Starting out - questions

Norman

Just got the game today. Looks good so far. A couple of questions though.

I don't seem to start out with a Research base - I can only develop technologies. Do I just have to wait until the option to capture another base appears?

If I have a squaddie attack an alien that's out of range, he won't. He just stands still. Is there an option to have him move into range then attack automatically?

In asnwer to your first questionm you can either take mroe bases in the missions ahead, or simply click on your Enginnering base and change its type to Research instead. It take 24 hours for the base to be converted (fast little workforce eh?) but it's well worth it.

As for the latter, I just move him into range and then shoot. It's actually better this way, becaus edespite being in total control, there are missions where you wouldn't want to order your men to run up and shoot straight away.

Besides, everything changes so quickly in the game that once you start getting hordes of enemies coming at you you won't be planning more than one order ahead :rolleyes:

Thanks. An opportunity to capture another base came about ten minutes later... then another... then another!

Have to say the game's excellent so far. I don't know if I'm rushing ahead though. I just ran into an alien with a strange-looking gun which proceeded to decimate my five-man squad in five shots!

Have to say the game's excellent so far. I don't know if I'm rushing ahead though. I just ran into an alien with a strange-looking gun which proceeded to decimate my five-man squad in five shots!

sounds like what i ran into at area 51. i had to redo that mission 10 times and i still only completed it with one guy still alive. i'm not sure if this is a balance issue or not but i still have shit for weapons and armor and the aliens are throwing some crazy stuff at me.

I have finished Area 51, have 11 bases, and have yet to loose one man... :blink:

But the game is really hard, and in case you wonder, yes, I use the save/load A LOT! :rolleyes: I haven't taken too many alien missions yet though, and the aliens are REÀLLY bad in some cases...

i think u dont need this save/load orgy anymore... because in difference to Xcom EU & TFTD u never get "newbies" as recruits. they are always they same level than the average of your men... so loosing the best man isnt that worse anymore. you'll get new good soldiers soon...

but its true i'm loading too... but only sometimes if malcolm is dying...(he has level 14 now) :rolleyes:

i think u dont need this save/load orgy anymore... because in difference to Xcom EU & TFTD u never get "newbies" as recruits. they are always they same level than the average of your men... so loosing the best man isnt that worse anymore. you'll get new good soldiers soon...

but its true i'm loading too... but only sometimes if malcolm is dying...(he has level 14 now) :rolleyes:

i use save load like 2 times a minuite, because i just can't afford to loose my lvl 15 guy and so on

hmm now that sounds a bit OTT to me, but if its worth that much to u y don't u have him in training an let another trooper get experince?

Or is that 1 guy the 1 that does all dmg to the aliens?

i got my "super sqaud" with people very good at their specifik tasks.

Like i have 3 snipers that are heroic/super-heroic at marksmanship and excellent at almost everything else.

A RPG guy that is super heroic in lounchers. Two rifle guys that are excellent in rifles and so on.

And when I.E an alien comes with his ")(%=#)( plasma thing and kills my whole squad bcs i didn't see him soon enough or something like that i load and load :rolleyes:

https://home.no.net/jlongva/squad.JPG

every1 in that squad is 10+ :rolleyes:

I got 2 reserves over there, but they arn't to good.

Whenever i kill an alien and it seems clear i save, whenever one i get attacked and some of my people get killed i load :blink: