No turn-based?

eviled

To be honest, I never knew I was goig to be in the credits at all until my brother pointed it out when I was halfway through my first day of playing the game.

I built this site as the game had massive potential in my eyes. I'm sure there was more reason than that, like nobody else was really covering the news about it and it's a squad-based tactical game. If the game was utter shit, I'd have said so by now (rather than saying that in my opinion it's brilliant :)).

I wouldn't have closed the site if I didn't like the game, as that'd be lame of me. I don't run these sites to gain my moment of fame in small type in some gaming manual (and not in the in-game credits you'll notice ;)), but because I have an interest in the games and I'm willing to (when I pull my finger out) fork out on some server space and a fair chunk of time to follow its progress and (the most important part) build an online community for the game.

I like these type of games, as my site at https:/www.x-com.co.uk subtley shows, and I'm willing to give them a fair chance and some free advertising so that games developers can keep on making this type of game for years to come. There's just too many no-brainer games on the market, and UFO Aftermath has proved that there are a vast number of people who are interested in playing this kind of game and using their brains recreationally ;)

We happily express what we think of the game, and we encourage others to express their views too, so long as they're willing to say why they like or dislike something.

Naturally, I understand why those who have had technical problems with the game are peeved and are saying that it's utter rubbish, but if and when the technical issues are resolved, and they actually get a chance to play the game then they may like it.

As for comparisons to X-COM - I agree that there are a LOT of similarities, especially since this was a redesigned version of a game that was an unofficial continuence of what the X-COM series started out as, originally conceived by the creators of the first X-COM game and redesigned and almost completely changed by ALTAR, who are HUGE fans of the X-COM games and the Jagged Alliance series and listened to what the gamers wanted and tried to incorporate much of that into UFO:Aftermath from the start, whilst still sticking as closely as possible to their original concept ideas.

Erm... I've waffled lots since my first paragraph, but I believe I've pointed out why I like it and why I build these sites to follow the development of games that don't get the huge coverage that first-person-shooters or Commmand-&-Conquer type games receive.

Besides, building these sites is fun, interacting with the community and the developers is fun and (so far) all the games I've covered so far have been fun and interesting for me.

Must've repeated myself a few times by now :) So... Smurf, hope that answers your question, though I can see why you might have thought that.

Honestly though, I had no idea that my name would end up in the game manual at all, and like the majority of people, I had my fingers crossed about this game and only ever started playing it once it reached the shops.

Feel free to ask more questions... I think I've done overkill on this topic oops! ;):withstupid::D

Well, seeing how tuned in to the community ALTAR is, it doesn't suprise me to you're in the credits. Git from X-Command and some others appeared in the Interceptor credits. I was always kind of jealous about that. :hmmm:

I've thought about covering this game on my X-Com site, but ultimately I decided against it because my site is just X-Com and, more importantly, there's not much reason to add content when I could just link here. :withstupid:

I dunno, I do an OTT post a mile long and you write three lines Smurf :D

Bah, it'd be nice to be paid to do this, but then I'd have to go and work for some banner-ridden company like Gamespy (and move from teh UK to California... interesting :withstupid:).

Nah, the enjoyment factor is good and the fact that people like the site is a relief ;)

Yeah, sorry I'd been mainlining rant and had run out of steam (for a bit).

It's always good to know where people are coming from on forums, otherwise you end up spending all your time telling them stuff they already know. Oh dear..bet you knew that. ???

Thanks for the link, all my moaning about Aftermath has reminded me what great games the X-COM series were. I think I'm going to need to regress a little and dust off the CD. Damn, I'm probably going to need to dig out the ripped jeans, stop washing and start smoking again to get that authentic atmosphere.

As for ALTAR and Aftermath; I have a little more sympathy for them after having read the dev. diaries. It's pretty frustrating though to see so little advancement in a genre that's needs it so badly. OK..I'm going to stop before the shirt rips and I turn green.