Dumbest Aliens Award

the_dead

I have had some dumb stupid aliens against me in UFO. These are the ones I remember

1 - I had only one man left alive, I stepped into a farm area and 3 damn sectoids were stood there waiting for me, the furthest sectoid react fired, killed one of his own friends again, I shot, missed, he fired again, killed his other friend, after I finished laughing I shot the poor bastard to spare him further embarrasment.

2 - Triggerhappy Cyberdisc thingys. I loved them, they killed many sectoids for me, but not very many of my men.

3 - Base Buffons - I've seen so many aliens kill themselves (and half their friends) by shooting the red things.

The sectoid mentioned previously is definitly my fave though.

I've had a floater panic and drop a primed grenade on his(Or her) "friends". Of course, this is too simple, I mind controlled him again and made him pick up another grenade and prime it. Then I noticed I was out of TU's so I had to end the turn. I saw (s)he was low on morale before ending the turn though, so I didn't bother controlling him (her) again. And guess what happened? (S)he dropped another again. And hurt his (her) friends again. Personnaly, I found that pretty funny, so I never forgot it ;) .

I remember one USO recover with lobbies in TFTD. Killed nearly all of them, only three left. I wounded one of'em and then hit end turn. This one had gone berserk and turned around and killed the other two, effectively relieving me of the duty to do this dirty work myself. ;)

Here's an amusing recount of a battle I had.

It was on a farm mission, I had one lightning, one power armour soldier and I was up against a floater battleship.

The lightning lands next to the tall grass hedge (it was the apple orchard). My soldier enters the orchard to scan for hiding floaters and to get away from a roving reaper. Nothing. Next turn I decide to head back to the lightning to grab some more supplies. Sure enough, I goof up and run out of time units only to end up standing at the rear end of a Reaper, one tile away.

Instead of attacking me, the reaper takes a roundabout stroll around the Lightning, only making a B-line towards me the moment it actually sees me. .

I always thought the aliens did a 360 scan of the area before moving off onto whatever task they were performing. Perhaps this isn't always the case.

One other occasion, I had two soldiers inside a farm house. One soldier was doing a general sweep of the premesis, and the other was going to check the other side. The soldier steps outside and moves off to the right of the door (there's a railing in the way) but stops immediately after shutting the door because there's a sectoid facing her. What do I do? I have her go back inside to open the door and let the other soldier, who had a lot more time units, stand behind the door and facing the general direction of the alien.

Crazy, I know. The next turn, the alien's walked away from the door, with its back facing away from my soldier. I dare say an autoshot with a laser pistol in the back at point blank range would be nasty to almost anything... I mean, it had its chance to gun me down with an autoshot with its heavy plasma. No, instead it forgets I was even there and runs off.

- NKF

I remember the demons in the original Doom and Doom 2 used to hit each other when in big groups and then they'd start fighting each other until one died... It was so funny to watch :)

Imagine if they did that in UFO, one hits another accidentally and they turn around saying, "That hurt, you pick! How'd you like a blaster bomb up your ass" *BLAM!* Vaporised a 20m radius! ;)

Panicking blaster bomb alien squads is a great way to relieve tension.

Reminds me of a funny chain reaction a sectoid once set off. It ran into a group of my guys in a base mission. It fired at the closest guy with its plasma rifle(obviously), hit my dude but failed to kill him and kicked off his reaction fire. He shot, missed, hit another squadmember, which intern reacted...this basically carried on for about 3 guys before the last guy accidentally shot and killed the sectoid.

I just had a great queue for death on Apocalypse, I had 8 men stood at the start of a school mission, and killed about 6 aliens before I even had chance to give out any orders, they ran around a corner 1 at a time. in the middle of my 2 squads of 4, just to get blasted to pieces in crossfire. Poor dumb bastards.

DG1... You can't pick things up with MCd aliens... You can't use the inventory screen at all! :)

Of course you can use the inventory screen! You just have to select one of your soldier's inventories and then cycle through until you get to the MC'd Alien ;)

Unless of course you were being sarcastic and I just made a fool out of myself :dontgetit:

DG1... You can't pick things up with MCd aliens... You can't use the inventory screen at all! :)

Of course you can use the inventory screen! You just have to select one of your soldier's inventories and then cycle through until you get to the MC'd Alien ;)

Unless of course you were being sarcastic and I just made a fool out of myself :dontgetit:

I belive this trick only works in UFO DOS 1.0 the rest of them fixed the 'bug' I personaly think if you mind control somehting you should have complete control, including inventory.

-Blade FireLight

Actually, this trick works in all version of UFO for the PC. They've removed it in TFTD. I think they've also fixed the item stacking 'feature' when you click on the arrow button with an item on the cursor.

- NKF

This happens quite often, but I find it funny every time.

On a terror mission, some HTH only alien like a Crys. or a Reaper spots a civvie. "Oh, look! What a tasty defenseless little civvie. I think I'm gonna rip it apart, mwahahaha" :alien2: Runs straight towards the civvie without looking anywhere else. POW! Is ripped apart by a large missile from an XCOM trooper hiding in a nearby alley. ;) "Aw, darn, shouldn't have been so bloodthirstry." *dies*

"Live bait fishing", anyone? :)

I've actually seen the melee units in the game charge towards a target, get interrupted by a reaction shot, turn around and run away, get interrupted again with another reaction shot, charge back at their original target, get interrupted again and turn away, etc.

In one similar occasion, instead of turning away, a chryssalid ran off and impregnated the next nearest target instead.

I don't know if this is set as proper behaviour for a melee unit, but it is rather amusing to watch (and frightening) at times.

- NKF