System Requirements

Pete

I did it, I ordered the parts. A month late, but still well before the game comes out. For the hardware geeks among us, my new machine will be running an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ on an EPoX EP-8K5A2+ with 512mb PC2700 DDR RAM (to start, at least) with two 40gb, ATA-133 7400rpm on the IDE RAID controller in a RAID-0 configuration. I'm gonna carry my current GeForce2 Titanium over to it, at least until the GF5 comes out and then I may get a GF4 as prices drop. Oh, and its all in a slick Lian Li PC50 case that will eventually get modded with temperature readouts and lights and missile launchers. Well, maybe I'll hold off on the missiles.

I can't wait for the parts to arrive next week! I'm shaking in anticipation.

• 2 months later...

being a turn-based game, UFO won't really need that great of a graphics card (unless it uses those pixel shaders tech) cos it doesnt really process that many things compared to real-time - FPS games.

My main gripe is that they never ported any of the X-Com games to the Mac... i doubt UFO is gonna be ported over to the Mac for me to play on my G4 Powerbook... then again, my PC specs ain't that obselete (yet).

Athlon XP 1.6

512MD DDR Ram (gonna get another 512MB... hey it's cheap nowadays!)

40GB Western Digital HDD 8MB Buffer (7200)

15GB Maxtor (7200)

SB Live Value (gonna get Audigy 2 soon!)

64MB Geforce 4Ti 4200 (hope to get that Radeon that will come out after Geforce FX)

Network card

DVD rom

CD Rom

MMmm.. My fav Logitech Dual Optical Mouse

128MB Trek Drive for save game backup!! hehehhee

running Unreal, Doom 3 at highest settings is gonna be a problem though...

The graphics card requirement isn't affected by whether or not it is turn based or not, its about the graphics quality. They've said its gonna require a GF2 minimum (I forget how much RAM needed on the card though), and I believe in an interview somewhere it was stated that the minimum resolution will be 1024x768. One of the reasons a GF2 or higher is needed is because of the effects that will be required to deal with the lighting; because the maps aren't premade, the lighting effects have to be calculated in game. All the models and textures are high res too. Its gonna be alot of eye candy. :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...