Jagged Alliance 3 interview from E3 2007

Slaughter

Creating the sequel to a legendary game like Jagged Alliance 2 is no walk in the park. Reporter Mike sat down with Akella's Alexander Kozhevnikov during this year's E3 to find out what tricks developer F3 Games has up their sleeve. Turn-based combat, outstanding physics (Silent Storm engine) and multiple factions are some of the many features of Jagged Alliance 3.

s_ja3_1.jpg s_ja3_2.jpg s_ja3_3.jpg

SC: How non-linear is the game? Are there some missions that the player has to complete?

AK: Yes. There are four playable factions in the game, and once you choose one you will have to stick with that faction for some time. You can change factions at certain points in the game when you acquire critical information; however a lot of these points are randomized. The factions fight between themselves and this is represented on the real-time, dynamic strategic map. The factions themselves hold the territories, not the mercenaries. What the mercenaries do is attack at weak points, kill or assassinate key targets, like presidents, heads of corporations, or officers for example, things like that, so that they are acting like a reconnaissance group and also like an assassination squad. They do special missions and that changes the ownership of the map sectors.

You can download or watch the E3 2007 trailer from here, and read the full interview in our E3 section!

Do you like what you're reading? Is it shaping up to be a good sequel to Jagged Alliance?

I'm quite hopeful. Usage of the S2 engine is a plus point, and capturing sectors by killing key people could work better than having to ethnically cleanse it of the enemy (stealth an actual real option?). Four separate factions presumaably means you can play through the whole game with any of them, and being able to change sides is a nice touch.

Good interview! Thanks to Mike for that.

Now all I need is the system requirements so I can work out how many people I have to mug in order to upgrade my PC so I can play it when it comes out.

Do you like what you're reading? Is it shaping up to be a good sequel to Jagged Alliance?

Funny how stuff works out, but I just so happened to get my hands on Jagged Alliance the other day and immediately got hooked. Haven't figured everything out yet, but it is a great classic game rivaling X-COM. It's that good. So after reading the interview Mike did, I'm impressed with JA3 so far. No doubt, acquiring the Silent Storm engine is fortunate as it allows so many more options. Can't wait for this one to come out! :blush:

- Zombie

Is it really turn-based? From the video I'd say not.

Than I'll chase them with a stick! Seriously though, I'm pretty confident it's turn-based. The video is set up like a real time action flick, but you can see the lines from the men moving with the number counting down. It's as it was with Silent Storm, showing how many action points it takes to go there.

@CapnKill: We'll see. Promising and delivery isn't always in agreement... Nival never managed to at least. I hope they manage, but if I have to choose between a great SP game and a mediocre SP/MP game, I'll take the first any day.

@toxic-nova: Well, Jazz was Jagged Alliance 3D before they ended up calling it Hired Guns, so... :blush:

@Zombie: Glad to hear you're joining the Jagged Alliance ranks! There's a preview at Hooked Gamers that is also quite positive. Is it Jagged Alliance 2 you're playing?

@Zombie: Glad to hear you're joining the Jagged Alliance ranks! There's a preview at Hooked Gamers that is also quite positive. Is it Jagged Alliance 2 you're playing?

Thanks for the link Slaughter. That was an interesting read too. Right, so I'm only playing the original Jagged Alliance for now. But I do have JA2 coming in the mail in a week or two.

One of the "problems" I encountered was that I couldn't make a hole in a locked building to get inside. Little did I realize that JA doesn't have destructible terrain. :wub: This is what makes a great game IMHO, and hence why I was happy to hear Strategy First acquired the Silent Storm engine for the new sequel.

As for whether JA3 will be TB or RT, the Hooked Gamers preview lists it as TB and our interview by Mike strongly suggests it too (at least the screenshots do). I doubt Strategy First would make the same mistake twice and allow the JA series to go the route of RT. :blush: