Facebook

Kernel

Face... book? What is that? :)

Social network. You register a profile and connect with old friends. I have a lot of people from preschool, the army and so on connected to me. You can look at each others profile, send messages, write in each others "guestbook" and join or start groups to mention a few. It looks dull when not registered, but works better than most I've seen once registered. Not a good way to stay anonymous on the Internet, but a good way to stay in touch with old friends.

• 4 weeks later...
Social network. You register a profile and connect with old friends. I have a lot of people from preschool, the army and so on connected to me. You can look at each others profile, send messages, write in each others "guestbook" and join or start groups to mention a few. It looks dull when not registered, but works better than most I've seen once registered. Not a good way to stay anonymous on the Internet, but a good way to stay in touch with old friends.

yeah i'm there duno which email i use.hmm

i have myspace

• 1 year later...
No love for huge internet databases with personal info. The chances of abuse are FAR too big.

Well, there is always a risk for that. You can block your profile to anyone but people you've confirmed as friends however. The owner could sell the database, but with it being a billion business, I think it's unlikely.

There's also another dimension to social networks. I'm registered at LinkedIn, and that's really giving me some good job offers these days. It also allows me to have a way of contacting old co-workers and the likes (that you'd likely loose touch with if not for networks like that).

Anyway, your skepticism is well advised, but for me it's worth the risk to stay in touch with old army palls, former co-workers etc.

• 5 weeks later...

I happened to stumble upon this article BBC put up a few months back and your post came to mind, Slaughter. I don't know if you were aware of the mentioned exploit or not so, a little heads up...

::

Pretty pervasive given the fact you don't even need to have those apps installed in order to become a target. :laugh: