English Demo!

Slaughter

What many of you have been waiting for is finally here: The English demo! It weights around 170 MB, and should have both a strategic and a tactical portion in it! So, what are you waiting for? Blow your bandwidth! ;)

Mirrors: 3DGamers (US), Boomtown (UK), Cenega (EU), Computer Games (EU), GameDemo (US), GamersHell (EU/US), WORTHPLAYING (EU).

If you have comments on the demo, or are looking for information about it, you can also check out our brand new demo forum!

I need your help... the demo doesn't work on my system. I always receive the following fault:

Setup has experienced an error:

Close any running programm (which i did)

Empty temporary folder (which i did)

Check your internet connection (Internet-based setup)

I have a router, which could be the problem (what they mean by Internet-based setup?)... Or what do you think?

Thx for every answer!

Keymaker

P.S. Sry for my poor English...

the demo (damn this game not bought yet!, release dates later and later 3,7,13,15,16,17 oct!!:devil: ) install fine, start/load up fine and very fast, strategy missions works fine too but while gaming about 10 minutes then my computer suddenly restart, it's 4th times now, why?????

plz help me to solve (probaly this problem is too with full version UFO?)

amd athlonxp 2600+

512 ddrram

geforce 4 ti4200 128 mb

winXP pro

I've got the demo working and it seems to work fine. Following are my first random comments: (I haven't followed the boards so pardon if some of this is a bit uninformed)

o Some things in the demo may not be like the actual game. I was able to defeat the "Crashed UFO" mission before the "downed pilot" mission. This immediately gave me access to several alien weapons. In the regular game I expect that they would have to be researched first. The first couple of times I played the "downed pilot" mission the odds were definitely against me. Naturally when I had alien weapons (laser gun and warp pistol) the scenario was much easier, but this may have been either the random generation of the mission or the fact that I took a different route across the map. Of coursd the laser gun helped me eliminate enemies at a greater range and I managed to get out without any casualties. Unfortunately the pilot doesn't stay in your crew after the rescue mission so, make sure you don't give him any weapons that you can't afford to lose.

o Okay, how did I defeat the "Crashed UFO" mission with the standard weapons? Well, I lost one guy, but in general I used one or two people to fight the fight and the others to heal those exposed to fire. I was probably just lucky. Now I realize that I could have started picking up alien weapons earlier and thrown them into the fray. Of course the time involved in picking things up off the ground makes this a risky business.

o I'm in the U.S. and GameStop has delayed my pre-order yet again, so I greatly envy those of you in and around the great north sea. <grin> I think this is the first time I've downloaded patches for a new game before I actually got the game! <grin>

o The interface is strange to me (having just played most of the way through Fallout Tactics), but I can mostly live with it. I agree on some points I've seen in some of the reviews. Not being able to drag and drop onto the weapon in your hands is inconvenient, but having to reserve some space in the backpack is okay as this is how Apocalypse worked. I'm still getting used to having to wait for time to pass for equipment changes to happen as it is still surprising when I equip something and then return to the battlefield and it looks like the change hasnot occurred. Of course due to the time needed, it really hasn't happened yet. It may be a little too realistic! <grin> Then I remember to unpause the game, take my licks from enemy opportunity fire and continue with the game.

o I think it will be a keeper.

I Downloaded the demo last night, and when i could finally tear myself away from it at 1.30 AM, i went online and ordered the full version.

I must say i'm a bit disapointed in the lack of a strategic element (this is just from what i've read - my order hasn't turned up yet)

But hey, i'm sure i'l be able to live with it, as the tactical missions are such good fun.

I Think i need a word with Koloth though, as i keep getting slaughtered on the downed pilot mission. Nasty fire beetle thingys :devil:

Space Cadet,

One thing you can do is repeat the easy missions a few times to increase your skills if you started with poor character attributes. Also you can restart the demo and the characters will have different stats also.

First thing I do was to change two bases. Make one a reserach base and the other engineering. That will insure you receive more sniper rifle ammo after a day or two. And also more RPG for the launcher.

I use two characters for medium to up-close and personel combat. If their capacity will permit I load them up with shot guns and AKs. The other two characters are the sniper and rocket launcher. Also give them weapons for close range if they can carry that much.

As far as the downed pilot map. I immediately send my sniper to the hill-top at the edge of the map close to the spawn location near the trees. That character alone can take out most of the aliens from a great distance before those nasty fire bettle have a chance to toast your men.

I usually put the Launcher midway down the hill and the other two with AKs (unless you already have the G3s) near the bottom of the slope. I take out all visible creatures before moving on along the maps edge toward the houses. Keeping the sniper in the highest possible vantage point. Using this method you can qucikly move around the map to the downed pilot take the hill top directly above him and slowly advance along the map.... ;)

Works for me everytime even if my given characters are not as strong stats wise. Remember to use the terrain to your advantage and use every possible bit of cover nearby especially when under fire from alien scum.

Cheers.