Nearly all X-COM games are now available on Steam

Gimli

right.... but i assumed that if xcomutil could fix the difficulty bug, then steam could've just applied the xcomutil patch to the game beforehand.

speaking of which, i can't seem to get xcomutil to run with the steam version. i've done what i usually do -- copy the files into the directory, run the xcusetup.bat file, and then edited the dosbox.conf file to call runxcom.bat instead of ufocd.bat. am i missing something? (maybe it's because steam uses ufocd.bat instead of ufo.exe/geoscape.exe/tactical.exe?)

ah sorry, heh. i was getting an outer shell crash before the game loaded. i don't recall exactly what it said, which isn't much help... it was something to the effect of direct draw not working properly.

i had deleted ufo defense through steam yesterday, thinking that i could remove the xcomutil files and try again with a fresh install; however, when i reinstalled ufo defense through steam, all of the xcomutil files were still there. i loaded up the game and it worked this time, xcomutil running.

so it's fixed; i don't know how, and i can't recreate the error from yesterday.

While I'm dithering between buying these or Spore, can someone confirm that these will run in Vista? I've noticed on the steam site that it says you need a "windows 2000 / XP compatible PC" - does this mean that they will run in compatibility mode? Only the copies I've got of UFO and TFTD don't. Believe me, I've tried!

EDIT: Woops, sorry. Finally found the right sub forum over on Steam. It would appear that some do but TFTD DOES NOT

X-COM Compatibility

• 3 weeks later...

well I honestly don't play TFTD that much. if i buy the pack it's going to be 99% for UFO.

But, if the company comes through and releases the dos version of TFTD as an update, it should work then. If not, I actually do have the dos version of TFTD laying around here somewhere as well as the collectors edition with it on there, so it's not like I'm starving.

I almost feel stupid about buying this, since I do own all of the games already. 2 copies of tftd(one dos, one on the CE) 2 copies of Apocalypse(one dos, one on CE) I have interceptor, I have enforcer, I HAD a floppy copy of UFO, but I lost all my floppies at some point and I have no idea where they might be. But oh well, 15 dollars to support the possibility of a new x-com game... even though it'd probably suck even if they did make it. Not a huge loss.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...