Sins of a Solar Empire Previewed

baby arm

There's a preview of space RTS/4X Sins of a Solar Empire over at TCancer. The preview covers the latest beta build, including this bit on tactical combat:

The meat and potatoes of this game, and the reason I liked it so much in spite of the (probably temporary) shallowness of the other aspects. There are several different types of capital ships, and they function like heroes do in Warcraft 3, for example. They can level up, get skills, and are generally much tougher than anything else in the game. All in all, I felt they should be more expensive. Losing one of these babies should *hurt*, and at the moment it's too easy to make quite a few of them. The fighters and bombers are very very cool, being the more mobile part of your fleet. As for the frigates, they're the mainstays of your offensive power, and there's several of them with distinct roles. More could be done of course, there's not as much variety as I'd hope, but what's there is promising. As for movement and maneuvering, I must say again I love the gravity well idea, as a major fan of a series of novels called "Honor Harrington" that uses that concept.

Read the rest here and check out a Sins interview at Shack News.

ScreenShot_0.jpg ScreenShot_1.jpg ScreenShot_9.jpg

I hope we'll be able to get a preview copy as well. Perhaps a US member could get it faster than me since SD still hasn't got a EU distributer. Their PR guy said I should contact them... when they are know. So if we wish to be among the first sites somebody else should do the preview - or at least obtain a copy.

Than again it may be wise to wait a bit more and get a more functioning beta.