Oooops

Sorbicol

OK.

So 13 years ago I went to university and one evening at a mate's house we got drunk and a bit high, and he started playing some game on his PC. You've guessed it, it was X-COM. One year later I got my own PC (handy things, Student loans) and it was the first game I'd bought since we had Elite on our familie's old Acorn electron about 10 before that.....

I loved it. Played it for years, couldn't get enough of it. Then the usual happens, I left uni, had to get a job and gave my PC to my brother so he could finish his Masters degree. XCOM vanaished into long cherished memories.

Spin forward to 4 years ago and I bought myself a new PC. Got some excellent games for it - Half-Life, Quake Arena, Civilisation and so on, but I was always hankering for some deeply satisfying turn based strategy that only X-COM could provide. Various attempts at downloads from the internet failed, I could never get it to work. Silent Storm came and made up for this loss, and I was beside myself in anticipation for UFO: Aftermath only to be bitterly disappointed with it. I just didn't like it and gave up after the difficultly jumped to downright impossible after the russian mission.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I've been using these forums for the best part of 2 yand a half years now. In all that time I've always concentrated in the Silent Storm forum and only given cursory glances to the others :)

And then on Sunday, I clicked on the thread marked "Downloading X-COM". I followed the link, clicked the buttons and got the game.

It works. no crashes, it boots up fine and after 8 years I can finally play it again.

I just wanted to say...... Thanks ;)

Glad to be of service aren't we boys ;)

X-Com is a part of everyone's childhood, lost occasionally then eventually found again. I'm hardcore, my UFO box is always on top of the pile, I hate the UFO series and I've never even played Silent Storm :)

Only X-Com is enough...

Glad to be of service aren't we boys ;)

X-Com is a part of everyone's childhood, lost occasionally then eventually found again. I'm hardcore, my UFO box is always on top of the pile, I hate the UFO series and I've never even played Silent Storm :)

Only X-Com is enough...

I can't recommend strongly enough that you try out Silent Storm. It's the best game you'll never play, if you know what I mean.....

X-Com is a part of everyone's childhood...

Childhood? Maybe for you young whipper-snappers, but this fart named Zombie first started playing X-COM when he was at the ripe old age of 23. Adulthood would best describe my situation. ;)

Gee, it's like 12 years since the release of this game and I'm still playing it. That's gotta say something. :)

- Zombie

X-Com is a part of everyone's childhood...

Childhood? Maybe for you young whipper-snappers, but this fart named Zombie first started playing X-COM when he was at the ripe old age of 23. Adulthood would best describe my situation. :)

Gee, it's like 12 years since the release of this game and I'm still playing it. That's gotta say something. ;)

- Zombie

Childhood? I was 18 when I first came across it! Alledgedly adult at least ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ye Gods, I don't remeber it being this hard!!!

Have had to downgrade to Veteran much to my shame after my first terror site mission ended up with all my soliders and tanks dead or destroyed in the first two turns!

So much fun though, I'll be playing this for weeks :drink:

X-Com is a part of everyone's childhood

That is so true Vet. I first played it when I was about 8 or 9. After playing the game for the first time, the music and snakemen were what were scaring the living s**t out of me. (I honestly though one was going to pop up outside a window.) I had to take a couple of days rest before summoning enough courage to play it again.

I will never forget that. Nor will I forget X-com.

X-Com is a part of everyone's childhood

That is so true Vet. I first played it when I was about 8 or 9. After playing the game for the first time, the music and snakemen were what were scaring the living s**t out of me. (I honestly though one was going to pop up outside a window.) I had to take a couple of days rest before summoning enough courage to play it again.

I will never forget that. Nor will I forget X-com.

XCOM Enemy unkwown was my first game when I was 14 (4 floppy disks given by a friend)... I simply enjoyed playing it... now I have about the double, and I still play it !

Anyone remember the free demo of the game that came out with some magazine or other?

I'm just not saying how old I was when I first played that!! :drink:

Some unknown benefactor installed that free demo on one of the shiny 486's in our engineering computer lab. I ran it, no manual, not knowing what I was getting myself into. I remember it well...

Turn 1. "Hmm. Definitely looks like jungle of some sort. Those look like soldiers... Hey! That one moved when I clicked the ground"

Turn 2. "I just lost a guy! The shot seemed to come from those bushes, better check it out."

Turn 3. "THERE'S AN ALIEN IN THE BUSHES! And it's looking this way"

Turn 4. "Inventory. 'Prime Grenade'. Oh, this could be useful." <toss> <BOOM>.

And I was hooked...

Ha ha - you brought it all back to me. I think the ship was a large scout, at night and the damn game seemed impossible to finish.

I don't think I had any manual or such 'cos I remember it took me ages to work out how to slow down the alien firing so I could tell where the shot was coming from.

And those stupid grenades .... I don't think I learned how to use them until I actually bought the game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember the first time I played, I was in high school, it was summer vacation and my parents gave me cash every week to keep entertained.

I rented some movies, some games and happened upon X-Com for PS1. Aliens, guns, sure why not. Got my ass handed to me, on beginner on the first level i played. As soon as I got out of the ship, I was getting shot from everywhere. I decided to use those trusty smoke bombs to conceal myself. My entire squad was dying from the smoke and everytime I tried to leave the smoke a soldier would get shot. Hit Next turn, and an alien grenade goes right into the middle of the smoke..... game done.

Loved the game since then.

Hmm. Seems a bit of a coincidence to me, but the few times I was able to hook some otherwise skeptical friends into X-Com UFO or TFTD, it involved the process of arming and throwing grenades.

- NKF