First Character

Doc Holliday

I'm absolutely drooling for my copy of S2. The days crawl like soldier on the bellies.

I'm tossing around the idea of my first Allies/Axis characters. I know everyone loves Scouts and Snipers, but I was thinking of a Medic. Anybody try one out yet? I skimmed the abilities at high levels and I like the "Rally the Troops" feel. How many abillity points can one expect to earn through the game? Can you get all the abilities or do you REALLY have to choose a path? Any comments?

Personally I found scouts useless in my play-through and my team basically became snipers or soldiers. Medics always seem to be good with rifles, and would be helpful later on mabye.

I'm thinking of starting with an all scout mob though, just to see if I could do it.

Only one useful: the sniper.

Handle all weapons best.

Medic: anyone can heal=useless

Engineer: what the use when you can blow everithing? But fun.

Grenadier: what is that? Grenade are a bit more useful than melee and thrown knifes. But a all class just for that?

Scout: hide well and "sense" ennemies. One is fun.

Soldier: hide very badly, can spoil any ambush. And dont shoot well.

Sniper: they shoot super well, they hide very well, they do everithing wich count to survive a hostile evironnement. Give me 5 of them at list. They can even develop an observateur.

I totally disagree with Jaques.

I like Scouts & Soldiers, with a medic on the team ALWAYS.

i tried playing without a medic, and found myself doing the save/reload thing too much. Sre, the other classes can heal, but they don't get good enough to handle criticals properly.

As sniper is OK, but is rare that you get to watch your enemy for more than a turn, so sniper mode is limited. They are also pretty weak and can't survive the rigours of combat. Add to that the fact that you are likely to only find one silenced sniper rifle and you would be crazy to use just them

A Grenadier is a problem solver. 4 enemies, out of AP... let the grenadier handle it.

Mostly.. just play a character that matches your play style.

As for perks. You really do need to choose a path. Your likely to only get 13 - 15 levels, and the last few come pretty slowly. With one perk per level I try would suggest plannign out a path of say 9 or 10 perks and using the extras later as icing on the cake.

Biggle's right. If you play Impossible mode + Die Hard Mod, u can't survive without a scout. By the time your sniper spots the enemy, they're within grenade range and ur sniper definitely do not want to take that shot.

Personally I use grenadier as main hero.... yup, he sucks in hiding. But who needs hiding when he can hurl a lite grenade almost over the whole screen(fully zoomed out)!

Well my all scout team is doing pretty badly. It's hard to complete a missions when enemys stay in one spot all the time and you can't get the upper hand. Also, early melee weapons suck as do pistols.

I'll carry on though, but I have problems starting a new game (I can't get into it)

i am actually playing with a medic as main character right now (alto not looking like a medic) and i must say it is great for the main character...

if you dont mind delegating some of the fighting to your other team members he can really rock... my guy can shoot up to four times with his manlichter-karkano 38 rifle in one turn now and has a good chance to hit since the perks on a medic can help alot with shooting rifles and pistols...

hes only on level 3 by the way... wait til he gets higher...

after finishing axis on hard with a 4men team (2xsnipers, 1xscout and 1xsoldier), I've also come to the conclusion that soldiers are useless, and started the allied mission on impossible with a 2men team (1 sniper, 1 scout). the sniper wanders around outside taking out the enemy snipers and prepared positions, with the scout protecting him, then we move indoors with the sniper protecting the scout and "spotting" for her as she goes door to door.

If I "T" and target the enemy, then use all my APs to target, next turn I can always achieve a 1 hit kill (120+ VPs, to the head of course), with another 50 APs to take another shot if necessary.

My scout took a bit longer to train up, she's now 79% at throwing with some skills taken, so shuriken are 4AP to throw, and at same range as SMG but much higher% to hit than the silenced beretta SMG she carries to blow down doors that are locked. This morning before going to work, I took down 3 soldiers in a room with her, this would have been impossible with any other character (work the numbers: she has 70AP, each shuriken takes 4AP to throw at say 80%, versus a silenced SMG which takes 14AP to shoot, and I've never killed a non-wounded enemy before in one burst with an SMG, even with a soldier!)

I just found out last night my scout can target a fence and "trim" the barb wire at the top so she can scale it! This was with a katana, didn't try with any other weapon.

pity the katana can't be used to also bust open a chest or destroy a door (you can target these objects). I'll have to try to destroy a wall with the katana...now that sounds possible.

Don't trim the top of the fence. Aim a bit lower and you'll cut a hole under it :P

Same with the walls, you can aim at the upper or lower part and you'll get a hole in different heights.

I usually cut a hole under chests and let it fall and break :) If the box is at the lowest level then I trap it and shoot it with a silenced SMG :)

If I "T" and target the enemy, then use all my APs to target, next turn I can always achieve a 1 hit kill (120+ VPs, to the head of course), with another 50 APs to take another shot if necessary.

How do you manage that? I'm up to about 80/80, and even after using as many APs for aiming as possible, a process which takes 2 turns, the moment I press the "aim for head" button, the chance goes from 100% to 12% (not gonna happen). How'd you get it up to 100% on a head?

Since there's exactly 6 slots in your team, I think it's more interesting, gameplay wise, to have one of each class. Probably not the most effective combination but adds more variety to the battles.

Tactically, though, I've found a duo of a scout and a sniper extremely effective, especially if you're into stealth and finesse. I use the scout to be the spotter of sorts, keeping tap on enemy movement while my sniper roams afar, picking off enemies at a safe distance. Since sniper's shots are pretty loud, it can also be used to distract the enemies and allow the scout to sneak in for the throat slitting, and when the scout got spotted the sniper can also provide cover fire. Training up their respective strength early on also pay off big time. Scouts are really best focused on melee and throwing, since by the time silenced SMG become available they're already underpowered. The sniper should obviously stick with sniper rifles, and perhaps carries a SMG or MG just in case the swarm of enemies manage to come close enough.

Once you get the katana, shuriken and the silenced sniper rifle, though, this team become extremely deadly. Using these cute toys and having decent associated skills, my scout and sniper can finish off up to 6 enemies in a turn all without anyone noticing at around level 8. It's very satisfying to finish off a random encounter in a flash this way.

As with any kind of specialized tactics, this scout+sniper combo may become a bit tedious at times, and that's when my four other teammates come in. Aside from the very few hairy situations that just call for the assistance of medics, MGs, rockets, and PKs, my four auxilary members are also extremely skilled at carrying loot, which is obviously crucial to any successful strategy.