How to slow down research

Makinus

there is any editor that allows the slowdown of the research??? I would like to increase the "research costs" of all areas so the new techs came more slowly to the game and i am forced to use conventional weapons for a longer time...

I can achieve this by simply don't hiring more scientists but i would wish to have a game change that would give me this effect so i am forced to hire more scientists to overcome huge research costs...

Other way would be changing the Research Facility so it would have less space for scientists, forcing me to build additional facilities...

I don't know if this is possible, but any solutions or alternatives would be welcome

Thanks

MY FIRST POST! --- This has been added for (future) historical reasons :huh:

Try XComUtil (https://xcomutil.scotttjones.com). It has an option called Research Help from Captured Aliens. If you enable it the research times for all items are greatly increased (it can go up to 10 times the scientist/days needed to get that item) and you need to capture live aliens in order for the research to progress quickly. For instance, to get the Avenger you need 250 scientists working for 36 days on that single project.

It is a great feature to use, although you don't get much happy when Ethereals drop out of the sky and you are still stuck to standard armor and lasers :huh:

Cool, i'm already trying it.... on a side note, i was looking at the Xcomutil cfg file, in the place where this Research from captured aliens is set and i noticed that there was a number of "Research days" set for every field of the tech tree and i was wondering if changing that number would change the research in the game...

Other thing i would wish to know, if i understand correctly the "Research from captured aliens" only increased tech costs for alien tech, right? So the human tech cost is still the same as in the unmodded game? There exists any table somehere with the "stock" tech costs so i could compare them with the tech costs in the xcomutil cfg file?

I also noticed that all the tech costs in the xcomutil cfg file use numbers below 1000 (the biggest if i remember correcly is 880), there is any limitation in the tech cost number, or i could change a tech cost to 1200 for example?

Finally, you mentioned advanced aliens showing up while i'm still in low tech, so i presume that the appearence of advanced aliens and tech is hardcoded? It does not show according to the advancement of the human player? There is not any way to slow down the Alien tech and type advancement?

And thanks for the prompt response of my original question... i'm already tinkering with xcomutil (9.60 beta) to enhance my xcom game.... man i love this game! :huh:

I never changed the values on the XComUtil config file but i would say that you can either change the days required or the Mul (difficulty multiplier) variable in order to get longer (or shorter) research times, or even change the research help gained from each alien rank. I think Scott used the original research values (the Day column) but used the multiplier to change the number of days necessary.

If you look at the table there are also entries for the human tech, although their research times are greatly decreased from alien tech, but it depends on the specific tech. For laser weapons the multiplier is 10 (meaning no change from the original game) but for motion scanners the Mul is 50 (5 times the original time for research) and for medikits 100 (10 times).

I would say for you to try finishing first a game with Scott's original settings and afterwards experiment with changing the Mul values. But if you set them too high you might have problems finishing the game. There was a bug on the previous version of XComUtil where you didn't get almost no research help and it took me almost 3 years before i was able to get to Cydonia.

Finally, the appearance of the higher races of aliens isn't related to your progress in research. The only way to slow down the appearance of the advanced races is to play the original game to make use of the bug that resets the difficulty level to Beginner every time you load a saved game (XComUtil fixes that bug btw).

thanks man, i'll try to tinker with the settings in the xcomutil to see what happens...

my objective is to have a very longer game (your 3 years to reach cydonia would be like it), so i have a sense of a more longer struggle against the aliens... i always thought that the time xcom takes to defeat the aliens is too short...

useing xcomutil i will start the game with the following "house rules":

- Superhuman difficulty.

- Research from captured aliens (and increased research times in the human techs).

- Can't use stuning weapons (so a alien will be captured only rarely, further decreasing research speed).

- 1.000.000,00 initial money (hey, it's a world-wide organization)

- 50.000,00 initial funding per country

- Nearly all of the Xcomutil enhancements (improved lasers, etc.)

- No Psi

- I can get a country back from aliens if i pay 1.000.000,00

• 1 month later...
Other thing i would wish to know, if i understand correctly the "Research from captured aliens" only increased tech costs for alien tech, right? So the human tech cost is still the same as in the unmodded game? There exists any table somehere with the "stock" tech costs so i could compare them with the tech costs in the xcomutil cfg file?

I also noticed that all the tech costs in the xcomutil cfg file use numbers below 1000 (the biggest if i remember correcly is 880), there is any limitation in the tech cost number, or i could change a tech cost to 1200 for example?

Xcomutil modifies all the research alien and human. the xcomutil config uses the first two coumns to set the days to research. The first column is the game defaut, the second is the multiplyer.

You only want to change the second column. a value of 10 leave the setting at 100% of the first colum. all human tech is set to this. most alien stuff is set to 100 or 1000% (x10) original value.

If you want a real chalange try

xcomutil ufoexe RSH:MAX WRT

This sets all research to 0x7fff or 32767 days. With this you probably will not see laser weapons till the 3rd year :lol:

-Blade FireLight

I actually recently looked into what he changed. If you're interested in editing the .exe itself you could change the numbers yourself. I found all the offsets he changes in the .exe for that feature and you could do it manually. It would probably be easier to do it with xcomutil however. So yeah, Good luck.