. It's said in the description that RPG has a longer range than LAW but does less damage. But actually it does even more damage (3100) than LAW (2400) in the game, which makes RPG better than LAW at everything.

PS: Since we'll have DMRs as long range weapons that don't require special trainings, why not some no-special-training machanical weapons (HBARs, maybe) too? Or else "machanical" weapons will be the only group that all require special trainings to use.

Well, I'm not serious :) . Never mind.

Well, I'm not serious :) . Never mind.

Well, actually i desperately need a good feedback.

Since P90 is a newly added weapon i hadn`t enough time to properly test it. I agree that making a one-handed weapon almost as effective as two-handed is quite unbalancing. I`ll do smth with it.

I don`t recal how and when i actually increased RPG`s damage. Will see to it.

An idea to make easy-to-use machineguns is good. Perhaps i should make an RPK such a weapon. In fact it is just an enlarged AKM with more capacity and slightly modified mechanics. That`s a good idea, BTW. Thanks.

New weapon - M14. This rifle has greater range and accuracy than SKS, but lower damage (400 against 550 of sks). However it is capable of auto fire (2 shots) and can be equiped with underbarrel tactical laser.

https://okim.nickersonm.com/ufo/m14.jpg

I decided not to include QBU as two long range rifles is more than enough. I made RPK as a light machinegun that does not require heavy weapons training. A good starting choice for future gunmen and if fact RPK is now a usable weapon )))

I'm very glad and honored that my ideas can be helpful to you. Here are some other suggestions:

1. Please don't make the DMRs too much weaker than full sniper rifles. Or else they would be easily forgotten after very early game. Plus, compared with assault rifles which also don't require special trainings to use, it would be best that DMRs be as effective as them. Considering that SR25 has 70 range and 750 damage per second in burst fire mode, while most assault rifles (except for SCARs) have 20 to 40 range and 400 to 1000 DPS, I think that 50 to 60 range and 500 to 600 DPS would be most appropriate for DMRs.

2. Since you're planning to remove the heavy weapon training from RPK, please nerf it a bit. Because compared with AKM which also don't require special trainings, RPK would have 15% greater range, 65% more damage, 33% less recoil, 150% more ammo and only 10% less accuracy, which IMO is too much more powerful.

Actually, I don't think RPK is weaker than M249 and M60 in the current version. Compared with M249, RPK has 15% greater range, 15% more damage and only 5% less accuracy. The only big drawback is that it carries 60% less ammo than M249, but 75 rounds is already enough for most battles in UFO:AS.

3. I think R700 is a bit underpowered. It takes 3 seconds to aim and 2.5 seconds to reload after every shot. So in total it's 5.5 seconds per shot and deals 1000 damage, which is easily overshined by SVD (3.5 seconds per shot, 900 damage).

PS: I remember that you mentioned an one-handed shotgun and a revolver pistol before. May I ask that, are they still on your plan list of the future versions?

Good luck for your next version, and please don't take offence if you don't like my ideas.

1. Please don't make the DMRs too much weaker than full sniper rifles.

Both rifles have more range than FN (45) and deal more damage per shot than any other assault rifle - 400 and 550 (while AKM has 400 damage it is too inaccurate at longer ranges). M14 has a burst of 2 shots, SKS has a powerful bayonet that is fast to use.

2. Since you're planning to remove the heavy weapon training from RPK, please nerf it a bit.

In comparison to AKM RPK is indeed more powerful, BUT! It has no underbarrel attach at all meaning that it can`t use gyro. AKM with gyro and flash suppressor has its range and accuracy greatly increased. Don`t forget that it takes longer to fire RPK, while AKM is one of the fastest-to-aim rifles in ACM.

Actually, I don't think RPK is weaker than M249 and M60 in the current version.

It is. And once again due to its lack of underbarrel slot. M60 has much longer range and accuracy, while m249 has the longest burst, ammo capacity and fires much faster. In my games my soldiers with m249 are harassed by cultist RPK gunmen at medium ranges, but cut them easily when they get close enough for m249 to unleash its full burst.

3. I think R700 is a bit underpowered.

This weapon is just a good low-level weapon for first cultists and stubborn locals to defend their territories with. R700 is much like hybrid laser rifle - not as good to use by your soldiers, but quite an efficient weapon for enemy snipers and makes fighting an enemy with a rich choice of items a bit less boring. There are plenty of weapons that actually play a role of decoration rather than a weapon. Browning H2 is an example of it - it might be a good weapon, but it actually is nothing compared to minigun or barrett. However cyborg welding it looks damn pretty cool.

PS: I remember that you mentioned an one-handed shotgun and a revolver pistol before. May I ask that, are they still on your plan list of the future versions?

Nope. I don`t think that one-handed shotgun will be easy to balance. And revolver... i don`t know how to make it useful. DE is already a powerful handgun.

Good luck for your next version, and please don't take offence if you don't like my ideas.

As i said i like people communicating in polite suggestion-like way :)

I`m currently working on improving some models (mostly machineguns and cannons), after that i`ll start revising cyborg weapons. They lack some attachments, IMHO. I already have a powerful looking concept for minigun accelerator )))

A result of drone weapon revision and drone frames re-texturing:

Laputian wheeled fighter drone with m60.

https://profinstrument.ru/drone-medium-lap.jpg

Cultist fighter walker drone with AGL (automatic grenade launcher).

https://profinstrument.ru/drone-medium-cult.jpg

Militia tracked defender drone with browning H2 machinegun.

https://profinstrument.ru/drone-heavy-mil.jpg

Militia defender walker drone with M202 launcher.

https://profinstrument.ru/drone-heavy-mil2.jpg

A design concept for ACM glossary images.

https://profinstrument.ru/adv-airgun.jpg

https://profinstrument.ru/colt-smg.jpg

https://profinstrument.ru/akm.jpg

https://profinstrument.ru/pkp.jpg

https://profinstrument.ru/gsnip.jpg

These images will be used only for ACM-introduced items and replaced models. Unchanged things will retain their original images.