ACM (UFO Aftershock)

Okim

Okim your mod inspired me to be modder. To start, I decided (I have some modeling skills) to modify some original weapons in AS. But! I did not go to open any of the models from the unpacked gamedata - they are all in .txt format. Could you, or someone else, if you are busy, to advise how to open them as a mesh model? Thanks!

P.S. I tried to use tools from this site, for example Meaaov.

P.P.S. What a pity, still there are no backpacks on the heavy laputian armor((

I'm founded little bug -- cultist's laser rifle had too small icon. It's looks more like pistol with size of knife(image takes only 2 squares). But it's take 8 squares of inventory as it must been.<br /><br />Also M4 carabine and Colt 9mm SMG have same icons.

• 2 weeks later...

Weapon icons and other such things are just cosmetic issues. I`m trying to adress these when i have time and desire.

New minigun model:

https://okim.nickersonm.com/ufo/minigun2.jpg

Minigun, browning machinegun and both barrett rifles can now use accelerators and recoil compensators that require a new tech to be researched.

New cyborg weapon - AGL (automatic grenade launcher):

https://okim.nickersonm.com/ufo/agl.jpg

This weapon is the same that is used by drones, but drone variant is slightly better.

All cyborg weapons were remodeled. Gatlings were made to look like terminator and fallout variants, browning is a huge machinegun with bipods and abbility to use scopes. Hyperplasma is now a 'shoulder' weapon much like any launcher.

P.S.: ALL these changes will be availavble in ACM 1.3 version in early May.

Hi everyone.

A work on ACM 1.3 is almost finished. There is a huge list of changes, bugfixes and new items! It will take me only few days to finally test all new changes/additions.

I wanted to get your opinion on different bonuses that psykers and cyborgs can unlock by gaining levels in their special abilities. The idea is to make second level cyborgs to automatically be able to use launchers and machineguns and second level psykers to get additional observation skills. Level three for cyborgs will get them an ability to ignore knock downs when critically hit and psykers will get a bonus to stealth and further bonus to observation if possible. Both cyborg levels will be longer to train, while psykers will retain their original train time as their bonuses are a bit less powerful.

What say you?

Hi Okim.

The new minigun model looks fantastic. Excellent work !

I'm sorry to say that I don't think it's a good idea to give lv3 cyborgs the knockback resistance ability. Please think about the gunman class. Every class in USO:AM has at least one unique ability. Knockback resistance is the unique and ultimate ability for gunmen, just like perseverance is for rangers, or target body parts is for snipers, etc. Giving it to another class just as an additional bonus is a bit unfair IMHO.

I've another idea about this: There are some abilities that are mentioned both in the glossary and the game manual, but actually never given to any class in the game, like force of will and run encumbered. If it's possible to use them, how about give them to cyborgs and psionics as unique ablities?

I don't think rocket weapon or heavy weapon training is much helpful for lv2 cyborgs. Because cyborg weapons are more powerful than human ones at that time and they don't need these trainings to use. Plus, cyborg soldiers can easily get these training by other means, because cyborg+technician and cyborg+trooper are very common combinations.

One last thing, the M14 rifle has even better range and accuracy in burst fire mode than in single fire mode. I find it a bit strange.

Hellas Okim!

I just joined this board just to praise your work^^

I have a couple of questions :

1. When will the update 1.3? be uploaded and can I use a 1.2 savegame with it?

2. Do you need Help? Maybe I could join your team, what modeler do you use?

3. Can the enemy models be accesed, could someone create a whole new race?

Thanks in Advance, and as Im said before good work on ACM!

Hello, bouncer :cool:

1. When will the update 1.3? be uploaded and can I use a 1.2 savegame with it?

Today or may be tommorow.

2. Do you need Help? Maybe I could join your team, what modeler do you use?

Nope, thanks. I prefer to work alone.

3. Can the enemy models be accesed, could someone create a whole new race?

Yes. Every and each model in UFO AS can be accessed via the latest mealow utility version. However there is no way to export animations, so you`ll have to create the model anatomically similar to what you are replacing. I mean - both models should have the same number of parts (arms, legs etc.) and all parts should be named in the same way as in original model etc.

A new version of ACM is available (~73mb).

ACM AS 1.3 features:

- adjusted cyborg weapon characteristics. Minigun is now less accurate and takes more time to aim and fire. Browning H2 now deals less damage. All cyborg weapons models were modified.

- minigun, barretts (all) and bh2 machinegun can now use accelerator and recoil compensator addons that require additional tech to produce (bh2 can also use basic scopes). This means that there are 4 new addons for these weapons: minigun accelerator and compensator, .50 cal accelerator and compensator. Unfortunately drone weapons cannot use any addons...

- added new cyborg weapon - AGL (40mm Automatic grenade launcher). This is the same weapon used for drones, but with less accuracy, ammo capacity and increased aiming times.

- added two new attachments for rifles - bio scanner and dopler scanner. These two use underbarrel slot and are very fast to operate, however they have their operational range halfed due to reduced size etc. Both require a new tech to research.

- fixed wierd silencer texture.

- fixed cultist defender drones using laputian textures.

- increased r700 sniper rifle damage to 1350 (from 1000).

- removed 'advanced human weapon' type from commando firearms. These no longer unlock advanced weapons lab research.

- fighter and defender core will now unlock advanced weapons.

- modified gatling laser particle effects.

- adjusted energy consumption rate of all weapons (lasers and sonic weapons -> 1, plasma -> 2, warp -> 10. All cannons add +1 to energy consumption rates. Gatling laser -> 1, hyperplasma -> 8).

- increased drone energy weapon battery capacity by +1, so normal laser, plasma etc. cannons have 2 bats and gatlas/hplas -> 4. Just remember to manually add batteries for each weapons with more than 1 battery as by selecting weapon and its ammo in the list will always get you only one battery. The same goes for all other drone weapons -> you will have to manually load its weapons with ammo as they seem to be always picking the default ammo.

- changed requirements for powered armour tech. It now requires energon blueprints instead of e-cell and hyperenergy weapons.

- shotgun ammo was reworked. Basic ammo now has a 2 hex area of effect representing spreading of the pellets. Ap ammo is now a single powerful solid slug, flechette ammo was replaced by explosive ammo (single shell, no pellets) to make shotguns more usable against wargots, drones and cyborgs.

- all explosive ammo now have a 1 hex radius of area effect, so it is possible to hurt multiple targets with one shot.

- replaced smoke and flashbang models with modern variants.

- reduced height of wargot soldier so they can now pass through the basic doors and passages.

- increased drone infra signature from 0.2 (!) to 2.0.

- replaced wargot scout weapon with small version of wargot accelerator cannon (its weapon is considered to be too damaged after any battle to recover and unlock wargot accelerators).

- fixed m14 having wierdly high accuracy and range in auto-fire mode.

- changed tactical laser accuracy bonus from +10% to +20%, changed gyrostabilizer accuracy bonus from +15% to +10%, changed gyrostabilizer recoil reduction from -15% to -20%. This way makes tactical laser be able to compete with gyrostabilisers for a better accuracy increasing addon. Gyro is now more usable for machineguns and auto-fire assault rifles.

- increased damage of all pistols. Pistols are now very powerful close range weapons, but the range of these weapons is very limited.

- adjusted sonic weapons damage, range and accuracy. Sonic gun is the most powerful weapon of sonic family while sonic cannon has much greater range, but lowest damage (it is still 2100 per shot!).

- replaced all mine models (added plasma and warp models).

- reduced power of poison dart and 40mm poison grenade.

Some new screenshots:

Cyborgs with mortar and browning machinegun (with installed recoil compensator).

https://www.okim.nickersonm.com/ufo/new/mortar.jpghttps://www.okim.nickersonm.com/ufo/new/browning.jpg

Cultist psyker with two reticulan blasters.

https://www.okim.nickersonm.com/ufo/new/psicult.jpg

Very good work! Your update was not to be waited for so long as you said!

- all explosive ammo now have a 1 hex radius of area effect, so it is possible to hurt multiple targets with one shot.

In my french re-translation of the vanillia version of Aftershock, I translated, only for personal fire-arms (up to .50/12.7), Armor-Piercing ammo as just Piercing ammo ('Perforant'), and Explosive ammo as Expansive ammo,

for 5.56 AP does not pierce armors, and really explosive ammo does not exist below 20mm (untrue: see my EDIT in end of post).

So, I'm surprised about your decision to actually make small ammo explosive, as you seemed to want to keep some realism.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

EDIT: Ok Alienshooter (but I keep my retranslation as in vanillia there is not this ingame explosion Okim did):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raufoss_Mk_211

detonated, the round will have a significant fragmentation and incendiary effect in a 30 degree cone behind the struck target, and this might affect others standing in the vicinity. The distance the round will travel from ignition to detonation is 30–40 cm

Realism? Emm. Did i ever say smth about introducing realism in ACM AS?

The fact that in UFO AS we (modders) are limited to what we have forces me to use those damage values that are already present in the game. Original game had 7.62 explosive ammo and i decided to make .50 cal (that is larger in fact) use explosive ammo too.

I experimented with various other damage values (poison, incendary, sonic, laser and even plasma), but all of them are either too powerful or useless due to other more powerful items in the game using that kind of damage.

I can`t figure out what to do with 5.56 flechette as i think that this type of ammo is quite unpopular. I don`t even use this ammo type with m249 and minigun.

What can you tell me about Cultist faction? They are overpowered: I'm not saying "give them shitty weapons" but you should to slighty decrease their number: I had to fight with 12 cultist at the same time XD (obviously I've been annihilated XD)

My adventure with the mod, it started the same way. The first cultist attack on my land, I was completely owned: 20 cultists armed to the teeth against my puny part of five people with desert eagles and shotguns... Of course I've been annihilated. I scrapped that game altogether, and moved on to other things.

A few months later, I installed the mod again. You know what? I owned them all. The wargot/cultist bands are a pain (that's what I'm facing at the moment), but they're perfectly manageable.

What is your difficulty level? Maybe try a lower one? Or you just didn't get much luck in the beginning?

Well I was armed with desert eagles and mac-10 too (oh yeah, I was using ONE reticulan rifle with a few ammunitions too! xD).

Cultists were a lot and they had robots, so, I decided to hire some "expert human fighters" and they had some interesting weapons which helped me a lot (m4 with grenade launcher + ability to use rocket launchers exc.)...

"We" are just laputians who are going on the earth surface fighting enemies who (which) have been living there for decades...at the start it's "natural" to be disadvantaged

Cultists were a lot and they had robots, so, I decided to hire some "expert human fighters" and they had some interesting weapons which helped me a lot

So you can hire soldiers with level 2+, and with their own equipment? That's weird, I thought it was impossible in ACM. I only have access to level 1 recruits, and so can my flatmate. Maybe it's a problem with my copy of the game (it's a magazine edition)? But in vanilla game I was getting advanced recruits as normal. Weird...

Anyway, I'm glad you managed to get through the first phase, Snake. :cool:

What can you tell me about Cultist faction? They are overpowered: I'm not saying "give them shitty weapons" but you should to slighty decrease their number: I had to fight with 12 cultist at the same time XD (obviously I've been annihilated XD)

You can use the same old trick in vanilla game: arm your soldiers with shotguns, get to the nearest room and wait at the entrance. In this way you only need to face one or two enemies at one time.

i think that this type of ammo (5.56 flechette) is quite unpopular. I don`t even use this ammo type with m249 and minigun.

I think it's because the soft ammos are not very useful in UFO:AS as a whole. Compared with hard ammos, they are only like 20% more effective against light-armored enemies, but at least 50% less effective against heavy-armored ones. In ACM, the heavy-armored enemies are much tougher than vanilla game, so that it makes soft ammos even more useless.