Other gaming news

Well it's actually Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier, though I suspect Thor was referring to the "tank" thing looking like something right out of UFO >:]

It also looks a bit like a Siege Tank out of Starcraft 2 as well mind you.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier

This is why gaming pisstakes never really work. Games mock themselves so effectively it leaves no room for satire or parody. I mean look at that title.

Tom Clancy - writer of manly technothrillers for today's Walter Mitty.

Ghost Recon - manly men, silent killers all, etc etc.

Future Soldier - hi-tech geekery combined with macho love.

It's a perfect satirical title for a game, but it's an actual game.

And the cookie goes for... Pete! :oh:

That drone thing sure reminds me of a HWP (Tank/Canon) or even a UFO:Aftershock drone.

Footage:

- direct to in-game action IGN coverage

- game's full E3 presentation at the official site (includes above segment)

There's also a recent preview article here.

I'd surely prefer to see something more along these lines for XCOM. Squad-based third-person tactical shooter which switches to first-person in certain situations (i.e. for accurate aiming).

Someone mod in some aliens and we are game. >:]

::

Too bad it's from Ubi; it will probably have DRM up the wazoo... :P

• 2 weeks later...

Vic Davis (of Armaggedon Empires and Solium Infernum fame) offers some insight into what his new project is about in his blog.

It's to be called "Six Gun Saga" and a screenshot is shown.

::

"Every gun makes its own tune."

- Clint Eastwood as 'Blondie', "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo" (aka The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) motion picture, 1966

This is why gaming pisstakes never really work. Games mock themselves so effectively it leaves no room for satire or parody. I mean look at that title.

Tom Clancy - writer of manly technothrillers for today's Walter Mitty.

Ghost Recon - manly men, silent killers all, etc etc.

Future Soldier - hi-tech geekery combined with macho love.

It's a perfect satirical title for a game, but it's an actual game.

We're entering a post irony age here.

I mean, there's a live Yogi Bear movie starring Dan Ackroyd and Justin Timberlake.

It's physically impossible to make jokes about that. It's a one off gag from Mad Magazine, a "Studios are so desperate..." punchline, only it's an actual film.

Life is steadily getting too weird to parody.

I dunno, it'd be a bit short if there were.

Sergeant: "Sir, there's a zombie outbreak in central London"

General: *splurts mouthful of tea everywhere then quickly regains some composure* "F**king hell! Get on the phone to the Navy and have one of those subs fire a nuke at 'em"

...5 minutes later...

BBC (North) Newsreader: "Breaking news - there was a zombie outbreak in London, but it has been swiftly dealt with by the country's military. Citizens are currently rejoicing in the streets".

That whole bit sounded like I have a problem with London, but I don't - it's just where we keep our most rabid citizens - in parliament boom-boom :(

Ah, it's funny cos it's true.

Reminds me of the foreign guy working at the brewery in Family Guy whenever anyone says that nowadays. Okay, I'll stop getting sidetracked now.

Loving the fact that they're not trying to dumb down the comic, loving the whole immune but infected bit, and loving Francis (though not literally) - he always gets the best lines.

Just want them to meet up again so Bill can deliver the slightly whiney line he always delivered when I, as Francis, accidentally punctured him with an entire Uzi clip on many an occasion: "Fraaaancis!!!"

Yet another great installment for The Sacrifice. I also noted with some excitement the plethora of new content coming for both L4D and L4D2 based on the comic, as well as the first campaign of L4D becoming available to play on L4D2 with all of the latter's weapons, and all this just one day after my birthday :(