Movie discussions...

Slaughter

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I'll clarify.  The person was supposed to have been knocked unconscious and then drowned in the river.  So, how could the body be found UPSTREAM?  Last time I checked, dead people couldn't swim.

Hehe, I see. Well, in that case I agree something is wrong. I've heard about cramps making dead bodies "move", but not swim upstream :D

was the3 body actually meant to have drifted or is it some Joinathon creek style mystery to be solved? plus, was it a tidal estuary? that weay the body could go upstream when the tide was coming in!

MASK movie, wouldnt it be great if they had top notch ciomputa graphics to animate the vehicles flying round and changing form a car to a plane! fantastic! just make it for adults, dont aim for kids like the thunderbirds movie. if its got flying cars thats enough for the kids, give it a decent plot ferchrissakes!

FA u krazee fool!!  :D  David Bowie isn't in Dark Crystal, he was in (along with other human actors and a dog) Labyrinth (which I like aswell, the girl in it was FINE!) whereas Dark Crystal is totally "muppet" orientated.

'cos I kinda like that fiom, if I remember correctly hasn't it got Andre the Giant in it?

FYI the lead actress (Jennifer Connelley) is still fine, Check out 'A Beautifal Mind' starring Russel Crowe, she's aged like a fine wine, with no hint of vinegar what so ever!

FYI the lead actress (Jennifer Connelley) is still fine, Check out 'A Beautifal Mind' starring Russel Crowe, she's aged like a fine wine, with no hint of vinegar what so ever!

Is that her? Cor. She's matured! Nice set of, um, lungs.

was the3 body actually meant to have drifted or is it some Joinathon creek style mystery to be solved? plus, was it a tidal estuary? that weay the body could go upstream when the tide was coming in!

It turned out she hadn't fallen, knocked herself unconscioius and then slipped into the river, she was assaulted, knocked unconscious and then dumped in the river. I was sat there at the end of the film feeling so insulted.

The police discovered her miles upstream, in a river, and they ruled her death as accidental. Silly mistakes like that make me want to drop hammers on people's fingers.

MASK movie, wouldnt it be great if they had top notch ciomputa graphics to animate the vehicles flying round and changing form a car to a plane! fantastic! just make it for adults, dont aim for kids like the thunderbirds movie. if its got flying cars thats enough for the kids, give it a decent plot ferchrissakes!

Never happen, sadly.

T3 synopsis:

"You know how there's no fate but what we make, and the future isn't set? WRONG"

What a terrible, shameless way to not only cash in but also shit all over the preceding films, which were both high quality.

And yes, DM, A:R was cack too. Shocking. Though after Aliens it all went to hell anyway.

Speaking of cack, they're remaking the War of the Worlds. You can find a trailer for it at https://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0407304/trailers if you want.

Weep, true believers. Tom "Shortarse" Cruise is in it and Shteven Shpielberg is directing.

NKF, I had to see it to believe it...

There's actually some information out there about the Transformers movie, such as Movies Online and Transformerland. Apparently Dreamworks, with Steven Spielberg, took over executive production of the movie last year, but Tom DeSanto (who did the XMen films) is the one in charge. John Rogers, who wrote the Catwoman script, is writing the Transformers script.

(I didn't see Catwoman, so I have no comments).

While looking around, I found something interesting... In a blog called Fuyoh!, in an article posted 13 December 2004, they mention something about a computer-generated Transformers movie being made in Japan, by Takara, set for release in 2006.

And then it says something odd: "This is apparently a separate project from the Dreamworks-helmed movie."

The Dreamworks movie is using actors (live action) while the Takara movie is CG. So we have not one, but possibly two Transformers movies coming out in 2006!

------

And now, please forgive my bragging... Way, way back in 1986, I was one of the first prize winners in the Transformers giveaway contest. One of only 100 who won a copy of the Transformers: The Movie VCR tape before it actually hit the shelves...

...sigh...

The saddest thing about that story is that I brag about it, and think I'm cool. :D

--Zeno

@Zeno: Nothing sad in bragging about Transformers! :) Interesting news, thanks for the heads up.

@FullAuto: I didn't see the original War of the Worlds, and this trailer showed pretty much nothing. But after seeing Minority Report I'm not too optimistic...

@DoomMunky: You think Resurrection is bad? You didn't see Alien 3, did you? :) Seriously though, I have the Alien Quadrilogy, with Directors Cut of all 4 movies. The first one was pretty much the same, the second one has a lot of goodies added, the third one became MUCH better and the fourth one is pretty much the same. That being said I think Resurrection is okay except for that white one in the end. AvP on the other hand, now there's a sack of SH**!

Regarding Terminator 3 I think Arnold and Loeken does a good enough job as the Terminators. Problem is those retarded people they have chosen to play John Connor and that girl. Romeo and Juliet would have suited those actors better... :D

Problem is those retarded people they have chosen to play John Connor and that girl. Romeo and Juliet would have suited those actors better

Plus they totally failed to stop Judgement Day. Morons. FYI, Claire Danes played Juliet in Baz Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet.

The Dreamworks movie is using actors (live action) while the Takara movie is CG. So we have not one, but possibly two Transformers movies coming out in 2006!

How are they making live action transformers? have they welded car tyres to hollywood actors or summat?

And now, please forgive my bragging... Way, way back in 1986, I was one of the first prize winners in the Transformers giveaway contest. One of only 100 who won a copy of the Transformers: The Movie VCR tape before it actually hit the shelves...

If I were you, I'd never stop talking about it! hehe, that is pretty cool claim to fame! I missed the last 5 minutes of that film, they were showing it during 'wet play time' (not dodgy, when the kids had to stay in cos it was raining) only I was doing something else the day they showed the end, and i remembered just in time to see the end credits rolling, i cried like a baby!

Speaking of cack, they're remaking the War of the Worlds.

(starts singing) "The chances of anything coming from mars aere a million to one, but still they came"

the chances of anything good coming from that project with cruise and spielberg onboard are probably slimmer!

(starts singing) "The chances of anything coming from mars aere a million to one, but still they came"

the chances of anything good coming from that project with cruise and spielberg onboard are probably slimmer

"Shtop. Zhish film ish not ready yet. Zhe lead actor hash not grown up...oh, itsh you Tom. Shorry."

Hollywood continues to remake, adapt and generally suck dry ideas already used over and over again. An actual original film is to be cherished and cuddled. Donnie Darko, for example. Pandering to the lowest common denominator isn't always the best thing to do.

On the 'plus' side of the upcoming film scales, there's Batman Begins, which looks pretty damn cool. Christian Bale as Batman (woohoo), plenty of villains (28 Days Later's Cillian Murphy as the Scarecrow), Michael Caine as Alfred (swish) and Katie Holmes as the bit of crumpet, no doubt (pant).

Hollywood continues to remake, adapt and generally suck dry ideas already used over and over again. An actual original film is to be cherished and cuddled. Donnie Darko, for example.

I love the fact that I've watched that film over and over again, and still havent quite tied all the loose ends together in my head! It's great and i understand the story, but still arent quite sure exactly what happens to facilitate the end, and indeed, im not totally conmvinced that there is just one answer. it's great, and one day i will come to a conclusion, then i will probably chuckle, wheeze, roll over and finaly die, my last words will be "Ohhh, thats exactly what happens at the end" which my surrounding family will probably take to be deeply spiritual when it isnt at all!

BTW, please no one try to explain what happens, i want to draw my own conclusions and so will not read them anyway so it's pointless trying :D

There is a widely-accepted theory concerning the film which covers pretty much everything, most of it can be put together just from repeated viewings, the director's commentary and 'The Philosophy of Time Travel' extra on the dvd. A visit to www.donniedarko.com is also a good place to start.

After watching it the first few times, I came up with my own theory which stood up to intense scrutiny from me, but I didn't tell anyone else, thinking I might have missed something. I then forgot the theory. :D

There is a widely-accepted theory concerning the film which covers pretty much everything, most of it can be put together just from repeated viewings, the director's commentary and 'The Philosophy of Time Travel' extra on the dvd.  A visit to www.donniedarko.com is also a good place to start.

After watching it the first few times, I came up with my own theory which stood up to intense scrutiny from me, but I didn't tell anyone else, thinking I might have missed something.  I then forgot the theory. :D

Lol, forgot the theory. You know that happaned to me, I was sat on the bog lettin my mind drift, and i created a perfect blueprint for a cold fusion powered worm hole creation drive, allowing instant travel to any point in the universe, as if that were'nt enough I realised that a small alteration would adapt for use through Time as well, but by the time I'd wiped and flushed it was gone!

Always the way, isn't it. Tut.

Watched 'Unforgiven' again last night, and I can honestly say there's never been a better Western. It's closer to the reality of the Old West than any other, brutality and cruelty are commonplace and people are often killed for money.

Clint Eastwood, looking old and tired, gravel-voiced and hard-eyed, plays a hired killer perfectly with an equally psychotic Gene Hackman as the local sheriff. The end shootout is the dog's bollocks, the entire film builds up to it and it's not a disappointment. It's nasty, brutish and short and there's none of that one-on-one duelling rubbish.

Just before it starts, Clint says "Any men don't wanna get killed better clear on out the back." and you believe him, despite the fact that he's massively outnumbered.

Then it's shotguns and six-shooters at close range.

Genius.

Part of it is, I think, he's tired of fighting the urge to kill. :D

"I'll see you in Hell, William Munny."

"Yeah."

BOOM!

It's such a fantastic film, it sums up the whole Western genre, the women in it are actual characters as opposed to cardboard cutouts, everything's dirty (including the fighting) and Clint isn't just this invincible killer, Little Bill beats him senseless when they first meet, and Clint himself says "I was lucky in the order. I'm always lucky when it comes to killing folks."

It's got so many classic moments and lines, all leading up to that shootout, which must last all of what? Ten seconds? Fifteen at most?

Until there is a section for general TV series, I think I'll make use of this thread for now.

Out of the blue, I went and picked up a DVD box set of Red Dwarf series I - IV. It's just that the two keywords "Sci Fi" and "Comedy" were located somewhere about the thing, hence I why I picked it up. (Currently a bit depressed - need something amusing to cheer me up) (Well, I would've picked up the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy movie - but the price shocked me for the length of time that the movie was supposed to be go for - and I've got the books, I don't think the movie covers all 5 books)

Having never seen the shows before or heard what they are about, I'd like some thoughts from those who have seen it. Anyone?

Also I'm having second thoughts about choosing between the complete Macross saga (not Robotech - the original Macross, uncut, digitally remastered and with english subs) or some other series that I can't remember at this moment. Do I cater to my nostalgic urges or should I go for something else? Blast this indecisiveness (rather, blast my lightly filled wallet!) This is just planning mind you.

- NKF

NKF, if you like anime and don't mind a switch to fantasy (instead of Macross-style sci-fi), check out the Lodoss War series. There are two versions--one is 13 episodes, the other is 27. They both have strengths (the former better artwork and storytelling cohesiveness, the latter more humour, better intro, and more setting development). I definitely recommend either of them if you have the budget, and if you are at all interested in either fantasy or anime.

There's also an anime movie set 300 years after the 27-episode version, called Legends of Chryssania or something similar. It isn't all that great, but is worth a look after watching the series, just for nostalgia.

As for Red Dwarf, no comments (never seen it).

I was considering purchasing the series, "Berserk", but haven't yet. Does anyone have any opinions about it? It's supposed to be fantasy, and looks dark (Conan-like, Jordon-style) but other than that, I have no idea.

------

Has anyone found any really great sci-fi anime, on the scale of Macross but with better artwork and much better dialog? I would love to find something dark, suspenseful, beautiful, evil, and long-running. "Ghost in the Shell" was good, but it was only one movie and wasn't addictive to me (and the second movie was a bit of a disappointment). I have found other "good" ones, but nothing that stands out like Lodoss War (for European-style fantasy) or Ninja Scroll and Curse of the Yoma (for Japanese-style fantasy).

--Zeno

• 2 months later...