Misleading U.S. Box Art

Shake

Is anyone particularly troubled by the fact that the box cover art on the U.S. release depicts a bunch of American GIs? I've completed the Allied campaign, but I don't recall seeing overtly American-looking troopers anywhere in the actual game. Now I know that advertising sometimes boils down to getting paid for lying, so maybe I shouldn't have let this get to me, but this strikes me as downright dishonest. Anyone else have an opinion they'd care to offer about this? :?

the idea is that it is a multi national squad taken from the best of all the allies (or axis) nations so there are some american troups but not all of them .

i have not seen the box art for the us version so i dont know if they are missrepresenting the game but the way i see it us troups have a monopoly on ww2 games as it is so it is nice to see other nations being represented too (they did not win the war on their own)

if you enjoy the game it doesnt really matter.

That wasn't my point. I bought the English version (I think) about 3 months ago - it came in a DVD-style box - so I wasn't taken in by the U.S. packaging. Believe me, I appreciate the fact that the U.S. didn't win the war all on its own! My point is that the box art represents S2 as yet another game featuring nothing but Americans, which is at odds with the game's multinational content that I enjoyed very much. End of rant.

Marketing is wack. Apparently, the US version also boasts a "random map generator" - something the UK version doesn't mention, and is technically a misnomer anyhow (for reasons I ranted about in another thread, but I digress).

Most people I know care more about reviews than box marketing, which is good. I guess my point is that marketing is wack.

Maybe they did have some art that represented multiple denominations, but it was drawn by a third-grader...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

CNN-fed Hollywood-numbed US game-buying public won't spend cash on anything which isn't strictly Government Issue.

No, I know you lads in the States don't all think like that, but distribution companies (for games, films, comics, whatever) think you do. Try and re-educate them by not spending your dollars on going to see the latest instalment in the Hollywood rewrite of military history.

Full marks to Nival for reflecting the international nature of the World War, as well as the professionalism of some of those involved, on both sides. Booby prize to the US distributors for missing the point.

Along the same lines, I would have liked more skins. What if I wanted a commando squad of only Japaneese or Russian soldiers? As an American, I kind of wanted my leader to be an American officer but had to give him a Brittish looking uniform. Small stuff really. Thank God other countries in the world market software because no American company had yet to make or market a decent WW2 tactical game.

I remeber a lot of people expressing disapointment with the American box art. it doesn't even reflect the style of game, let alone the content.

As for the uniforms, you're not the only one with a wish for more. Check out the modding forums :)

I think you'll like Sentinels in that regard. You can just buy the outfits you want your guys to wear!

• 1 month later...
I'll grant you that if all you saw was the FRONT of the US box, you'd get the impression that it was another *$^ "Invasion of Normandy"-type game. I thought the box was honest enough, though. If you looked on the back or on the inside "leaf flap," you could see Germans, British paratroops, etc. Besides, doesn't it say on the box that you can play as different nationalities? So how is that dishonest?