UFO - Alien Invasion

SparX

Hi

First of all: Happy new year everyone!

About a year ago three guys and me startet to develop the game "UFO - Alien Invasion". It's a round based squad game, strongly inpired by the good old X-COM1. It turned out pretty cool so far and we decided to set up a webpage.

Here is the link:

https://ufo.myexp.de

In about three weeks we will release a first fully playable demo. Hope the old X-Com fans will like it!

Yes, we're all very skeptical around here SparX when it comes to projects in the works, as people say things and then disappear, but yours does look the most promising one I've seen so far :P

As I say, a news post will pop uip when the main page is back on line.

I know the problem. I am asked often if I could make maps for a mod or a game. As far as I know none of these were ever released. :P

However, our team has quite a lot of experience, this is not our first project. I am quite optimistic about UFO - Alien Invasion! :(

Thx for the news-posting!

Yes, the engines are different. Besides, the FPS is one thing and 3D strategy is completely another. I fear DOOM3 perfomance will be a bit degraded even on the hi-end machines, especially with the highest settings. Then, what will be with a strategy game, that generally has more polycount (I think so).

All the engines you are talking about run with OpenGL, right? However, these impressive looking features are mostly OpenGL functions. We could implement them in our engine.

But we think it would not have the desired effect in our game because of the field of view. And it would also kill the performance since a lot of player models are visible at the same time.

I agree, Doom3 really looks cool. :o

you guys, i played a pre alpha version (0.02) of doom 3. i'm telling you, its going to be awesome! it barely ran on the machine, and the thing was souped up so much you couldn't do anything else to it. that was a year ago though so they probably have it all um.....programed? but it was better than any game i was playing at the time. that says alot.....pre alpha....better than any game i played......yep. i think it was the lighting in th engine. you'll find out what i mean when it comes out. :P ok i'm done :(

munkeylord

p.s. don't freak out when an imp jumps out of a dark corner and messes you up. its not worth it

Ha, HL2 will not die even if it come a year after Doom3. Well, I haven't played D3, only seen the screenshots, but it has some flaws. At least, textures look a bit poor. It was said long ago, that id had become an engine-factory which art is not so great. But I'll become silent now and will wait for the release.

To be honest, I think HL2 will have a longer life than D3, purely because of such things as Team Fortress Classic and Counterstrike. I'm not sure Doom 3 is going to appeal to quite as wide an audience.

I know it's the same audience really, but Half Life has always been able to do so much more if ya kno what I mean :P

Indeed. There was something about Half Life that I could relate to. Oh yes, the story. There were humans in it that looked human. Morgan for example wears glasses despite being in the future.

Doom's plots (there were plots?) always seemed to involve getting through the next door and shooting more bad guys. I doubt Doom 3 will have a vastly in-depth storyline, whereas Half Life 2... well we know what to expect :P