Jagged Alliance 3D E3 2006 Hands-On Preview

Slaughter

In addition to the interview we did with MiST land - South at this year's E3, Mike had the oportunity to play the game a little. It was in pre-Beta stage, but it still gave Mike an idea of what we can expect. Check out his hands-on preview and the exclusive screens and music kindly provided by MiST land - South in our E3 2006 Section.

1_shot0524124621.jpg 2_shot0524124700.jpg 3_shot0524125649.jpg

Real-time and turn-based

Like in JA2, each mission will start in real-time mode and changes to turn-based when enemies are nearby. Strategy First originally intended for Jagged Alliance 3D to be solely real-time, but the fans were so upset that the combination real-time/turn-based gameplay was reinstated.

I suppose I have to confess that, for starters, I was never terribly excited about this one - despite its pedigree.

I don't much see it taking off, either, as it's way too much of the same thing. Even if all goes well and no major bugs mar the landscape, I can't shake the feeling this game belongs in the nineties.

::

No pain, no gain, MiST Land...

If this new Jagged Alliance game is as good as the 2 before and keeps the typical flavor that the characters added, that's perfect for me and, i hope, for a good number of people.

Of course, if the devs could add this or that to the game without changing / breaking the core mechanic, why not. But how many times have we seen games that does not support new concept addition unless you consider them as a new games, or more precisely, other kind of games.

After all, people play chess since more than 1500 years, and still enjoy it :-) (ok, this is a bit exagerated ... lol)

That being said, Jagged Alliance, as it was the case for X-com 1 & 2 for instance, has the advantage of offering a good mix between technical AND "artistic / scenaristic" realisation. This is what makes the magic and what most people want, i think, because this is that which let your imagination fly.

Strategy First originally intended for Jagged Alliance 3D to be solely real-time, but the fans were so upset that the combination real-time/turn-based gameplay was reinstated.

I'll be the first to admit that my memory is far from infallible, but I'm pretty sure it was MistLand, not SFI, that went off the rails into real-time combat ideas, wasn't it?

I also seem to remember Richard Therrien (SFI) being quite surprised when the fans told him, and duly rapping MistLand's knuckles over the matter. There's a long thread on MistLand's forums covering the whole debacle.

(It's an interesting read, BTW, MistLand's attitude is a bit of an eye-opener!)

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but as it stands that quoted statement incorrectly shows SFI in an undeserved bad light.

Oh, and Hi! :thinking:

@Abernathy: Yeah, I think I read something like that some time ago too. I'll try and find the forum threads, and then change the article if it is in fact so. Thanks for the heads up, and welcome! :thinking:

@All: There's some more info on JA3D vs JA3 here (Richard, a little down):

Just to re-state a few things that have been said in the past, I think:

One, JA3D is a tactical only based JA game setup in a 3D environment. It does not have a real strategic overlay (although there is a world map with a choice of locations). The goal here was to reproduce JA2's tactical elements with a few additions, being that some are required already because of the nature of a 3D environment and that others seemed like worthwhile improvements to the interface.

Second, JA3 is a bigger than JA2 game, with a full Strategic layer, several factions with independant but intertwined agendas, an optional Sci-Fi mode, that is also setup in a 3D environment. This one will have more improvements/additions in all tactical, strategic and interface components.

@Abernathy: Yeah, I think I read something like that some time ago too. I'll try and find the forum threads, and then change the article if it is in fact so. Thanks for the heads up, and welcome! :thinking:

Thanks for the welcome. As a bit of a caveat on what I posted before, I read somewhere that the situation was a bit more complex than how it appeared on the surface, but it was just one post somewhere I can't remember, so I'm personally sticking with what I've seen first-hand until and unless something with a bit more substance comes out of the closet.

Optional sci-fi mode? You mean aliens with frickin' laser beams?

Come Mr Bigglesworth, it's time for another 30 years' cryogenic sleep before we try and take over the world... again...

I never played the sci-fi mode in JA2 and I probably won't in JA3D or JA3 either. But some folks loved it.

And at least it's canon - I remember Ian Currie having a big rant somewhere ages ago about how he'd like JA3 to have more aliens and stuff; he wanted more than just humans as enemies. Scared me a bit at the time, I must admit. I'd also personally prefer development time and energy to go into the core game rather than aliens.

But hey, each to his own. For every sci-fi afficionado there's a gun lover wanting more realism in range and ammo types and a reality freak asking for supply lines and somewhere to pee.

If MistLand can pull off an even slightly convincing JA of any type, I'll be eternally grateful. From what I've been reading (and I've been following this saga for years), Richard really does care about the franchise and has veto power over the developers. If I'm right, I think we will indeed see something excellent coming out of this.

If I'm wrong, well, another wonderful series goes to Oblivion I guess...

Hopefully this (JA3D) and that (JA3) turns out to be a positive expression ...D'oh, I can't help myself wishing comforts for every mates of turn based tactics... *sorry* :thinking:

We sure need all available good/positive visions of the future what we can get for this great genre and maybe for all PC-games developing overall. Otherwise I'm bit worried (I do not have funds to set up a company). Btw... modding tools for JA3D doesn't sound very handy for 'everyman-modders'.

(...edited readable later)

Hello Abernathy! It's always good to see another Codexer out and about.

It looks like the relevant threads are gone at the Strategy First forums, but there are some at the Mist land forums (here, here, here, and here) that indicate that Mist land wanted RTwP.

Hey baby arm, nice to see you too :thinking:

And thanks for those links - there were a couple there that I hadn't read, and I thought I'd read the whole forum!

(BTW, I'm on Bearpit too - but under my old nick. I took exception to a certain (now banned) poster calling you 'baby boy' in a JA3D thread recently...)

I can't help but wish Mistland is taken off this project. Or at the very least JA3. Their previous games are just sooooooooooo bad and their attitude just plain stinks.

And for the writer of that E3 article...do you *really* think it is a good idea for a developer that wanted to change the entire combat system (to a mindless clickfest, no less) reign to implement "new features" into a franchise like JA?

Yeah, that was an eye-opener. Richard's been evasive and vague about this rumour for quite some time now, but he's never outright said it's not true.

I'll be monitoring .dat's forums closely to see how they respond, but I suspect the cat is more or less out of the bag already...