v1.2 patch

druid

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You damn Muppet!!

It should be easier than falling off a log, dude. Maybe if you're still having problems you could tell us what you don't understand, and we could walk you through it? Where did you get the patch from? There's a ton of places to get it, including here: https://www.3dgamers.com/games/silentstorm/downloads/

If you're still having problems, go stick your head in a bucket of cold water, spin around three times, and drink some milk. That usually helps anything.

What's the problem? You just double click the .exe file and it will start installing (at least that's what's supposed to happen).

Oh, and welcome to the boards!

Dude It downloaded as a largish file and there is no executable,if you double

click it you get a prompt asking what you wish to use to open it.......Damn lousy

brain DUH!!!!

thx for reply man I appreciate it,I will prolly dl it from a different site.

You damn Muppet!!

It should be easier than falling off a log, dude. Maybe if you're still having problems you could tell us what you don't understand, and we could walk you through it? Where did you get the patch from? There's a ton of places to get it, including here: https://www.3dgamers.com/games/silentstorm/downloads/

If you're still having problems, go stick your head in a bucket of cold water, spin around three times, and drink some milk. That usually helps anything.

<<<<Mr Foozie Bear eheheheheh

thx for reply dude I is gonna go dl from your link :huh:

You're welcome, druid.

Welcome to the forums! Tell us what you think of the game, and we'll help you in any way we can. Well, we won't wash your car, though.

I love the game but bugs were killin my enjoyment,I hope this patch will reduce

the crashes,I find with a team of 4 snipers I can sleepwalk thru both campaigns

but only if they carry support weapons and that cool 1 shot laser weapon for taking

out the Panzerkleins.A scout is also handy for early target aquisition but as Snipers

can see for miles due to there skill tree I dont bother.

I see theres an add-on pack available,do you know if its any good?

Yeah, the bugs can be a real pain. Most annoying for me (I think I got the US version, which was patched to 1.2 already) were the omissions and plain-ol' mistakes the developers made. Things like the typos in the mission documents, the weird behavior of the AI, and other little things. But, now that I've come back to it again, none of that matters. I'm playing the game that it IS, warts and all, and not the game I think it should be... A better way of living, I think.

The All-Sniper Squad, eh? I've never tried that. I recently hired my main (a grenadier), my medic, 2 snipers and 2 scouts, and nothing can stand in my way. I got really good at hiding, almost TOO good, and could sneak up on guys, right in front of them, on a sunny day, and kill them with throwing stars... :huh:

And yeah, there is an expansion, but only in Europe and the UK (and Russia, of course). It's called Silent Storm: Sentinels, or S^3, and it has several tweaks and improvements, as well as new missions and goals. It doesn't integrate with S^2, unfortunately; it's more like a stand-alone improvement pack.

Glad you're enjoying the game! How's the patched performance?

Yeah, the bugs can be a real pain. Most annoying for me (I think I got the US version, which was patched to 1.2 already) were the omissions and plain-ol' mistakes the developers made. Things like the typos in the mission documents, the weird behavior of the AI, and other little things. But, now that I've come back to it again, none of that matters. I'm playing the game that it IS, warts and all, and not the game I think it should be... A better way of living, I think.

The All-Sniper Squad, eh? I've never tried that. I recently hired my main (a grenadier), my medic, 2 snipers and 2 scouts, and nothing can stand in my way. I got really good at hiding, almost TOO good, and could sneak up on guys, right in front of them, on a sunny day, and kill them with throwing stars... :huh:

And yeah, there is an expansion, but only in Europe and the UK (and Russia, of course). It's called Silent Storm: Sentinels, or S^3, and it has several tweaks and  improvements, as well as new missions and goals. It doesn't integrate with S^2, unfortunately; it's more like a stand-alone improvement pack.

Glad you're enjoying the game! How's the patched performance?

Hey Munkey,its Mr Foozie Bear here!! Granadier is not always an obvious choice until you

have played for a while.I find 4 snipers gain lvls fast and have no problem with fibia<<<

fightin in built up areas or wasting those panzerklein fools.

No idea bout the patch as I spend way too much time playing Diablo 2, gonna play ss

tonite so will report back.

Donnie Darko mad world

Have no problem with FIBIA fighting? Huh?!

Fozzie, lay off the crack, yo!

Yeah, tell us what you think, and what problems (if any) you are still having.

And I agree about the grenadier as main. Sniper makes a lot of sense, because they're usually so far from the action that they can't get whacked. But, I sure like being a Grenadier. I like to play Axis, make my main a black guy, and give him the slow Italian voice...he seems like an old friend that way. :huh:

Have no problem with FIBIA fighting? Huh?!

Fozzie, lay off the crack, yo!

Yeah, tell us what you think, and what problems (if any) you are still having.

And I agree about the grenadier as main. Sniper makes a lot of sense, because they're usually so far from the action that they can't get whacked. But, I sure like being a Grenadier. I like to play Axis, make my main a black guy, and give him the slow Italian voice...he seems like an old friend that way. :D

Dude I loaded my allies then axis saved games and it runs like treacle(my PC is hi spec

and i always play games with all maxed) and the bugs are still there!!!

Im pretty pissed right now as I figured the patch was gonna fix it now it appears more

like a snake oil saleman :/

My OS is XP home edition which I think suks so maybe its the OS not the game.

Ive played ss loads so im gonna quit it now,the problems out weigh the pleasure it

is to play it.Guess I wont buy the exp pack lol.

Nevermind I go back to Diablo 2.

Thx for your help>>>>>>>Mr Fozzie Bear :huh:

Arrgh! Stupid game. Did you save your game on the world map, and then load it up from there?

Also, unless you have a real mad bastard of a PC, you probably shouldn't run this game on highest settings...I've got an Athlon Sempron 2800+ with an FX5600 grfx card and a gig of ram, and if I enable 32-bit color, my game slows to the proverbial treacle. Crap on that. I'd rather have fun at 16-bit color.

So I'd suggest saving a game on the world map and THEN applying the patch, or reinstalling the game before you give up.

Diablo 2 is just a shopping game, really... :huh:

Good luck, Fozzie!

Arrgh! Stupid game. Did you save your game on the world map, and then load it up from there?

Also, unless you have a real mad bastard of a PC, you probably shouldn't run this game on highest settings...I've got an Athlon Sempron 2800+ with an FX5600 grfx card and a gig of ram, and if I enable 32-bit color, my game slows to the proverbial treacle. Crap on that. I'd rather have fun at 16-bit color.

So I'd suggest saving a game on the world map and THEN applying the patch, or reinstalling the game before you give up.

Diablo 2 is just a shopping game, really... :D

Good luck, Fozzie!

I dont have a world map save game so I guess I need to create one then export

the save game,uninstall ss,reinstall,import savegame then patch the mo-fo.

Oki dude youve persuaded me to waste another 30 mins on this bugged donkey.

Have a gd w/e and thx again

To be honest the only thing that will run SS with the graphics ramped up ALL the way is a NASA super-comptuer/. I've got a top spec machine with double the system requirements in some areas including teh graphics card and I still can't run it smoothlyat 32-bit colour.

I'm guessing that if you ahve the graphics up full, the programme might be crashing when itruns out of memory or tries to keep up with your orders. Turn the graphics down a bit and especially to 16-bit colour depth and see if itruns any better :D

Thanks, Pete, you've confirmed my suspicions about this game. When I upgraded from a 1400 Athlon to a 2800+ Sempron, I expected to be able to play with the settings close to max. I mean, the game was a year and a half old, and I was sporting some cool hardware! But no, alas. I still don't even play with the software cursors because I don't like that tiny bit of mushyness they have. Quick response, ugly cursors be damned!!

And Fozzie/druid: Good. Try it again. Reinstall. Get fresh. And see where your imagination will take you!! (i sound like a disney ad) And hey, if you stop enjoying it, go buy the expansion. There's only ONE patch for that... You can find it here: GoGamer.com I just ordered it myself, and I'm stoked! Also, try the demo! Many things are different including a few surprising things... :D

To be honest the only thing that will run SS with the graphics ramped up ALL the way is a NASA super-comptuer/. I've got a top spec machine with double the system requirements in some areas including teh graphics card and I still can't run it smoothlyat 32-bit colour.

I'm guessing that if you ahve the graphics up full, the programme might be crashing when itruns out of memory or tries to keep up with your orders. Turn the graphics down a bit and especially to 16-bit colour depth and see if itruns any better :D

Thx Pete surprise surprise you were correct,guess I shud of listened to Munky he seems

a smart helpful thingy.........lol

Thanks, Pete, you've confirmed my suspicions about this game. When I upgraded from a 1400 Athlon to a 2800+ Sempron, I expected to be able to play with the settings close to max. I mean, the game was a year and a half old, and I was sporting some cool hardware! But no, alas. I still don't even play with the software cursors because I don't like that tiny bit of mushyness they have. Quick response, ugly cursors be damned!!

And Fozzie/druid: Good. Try it again. Reinstall. Get fresh. And see where your imagination will take you!! (i sound like a disney ad) And hey, if you stop enjoying it, go buy the expansion. There's only ONE patch for that... You can find it here: GoGamer.com I just ordered it myself, and I'm stoked! Also, try the demo! Many things are different including a few surprising things...  :D

Hey Munky tis me ol Fozzie hehe,m8 the 32/16 bit color setting is the root of all evil,I

think if you set it to 32 bit then you open that puzzle box from hellraiser...eeeek!!!!

Think you und Pete came to the correct answer so huge thx man.

SS jeez the first game to break my Pcs balls :)

Yep! It's a ballbreaker, but it ain't the shabbyness of your PC that is to blame: It's the shabbyness of the code that displays the graphics (and lots of other code, as well). Yeah, every game has its little mistakes and bugs, but this one has a lot more than it's share, even after a patch. Most of it is just stuff you can't really take issue with, like translation/localization stuff, but there's some pretty egregious bugs, too, like the base skills problem. Not a game breaker, but once you learn of it, it is hard not to exploit.

So yeah! Your machine is FINE. Mine plays Half-Life 2 really well (god that's a pretty game) and it makes S^2 look like crap with 32-bit colour. So yeah. Don't worry about an upgrade (yet). Wait for Hammer and Sickle...YES!!

Yep! It's a ballbreaker, but it ain't the shabbyness of your PC that is to blame: It's the shabbyness of the code that displays the graphics (and lots of other code, as well). Yeah, every game has its little mistakes and bugs, but this one has a lot more than it's share, even after a patch. Most of it is just stuff you can't really take issue with, like translation/localization stuff, but there's some pretty egregious bugs, too, like the base skills problem. Not a game breaker, but once you learn of it, it is hard not to exploit.

So yeah! Your machine is FINE. Mine plays Half-Life 2 really well (god that's a pretty game) and it makes S^2 look like crap with 32-bit colour. So yeah. Don't worry about an upgrade (yet). Wait for Hammer and Sickle...YES!!

Base skills problem.....how intriging prey tell? Tell or I send my ferrets to visit you in the

wee small hours.

Shooting ppl is murder but hell it sure is fun

Mr foozie Bear :D

Gonzo here, reporting that indeed, it appears that shooting people IS murder... :D Hmmm, we shall all have to get new hobbies. Phooey.

The base skills problem (no ferrets, no!) is simply that, by the mid-to-late game, when you're around level 10 or so, the dudes at the base have way better skills than any of the dudes in your squad. They level up too, you know, but for some reason (some buggy reason, you dastardly ferrets) they level better than the guys who are actually out getting the experience on the front lines. :)

There's a simple fix to this, though. All you have to do is go here and get yourself the Skill Watchdog. Read the readme for easy install instructions. If you don't want to fix this issue, you don't have to, but it makes it really easy to hire some really skilled guys and some consider it a 'cheat'. :) But whatever.

Gonzo here, reporting that indeed, it appears that shooting people IS murder...  :D  Hmmm, we shall all have to get new hobbies. Phooey.

The base skills problem (no ferrets, no!) is simply that, by the mid-to-late game, when you're around level 10 or so, the dudes at the base have way better skills than any of the dudes in your squad. They level up too, you know, but for some reason (some buggy reason, you dastardly ferrets) they level better than the guys who are actually out getting the experience on the front lines. :)

There's a simple fix to this, though. All you have to do is go here and get yourself the Skill Watchdog. Read the readme for easy install instructions. If you don't want to fix this issue, you don't have to, but it makes it really easy to hire some really skilled guys and some consider it a 'cheat'.  :) But whatever.

Morning Munky,hell you get up early!!

Thx for the info dude,what lvl did you complete the game at?

I suppose as the lvl up 'problem' is in the original code then in a court of law it cant be a

cheat.I did consider hex hacking this baby but it almost always ruins the game so I er er

didnt :)