Supreme Commander Demo

Slaughter

The demo of Gas Powered Games upcoming Supreme Commander was released today. February 16th is the advertised release date for the full game, and this is a good opportunity to find out if Gas Powered Games has a hit worthy of the hype on their hands. The 1 GB download contains parts of a single player campaign plus a skirmish map, and you can find a mirror in our files section.

storyline.jpg SCFrame_Thu_Jun_01_155142_2006_00010.jpg SCFrame_Thu_Jun_01_152745_2006_00000.jpg Supreme_Commander_E3_13.jpg

Spotted at Blue's News

Oh yeah! Massive numbers of exploding vehicles! Woohoo!

If it's anything like Total Annihilation, only 1 rule applies: Build lots & lots & lots & lots of units. Then watch them all explode in a fiery conflagaration as a nuke goes off. Then start all over again! :(

Woah, what a game! To anybody outthere loving TotalAnnihilation and Dawn_of_War: Go get this game! You will never look back. I made a skirmish and after an epic 2 hour fight i managed to build a nuke and a battleship, supported by heavy artillery. Aaaaaaaawesome!

The nuke took eternally to build and i thought "This better is good" and gosh it was!!!

Forget everything you have seen in explosions in games, this is breathtaking, this is nuts, this is insane :(

I love TA and DoW, but this pushed them from my personal RTS throne. 100 of 100 points from me.

Sell your car, your dog, your house: You have to buy this game! :(:D

Positive feedback from my point of view!

Regarding the performance:

The demo certainly runs better than the BETA (as expected), but I'm still having some 'lagg' while I'm playing. Overall it's fine and it runs fairly smooth for most of the time, but sooner or later you'll probably hit the climax where you'll end up sending 200+ units across the map in a last attempt to whipe out the enemy. That's when the game turns into a slideshow.

This happends despite the fact that I'm running the game with low settings and on a pretty decent rig.

The other only thing that kind of ircs me a bit is that the controls feel a little..."primitive".

The scale of the battles have indeed become very large, but it feels like the controls were left behind and haven't improved or been adapted for the setting. Sure, there are some neat solutions for queing(spelling?) up orders etc, but in a nutshell the game controls like an oversized version of command & conquer. :(

Other than that, I really don't have anything to complain about - the game is excellent. Go buy it.

• 2 weeks later...