Um, weird bug?

uly

This happened to me a few times. There's a standard 3 men patrol with 1 officer flanked by 2 soldiers. I sneak and hide at a spot they stop to turn corners in real time mode and wait. (My scout's hide skill is high enough that they can't spot me beyond a few steps just as long as I remain still.) When the patrol comes by and turn the corner, I initiate the combat and run up to them with my katana. But just as I swing my sword against my first victim, all 3 patrolmen disappear! Poof! Seriously. The one that I slashed against at least dropped all his equipment (gun and ammo), but the other two just evaporated without a trace. There's no corpse, no blood, no dropped helmets, nada. It's kinda funny the first time I witnessed it, but a bit disconcerting to be sure.

Not a big bug, but still.

I've also had enemies vanishing on me when I hit them directly with a grenade. They'd drop their equipment but the corpse wasn't there. Not sure if this is a bug or it's the way it's meant to be though. I would have been nice if there were pieces of the dead body lying around to prove that he actually existed.

?!? I've yet to see this behaviour in the game (and yes I have the katana and I use grenades, usually frags, not HE), and I've played through axis on hard, allies on impossible, and now going through axis on impossible. No mods, no cheats, patch 1.1

do you have any mods installed, did any console cheats, how about patch level? maybe the next time this happens, you can open the console and check if there are any "weird" messages!

Grenade hits and mines can blow the enemy into a fine mist. It happens.. it doesn't happen a lot but it's more likely as your characters get more experience.

The katana does some huge damage .. so it is possible that it also can gibblet an enemy. But i 'thought' that exploding soldiers were fixed so only explosives could do it. But perhaps they just stopped bullets from doing it. (in the demo a single bullet could evaporate an enemy!)

I had the dissappearing enemy once with a grenade attack. He had climbed into a tree, and I could only hear him. I had Nessie frag him with a M24, and the pistol and ammo came down, but no body. The next bad guy I killed with a rifle then had two bodies around him, and I'm pretty sure that I only killed one. :?

"Vooshing" enemy into a fine red mist can be done easily with the mech sword on PKs; usually, I headshot, and *PAF* they're gone. If they're crouching, I just go for a generic (nonspecific) hit, and then it's not as likely that I get a one-hit kill, much less a voosh.

Don't think I've seen any "disappearances" tho, unless it was one of the rare "blow 'em through the wall" things. (Snipe the guy on the ladder, and he apparently teleported, as the red "unknown target" showed up when he disappeared from LoS. Later, I found his body on the other side of the wall... think it was a "forced fall" kill.)

Actually, just after I posted the initial thread, the same thing happened again... 20 times!! Well I didn't really count, but it'd be in that neighborhood. I was playing the Switzerland factory mission and again my scout evaporated at least a dozen and a half enemies. Yeah I notice that when I blow someone up with a grenade there's a red mist, but not when my scout cut them into thin air. Really, they just disappear without a trace.

By the end of that level, there weren't many dead bodies left...