UFO: Alien Invasion 2.2

Gimli

UFO: Alien Invasion has reached version 2.2. From the official site:

The long wait is over - we finally did it and released the next version of UFO: Alien Invasion. There are a lot of new and stunning features included in this version.

* Air interceptions

* UFO recovery

* UFO crash sites

* New technologies and new game content

* Solaris and MacOSX port (ppc and intel)

* Random map assemblies

* eMail system

* New network and renderer code (SDL only)

Make sure that you read the full Changelog.

ingame005a.jpg alien_commander2a.jpg interceptor2a.jpg

There's also a trailer which you can get here and you can take a look at more screenshots in the Gallery.

Thanks mattn

UFO: Alien Invasion has reached version 2.2. From the official site:

post-3529-1200153942_thumb.jpgpost-3529-1200153974_thumb.jpg

post-3529-1200153989_thumb.jpg

There's also a trailer which you can get here and you can take a look at more screenshots in the Gallery.

Thanks mattn

Would you please provide Installation instructions? I went to the Download site, and there are 6 files. Do I just download them all to the same directory?? What about the zip file? Do I just click on the EXE file?? Please provide instructions.

Would you please provide Installation instructions? I went to the Download site, and there are 6 files. Do I just download them all to the same directory?? What about the zip file? Do I just click on the EXE file?? Please provide instructions.

You just need the ufai-2.2-win32.exe if you are using windows - this is the installer and you don't need anything else.

the rest is the linux version, single data archives for packagers and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to playing it. A few things:

The text is working this time around, I have no idea what wrong the last time (v2.1), but it's good to finally know what I'm doing.

Everything looked good until I got to the missions. For some reason every 10-20 seconds when I use one of the buttons to pan the view the view first gets stuck, then slides off out of control and then stops. I don't hold the button, mind you, just a simple tap on the button. Any ideas on what might be causing it? I tried, but really couldn't put up with it. The thing is, it's the only thing stopping me from playing.

3D Geoscape - is that new to version 2.2? I don't remember seeing it in 2.1.

I didn't get to explore much further sadly.

The changelog mentions random map assemblies. That means something like the random map generator in X-COM? Could you elaborate more? Do all missions now get randomly generated, or just base defense missions? Do the base defense missions work now? I recall them not working in 2.1.

Have you considered adding some sort of background art? Kind of like the dropship landing before the missions, but add it for some other things as well. For example, some kind of background behind the 3D Geoscape would be really nice.

The only minor criticism would go to the interface. It could use a few improvements. I can take screenshots and show you exactly what I mean if you want me to get more specific. One thing I really like though, is the text that hovers over buttons, that's pretty useful.

Oh, one thing I wanted to ask that bugged me in v2.1. I had a strong suspicion that the AI was... well cheating. It always knows the position of everyone on the battlescape. Which wouldn't be a problem, but it seems that the whole AI is based on: go to the unit closest to you and kill it. So if the civilian is the closest, it will kill the civilian, and if a PHALANX guy is, the alien will kill him. Is my assumption right and if so, did it change in v2.2?

This wasn't the case in X-COM, because while the computer was aware of your position, the aliens didn't always actively search you out. If you remember, medium scouts in UFO Defense often had a few aliens inside which could take a long time to get out, even if you're right in front of the door.

Above all, keep up the good work! If that problem I have is something that is not due to my computer and can be fixed, it would be nice, I'd really like to play some more. :oh:

EDIT: Ok, so for some reason I hadn't thought of panning the view by just moving the mouse to the endof the screen. :P Works fine if I use the mouse. I'll go play some more and I'll write more when I'm done.

• 3 weeks later...

Great game! The new geoscape looks allso fantastic! Theres only one problem, I can`t start the game. Every time I try starting it, then it happens like this:

------ server initialization -------

----- console initialization -------

Console initialized.

------- video initialization -------

SDL version: 1.2.11

I: desktop depth: 32bpp

I: setting mode 6: 1024x768 (fullscreen: no)

I: got 8 bits of stencil

I: got 32 bits of depth buffer

I: got double buffer

I: got 8 bits for red

I: got 8 bits for green

I: got 8 bits for blue

GL_VENDOR: Microsoft Corporation

GL_RENDERER: GDI Generic

GL_VERSION: 1.1.0

GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture

No hardware acceleration detected

Shutdown

What should I do?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kevin simcox
It says "No hardware acceleration detected". Not exactly sure, but I believe it either means you do not have a graphics card capable of running the game, or the drivers or DirectX version you have are outdated.

i have a 512mb Radeon HD 3870 and have this same problem, any suggestions yet?

Guest kevin simcox

sorry forgot to add

im running windows xp sp2

dual core amd 4000+

3GB ram

pci express 512mb Radeon HD 3870

direct x ver: 9.0c

please mail me suggestions to shadow_cast16@hotmail.com

the source code say: src\renderer\r_main.c:

/**
* @brief Checks whether we have hardware acceleration
*/
static inline void R_VerifyDriver (void)
{
#ifdef _WIN32
if (!Q_stricmp((const char*)qglGetString(GL_RENDERER), "gdi generic"))
	Com_Error(ERR_FATAL, "No hardware acceleration detected");
#endif
if (r_intel_hack->integer && strstr(r_config.vendor_string, "Intel")) {
	/* HACK: */
	Com_Printf("Activate texture compression for Intel chips\n");
	Cvar_Set("r_ext_texture_compression", "1");
	r_ext_texture_compression->modified = qfalse;
}
}

...well, I have Vista and it is said (see WIKI) that OGL is redirected (as ver 1.4) to DirectX... and it returns "gdi generic" .....but why these lines of code? What if I have computer fast enough, that it can do the software rendering?

My CFG:

A64 2GHz (3200+)

Radeon (Saphire) X1650 (AGP8) 256MB (DDR3) (CPU 594 MHz, MEM 693 MHz.... no overclocking)

Catalist 8.1 (...OpenGL 6.14.10.7275 ...but under name "atioglxx.dll" ...if I try to rename it to opengl32.dll, more errors)

2GB RAM

...will try to investigate a bit more (....compile it without the #if def _WIN32...#endif ....but if it won't work... well, I hope there is x64 version... I am going to my x64 Mandriva 2008)

Guest firda
blame ati :D

try to reinstall older drivers - the newer ones are b0rked - afaik version 7.9 works. our forums have more information about this issue.

I did, but still, it does not work in Vista (8.2, 8.1, 7.11, 7.9, 7.8) but you are right, it is in drivers - atioglxx.dll.

I gave up and switched to my XP on other partition...

NICE GAME, VERY NICE!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Aaron

I have tried it also on my new Vista Laptop, dual core w/2 Gigs of RAM (ATI Radeon X1270 card), and I get the same message. Obviously there is an issue in the software. I look forward to a bugfix.

Great game! The new geoscape looks allso fantastic! Theres only one problem, I can`t start the game. Every time I try starting it, then it happens like this:

------ server initialization -------

----- console initialization -------

Console initialized.

------- video initialization -------

SDL version: 1.2.11

I: desktop depth: 32bpp

I: setting mode 6: 1024x768 (fullscreen: no)

I: got 8 bits of stencil

I: got 32 bits of depth buffer

I: got double buffer

I: got 8 bits for red

I: got 8 bits for green

I: got 8 bits for blue

GL_VENDOR: Microsoft Corporation

GL_RENDERER: GDI Generic

GL_VERSION: 1.1.0

GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture

No hardware acceleration detected

Shutdown

What should I do?

• 4 weeks later...
Today we released version 2.2.1 which is a bugfix release for 2.2 + some little new features. Have fun with it

PS. A newspost would be nice - to not get the same bugreports over and over again :)

You can make the news post yourself now :)

I'm not home all day today :)