X-COM: Resurrection

Gimli

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, never heard of him, but he supports this idea? who talked to him?

But you did play this game called X-COM: UFO Defense, right? ;)

I contacted Julian, because my idea of a potentially excellent new X-COM game is the Gollops and Nival working together :lovetammy:. Now we have the support of both, and thus a much "stronger hand" when contacting 2K Games / Atari. As it happens I'll probably go to this years E3, and hope to be able to speak to the right 2K Games people there. That, and maybe to Julian and a few of the Nival representatives.

But you did play this game called X-COM: UFO Defense, right? :lovetammy:

I contacted Julian, because my idea of a potentially excellent new X-COM game is the Gollops and Nival working together :). Now we have the support of both, and thus a much "stronger hand" when contacting 2K Games / Atari. As it happens I'll probably go to this years E3, and hope to be able to speak to the right 2K Games people there. That, and maybe to Julian and a few of the Nival representatives.

I have, never liked the damn game ;) I enjoyed Apoc though.

Ah! Kasey Chang, that's the one I remember.

We have the support of Gollops and Nival?? :) Well, that's certainly excellent news! Though I think you'd have to contact TakeTwo? Don't they hold the rights?

I have, never liked the damn game :lovetammy: I enjoyed Apoc though.

Ah! Kasey Chang, that's the one I remember.

We have the support of Gollops and Nival?? :) Well, that's certainly excellent news! Though I think you'd have to contact TakeTwo? Don't they hold the rights?

Well, 2K Games is listed as the trademark owner, while Atari lists the games in their support section. Take your pick ;)

I'll contact them in due time, though I may wait for E3. Time will tell :)

You may want to wait for E3. People have tried before (and failed) to ressurect X-Com via email. Granted, they didn't have the sheer support that you do, but it's a lot harder to brush off a person standing next to you compared to an anomyous email.

Agreed. If I were to contact them about this through e-mail, it would be with the support of contacts. I "know" quite a few people in the business by now. But since most people seems to have little time for this before summer, I think it's better to do as you say, and wait for E3.

How the heck did you get onto the creator? So your telling me that we could except a new X-COM title in the near future?

Not at all! I merely said that he supports our campaign. It's the publisher that owns the X-COM brand, so without them deciding to go for another game in the series nothing will happen. It's good to have the support of Nival employees and Julian Gollop however, as that strengthens our cause considerably with both the brand owner and the community.

Nival would be interested in developing the next game in the series if offered (though this is not an "official" Nival statement, only the opinion of several people in the team). Julian Gollop is positive to us trying to get a new X-COM game made, and I suspect he would also be quite interested in helping the development. I'll not quote either directly here, but that's how I've understood the communication I've had with them so far.

As for helping us, they would probably give interviews for us to have at a X-COM: Resurrection site, and offer whatever tips they could. We can't expect them to participate actively however, so it's up to us.

I would like to hold this off for some time still however, as I don't have the time needed to dedicate just now. Therefore I suggest (again) that we pick this up again closer to summer, when my exams are done.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, just read through this entire thread and it's getting me damn excited :cool: hoping for the best! my only wishes for a new x-com game would be that the graphics are kept simple and clean. Silent Storm is perfet use of 3D graphics. UFO: Aftershock did it pretty bad. can't see shit in that game.

as for the story, I think it's gonna be pretty hard to keep building on the story of the three previous games. that's what most people want obviously, but where exactly would it be going? also, a game like this needs to start off pretty basic. I didn't like how Apocalypse started off with all that advanced technology already.

here are some ideas I got just reading this...

you don't actually know you're fighting aliens right away. well, you as a player know obviously, but the game treats you like you don't know. aliens are coming to town and they're taking over the minds of humans. this causes riots in the streets and civilians attacking important buildings around the globe. the aliens are staging an attack and doing this to confuse an weaken us beforehand. it gets so bad that the governments have to take serious action and put in all their available military forces to defend themselves. you're playing as one of the commanders in charge.

at first you'll only fight mind probed human mobs and military units going crazy. then you find more and more hints and finally UFO sightings are being reported. through research you put two and two together and you realize it's worse than expected.

this allows for a longer game with more to discover and more variation in game play. also, the increase in difficulty might be a bit smoother than the earlier games.

the game is set in the near future. not too far into the future. technology is still pretty much what it is today, with some improvements and some new technologies close to being fully developed. gives you a lot of research options right away. and when you discover alien technology it will change things a lot more than before. no more jet planes going around the world in 30 mins. you'll need to develope a lot more advanced aircraft to be able to hunt UFO's. your only chance of downing them before that is with ground missile defenses.

as for researh, there could be different branches you'd have to choose from. most things would always be available for research, but a few things you have to choose which are to research and develope. I can't come up with a good example right away, but let's put it like this.... you find some new alien technology and you research it. now you get the option to research two different ways to use this technology. the one you don't choose to researche will become unavailable for you for the rest of the game. of cours this won't apply to anything necessary to complete the game. but I think it'd do a lot for replay value. let's say there are only 3 such occasions with each having 2 options... just that would lead to a total of 10 different research combinations. as this is alien technology we're talking about, the human scientists are pretty clueless about it and this means they won't find all different uses for it. just look at how slow research is going in real life.

so yeah, that's that. I'm bored as hell, that's why I even bothered doing this, haha.

Altar did have that thing whereby you could upgrade wither the speed or the range of the Laputa, but not both. Unfortunatly, it doesn't make a big difference to Aftershock.

I love the idea of the aliens unravelling out social order to weaken humanity before they make a direct appearance. They used the idea of a collapsing social order in Acopalypse, but they never made it clear if the aliens were behind it, and if so, how.

Expanding on that theme slightly, I'd like to see the aliens increasing international suspicions to prevent any form of multinational cooperation before it is too late. This means that international politics becomes far more important to the player than in X-Com EU.

The way this could work is that if the player starts off as the commander of an American unit and he wants to conduct anti-alien operations in Nigeria or even establish a base there, he must provide concrete evidence to the Nigerian government of the alien threat if he doesn't want to fight the local security forces. The catch is that the aliens might have a spy in the Nigerian government or the government might decide to stab the player in the back.

Yeah, nice ideas. :cool:

You know, now that you mention the research, it would be good if those things you research that are mutually exclusive, determine your style of play for the rest of the game (for example will you be a more "hide units in shadows" type of player, or direct assult, or Psi etc.).

I also like your riots idea. That would nicely add to the story without really going against it.

yeah, that's what I had in mind for the research. not minor differences but not too big either. taking some random alien technology as example again, you could either use it for purpose of developing new weaponry or defensive equipment. so you can affect the way you play the game more.

the foreign politics is a nice idea too. I could see Earth divided into like 10 different regions with their respective government and you would really have to struggle to be able to protect them all and be on their good side. at the same time, if a region suffers from a lot of UFO attacks they might ask you to sign a contract with them instead of the other way around. added to this, all regions will have different relations to each other which means you have to be careful who you choose to side with.

Expanding on that theme slightly, I'd like to see the aliens increasing international suspicions to prevent any form of multinational cooperation before it is too late. This means that international politics becomes far more important to the player than in X-Com EU.

Seen signs of this in real life lately? Maybe the editor of a certain Christian Norwegian newspaper has ties to another sort of "God" than he thinks...

Seriously though, it would be easy for the aliens to exploit religion and other evils to initiate this. As you say, aliens actively destabilizing earth before making an approach would add a great new aspect to the game! :cool:

Wow. I'll try to write out as much as I can, reading this has inspired much. Appologies in advance for anything potentially "rant"like etc.

Thanks to this Site->Forum->Thread the last little bit has fallen into place. The reason I like Stargate is because of XCOM. Take out the actual "Stargate" itself & what you have left is XCOM. Trying to list out the similarities just ends in :cool: for me right now for various reasons but its there in spades. If someone familiar with Stargate:SG-1 could do that please.

A range of guns is good but a system that randomly generates company names & characteristics to generate weapons would add huge replayability if done well & would be much better than a static list. Set the characteristics in the "Buy" screen to create an order for what you want then send out & in a few =insert time= you start getting the bids from the competing companies for you to screen & select from. Then select what you want to start a supply contract.

Soldiers: See above. ;-)

Vehicles of any/all kinds: See Above. ;-)

Equipement/Gear: Rinse. Repeat. ;)

The next gen of this series really needs political elements!

Investigations show that there is an arms company that is tied to =insert faction= etc:

A particular company becomes the source of a lot of equipment & the need for it is increasing as the preasure seems to increase. Then a country suddenly goes full rogue & military with lots of direct alien inspired equipment & fighting fervor right when a seemingly totally reliable & relied upon company seems to go under... oh my I think I'm drooling

Story. Lots to pull from. Some already mentioned by me some by others.

My nick is not original but given the subject matter... it literally was all I could think of.

XcomRocks!

Nice to see things back on track again.

I would love to go to E3, but the timining is never right. If you've got the backing of the Gollops and Nival, as has been said, you are in a much stronger position.

I'd be interested to know when the trademark on X-Com expires. There might be something similiar to music, ie, you can renew it once, and then it goes into the public domain. I don't know if that applies here, but it depends if video gaming can be defined as a cultural artform.

• 4 months later...
I'd be interested to know when the trademark on X-Com expires. There might be something similiar to music, ie, you can renew it once, and then it goes into the public domain. I don't know if that applies here, but it depends if video gaming can be defined as a cultural artform.

Not quite, I've just had a look at Wikipedia on "Abandonware" and it says:

Because abandonware would conflict with the stated goal of granting "exclusive right" (irrespective of profit), it is not currently recognized in the United States. In 2003, the United States Supreme Court further clarified this in deciding Eldred v. Ashcroft, 537 U.S. 186, which affirmed the legality of the Copyright Term Extension Act, an act that extended the current copyright terms by an extra 20 years. The decision noted that, so long as a copyright term is finite, it is permissible under the Constitution. Thus, a copyright in the United States is protected by the full strength of the law until it expires, between 70 and 120 years after initial creation, giving the copyright owner the monopoly for the duration.

In short, 70 to 120 years after the initial creation of the game.

So if for example, a game was made in 1987, it wouldn't run out at least until 2057 and at most 2107.

Sheesh, forgot completely about this thread, and this side of the forum, too. ;)

Slaughter, how is the situation now with Nival, after Heroes 5? Did it sell well enough? Any news from them recently?