Frequent crashes to desktop (ATi Radeon)

Drone

G'Day Gentlemen,

Yesterday I decided to lift my UFO:Aftermath from its shelve and give it a second try since I finished it quite some time ago.

So I installed the game, patched it up to v1.4 and started it up. Started up the tutorial mission and after a minute or so it suddenly crashed to the desktop. Restarted the game and got through the extremely hard :P tutorial mission this time without a hitch.

Upon playing the next tactical mission however there were many visual anomalies (big planes with weird colors) across the screen, clipping etc. And after a while of playing it crashed again.

Is this a known problem? Searching on Google indicated it might have to do with my videocard upgrade a GeForce Ti4200 To a Radeon 9800Pro a while back.

Thanks in advance! :laugh:

By the way you're describing things it's probably a driver conflict or the driver version is not the one recommended with this game.

Try to uninstall any and all video drivers, use a driver cleaner tool and then reinstall the drivers. I've actually forgotten what ATI driver versions are the best for this game. Anyway, you might want to try out the omega ones since they've proven to be better, at least to me.

By the way you're describing things it's probably a driver conflict or the driver version is not the one recommended with this game.

Try to uninstall any and all video drivers, use a driver cleaner tool and then reinstall the drivers. I've actually forgotten what ATI driver versions are the best for this game. Anyway, you might want to try out the omega ones since they've proven to be better, at least to me.

I've already tried the pre-catalyst control center ATi drivers and the newest Omega drivers. So if it's a driver problem it's probably not going to be able to be fixed. :laugh:

For a moment it looked like the new Omega's were working fine, but then it crashed back to the desktop again. *sigh*

I read other posts around the internet that UFO:AM somehow just dislikes ATi. That's a real bummer; I really did feel like playing it again.

This is by the way the error, as it is listed in the windows event manager (applications):

Faulting application ufo.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module atioglxx.dll, version 6.14.10.4773, fault address 0x002b5cb6.

It indeed seems to indicate a video driver issue.

Delving even further in the endless pits of Google resulted in a thread on an Aftermath forum (https://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=viewthread&b=4217&t=251,1066338241,688&s=0&id=562398#20), in which Scott T. Jones (XCOMUtil :laugh:) indicates having the exact same problem:

I am experiencing this problem on both the strategic and tactical screens when I switch to a menu and return. Large polygons are everywhere. You can still do something in the strategic view, but the tactical view is totally unplayable because you can't move through the corrupted polygons.

In that same thread no real solutions are posted to these issues.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the same issue, and now, a really, I mean, really stupid question, forgive me, but -

when I open the shortcut's properties drawer to enter the command outlined here (or rather: add the part starting on --, since it is in a different directory on my computer), it pops up a windows message telling me that that's an invalid path address. Am I just being incredibly ignorant (always a possibility)? Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!