ACM (UFO Aftershock)

Okim

Well recently I thought the difficulty was to low on the newbie level and I started a new game with the soldier difficulty. When I was on my first mission against the cultists I encountered a drone. Not that that is strange but suddenly the drone froze while the rest of the game kept running. After killing the other cultists I could just stand around it and kill it. This a ACM bug? I never came across that one in vannilla?

Well recently I thought the difficulty was to low on the newbie level and I started a new game with the soldier difficulty. When I was on my first mission against the cultists I encountered a drone. Not that that is strange but suddenly the drone froze while the rest of the game kept running. After killing the other cultists I could just stand around it and kill it. This a ACM bug? I never came across that one in vannilla?

This might be related to some issues with my wheeled drone named Twikky (my other drones, one tracked and one legged, do not have this problem). Twikky is fast, relatively tough, and more intelligent than any other member of my squad (think Hal 9000), but sometimes when he takes damage he becomes paralysed - there is no icon to indicate that, but he can't be planned. This condition lasts until the mission ends.

This might be related to some issues with my wheeled drone named Twikky (my other drones, one tracked and one legged, do not have this problem). Twikky is fast, relatively tough, and more intelligent than any other member of my squad (think Hal 9000), but sometimes when he takes damage he becomes paralysed - there is no icon to indicate that, but he can't be planned. This condition lasts until the mission ends.

Drones are prone to be knocked unconscious like any other soldier. Since i have removed drone death animation from the mod (there were reasons to do this) it is difficult to figure out when this happens.

I will need to add a special training (gunman or ranger - i don`t recall which) that allows it to function while having no green lifes left.

Drones are prone to be knocked unconscious like any other soldier. (...) I will need to add a special training (gunman or ranger - i don`t recall which) that allows it to function while having no green lifes left.

Oh sorry, I might have been misleading. My drone always has lots of green life left, it just stops there after taking some damage. (Not much really). There's no message and no icon, it just stops moving and I get the message "Twikky can't be planned" when I try to give it an order.

Perhaps it has received a critical hit that knocked it down. I suspect that recovery is based on recover animation and if there is no such animation - drone is knocked down forever...

on the earth there are just 2 or 3 Cultists' territories. If I capture them, cultist take automatically two or three territories of me

Yes, that's some not so good design of the (vanilia) game. Try to let them keep only

the one worst base

they have.

Perhaps it has received a critical hit that knocked it down. I suspect that recovery is based on recover animation and if there is no such animation - drone is knocked down forever...

Ah, that would explain it many thanks.

On a completely different note: could you please consider adding a bonus to Enemy skill to the medic on level 2 or 3, if possible? Opinions may vary, but to me levels 2 and 3 are negligible. I think it's a very weak class to be honest, perhaps bordering on meaningless... This change would give it a slight boost.

i wonder is it possible to make exploding bullets? u know like anti-tank rifle ammo - projectiles, that fly like ordinary ammo and bang like mini-grenades on hit (but without grenade knockback ability).

it would be fantastic to see Soviet PTRS-41 Anti-Tank Rifle and KPV-14.5 Heavy Machinegun. oh yeah! Wargot Apocalypse is now. :cool:

hey Okim! if it's not a secret r u planning to make new armours?

i wonder is it possible to make exploding bullets? u know like anti-tank rifle ammo - projectiles, that fly like ordinary ammo and bang like mini-grenades on hit (but without grenade knockback ability).

it would be fantastic to see Soviet PTRS-41 Anti-Tank Rifle and KPV-14.5 Heavy Machinegun. oh yeah! Wargot Apocalypse is now. :(

hey Okim! if it's not a secret r u planning to make new armours?

Explosive ammo with area effect is already present in ACM - 12.5mm for brownings and barretts.

No new armors. It is impossible to do since i can`t obtain a proper plugin.

On a completely different note: could you please consider adding a bonus to Enemy skill to the medic on level 2 or 3, if possible?

If any other trainings have this bonus, than it is possible to do. Honestly i always try toget my medic to level 3 ASAP. The ability to rewive fallen soldiers is extremelly helpful, especially in ACM where saving games in the mid of tactical combat is kinda lottery :cool:

If any other trainings have this bonus, than it is possible to do. Honestly i always try toget my medic to level 3 ASAP. The ability to rewive fallen soldiers is extremelly helpful, especially in ACM where saving games in the mid of tactical combat is kinda lottery :([/size]

Yeah, but this class is still pretty much a one trick pony; I believe some boost is justified. I don't think any class gets this kind of bonus though (there are bonuses to other skills, but I'm sure you know it better than me).

On the other hand, I experience no probs with saved games. :cool:

Explosive ammo with area effect is already present in ACM - 12.5mm for brownings and barretts.

wow. that's funny i didn't noticed it yet. probably that's b'cuz i play human faction only. nevermind.

If any other trainings have this bonus, than it is possible to do. Honestly i always try toget my medic to level 3 ASAP. The ability to rewive fallen soldiers is extremelly helpful, especially in ACM where saving games in the mid of tactical combat is kinda lottery :cool:

hey that's a smart move! i'd be grateful if i give some more tips and tactics for ur mod. i'm sure there's a lot more tricks we can learn from u. :(

btw what's wrong with flatsters? they r capable to shoot from any distance, but with zero chance to hit.

Who cares? That's much better so you can kill 'em 'all without any problem XD.

Flatsters are "boring enemies": not really strong in attack but very boring to kill

I was thinking of adding a poison attack to flatsters. Their weird psi attack is indeed useless.

Flatsters are dangerous, probably the most dangerous mutants except for Muckstars (especially on higher difficulty). Plus, they're annoying as they are. I don't think buffing them up is such a great idea. Maybe their range could be shortened though, that might help with the 0% to-hit bug.

Brainmen, on the other hand, could use some help. They will kill you in close combat in higher difficulty games, but are otherwise harmless. I wonder if they could constantly release toxic clouds...

Flatsters are dangerous, probably the most dangerous mutants except for Muckstars (especially on higher difficulty). Plus, they're annoying as they are. I don't think buffing them up is such a great idea. Maybe their range could be shortened though, that might help with the 0% to-hit bug.

Brainmen, on the other hand, could use some help. They will kill you in close combat in higher difficulty games, but are otherwise harmless. I wonder if they could constantly release toxic clouds...

Just so peeps know, after installing combatmod (*and* trying to get it onto more then medium graphics settings) the game killed my system, os and hd. I just had to reinstall my os, I lost everything. WTF. Swim was using the highest rated ufo: as torrent on utorrenz.com and combat mod. All this is a heads up to possible merkage. My system had 5 layers of protection and was fine until combat got involved...

Honestly, I just miss ufo now! The game was so satisfying on so many levels. ARG RAGE !!

Hopefully you guys are havin better luck...

UFO AS ACM version 1.4 is now available (~76mb).

What`s inside:

- scope mounts were divided by 4 groups: simple (mp5, mp5sd6, p90, ump, usas, striker), classic (colt 9mm, spas12, famas, most of the energy weapons), advanced (most assault rifles and machineguns, m14, sks), sniper (all sniper weapons including energy and barretts). Scopes were divided into 3 categories: combat scopes (simple, classic and advanced mounts), advanced scopes (classic, advanced and sniper), sniper scopes (advanced and sniper mounts). Advanced scopes include thermal sight and movement finder. This way it is possible to equip AKM or M4 with a sniper scope, SVD or SR25 with a thermal scope, mp5 and usas only with combat scopes while colt and spas12 with movement finders and thermal scopes.

- reduced both bh2 machineguns (brownings) accuracy from 55-60 to 35-45.

- modified ammo capacity per ammo box:

.45, 9mm, 4.7mm -> 50 bullets

7.62, 7.62 nato, 5.56, 6mm bolts, wargot bolts -> 30 bullets

9x39 -> 40 bullets

- changed warp principles research requirements. It now requires any warp weapon be it human, reticulan or hybrid.

- added explosive bolts for gauss weapons.

- increased SKS fire and bayonet damage.

- increased m14 recoil.

For other changes/fixes please refer to ACM readme file.

The list of changes isn`t large. It is mostly due to me switching back to SOTS ACM.

wow! it's a great news! thanks a lot for reducing accuracy of cal.50 MGs, it was a real pain in the arse!

anyway, i'm here because there's something that bothers me. it's cultists.

i've started a new game with IV difficulty about two weeks ago. well, i've managed to survive thru ammo insufficiency. i've already conquered whole Europe, most of Africa and about a quarter of Russia... and i've faced cultists on the battlefield only 2 times so far. it's kinda strange that they still have only 6-7 sectors scattered all over the world unreachable for me, and they don't even trying to expand their territory...

is there any way to make them more active? honestly it's so boring when nobody dares to try to kick ur arse. comparing to X-COM 1 and 2 this game has serious flaw in global map part of the game. i wish it was harder to make friends among factions, like in civilization or so. i wish factions, mutants and reticulans could attack your sectors like cultists do.

btw playing IV difficulty makes unreasonable, even stupid to fight with other factions due to constant lack of resources. so it's almost impossible to get firearms before the fight with cultists... is there a way to add some armed humanoid bandits as enemy faction, i mean like mutants and reticulans?

Great stuff Okim, thanks for all your modding efforts. After trying to get into UFO:AL several times, I never could finish it and have been itching to get back into the grittier feel of UFO:AS. Its strange that the two games that have been using up all my free time right now are SoTS (just got done with a 100+ hour game) and this game.

Of course, now I might have to release a newer version of my UFO:AS sound mod!