UFO Fanfiction Discussion

Carlos the Jackal

But a belt of 20mm rounds, how hard would that be to carry? My mental picture of the autocannon is that a cartridge of 14 rounds must weigh a pound or so, so you'd use it only on single-shot or 3-shot burst mode to save using up all that heavy ammo. Kind of like .50 cal sniper rounds, but heavier.

Alternatively, if the bullets were smaller, there could be more of them per shot... each "shot" as animated in the game is actually the shortest burst the operator can manage?

'Scuse me. I'll go read the new posts now and find out how far behind I am again.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind, either way JFG. It's just we've got the damn thing being described as a rapid-fire support weapon, but it's only got a 12/14 round clip. It just doesn't work. If we get BB to go back and edit it, then that'd be fine, or if he edited the ammo capactity, wherever it's mentioned, that's fine. Looking back, I wrote it as a man-portable minigun, albeit it firing at a much slower rate.

Good to see you again, BTW. :(

I dunno, but I think that's borderline superheroing. At the very least, Fitz will be damn pissed that Hankosha is going lone ranger.

Well, I'm probably going to edit it anywayss. I'm also going to try and do a post on the aliens' perspective, and am wonderig whether that is feasable. Have to go back and reread one of my old posts though...

Edit - Redid the last part of the post.

Speaking of such things...

Should we make some sort of list of who gets the chop?

At the moment, the statuses are:

Fitz - Lightly flesh wound. Probably not hearing much in that ear.

Brute - Blood smeared all over the pavement, but he hasn't had a proper 200 TU panic attack yet, so I suppose he has furthar to go, even if his cannon is wrecked.

Phil - No injuries.

Hankosha - No injuries.

Brick - Off duty.

Sandy - No injuries.

Goldie - KIA

Deet - No injuries.

Jasper - No injuries.

Frankie - Panicking.

Duchante - Heavily injured, out of combat.

That's one killed, one injured and out of combat, and two light injuries.

Ok. We can't kill Hankosha (personal character), Sandy ('cause he's part of a sub-plot with Poison, but I suppose we could kill him anyways if need be), Fitz (because... um... because... I'll come up with something :( ) or Jasper (personal character).

That leaves Phil, Deet, Brute, and Frankie. Brute is gonna go anyway, leaving us three peeps to decide on.

Phil could be quite fun to mess with. Perhaps Rubenstien could come and get him.

In other news, it's common practise (at least in the missions thus far) to send another squad after the main one, in a slower transport known as the Osprey. Usually they arrive after the main combats done, to help clean up, hunt down equipment, etc.

Some VERY quick notes which I will be turning into a post from Genega's perspective AFTER the fighting stops. But whoever writes in the Osprey arrival, maybe it could play out like this.

I assume this slaughter ends when Jasper & Hank drag a unconcious Gaston to the Ranger and retreat, and Fitz throws himself aboard from the nearest rooftop.

plot points

terror ship GONE after 3squad retreats and 1squad arrives in Osprey

they were looking to wipe us out

they had two encounters in which to analyze our deployment and troop size (10 per 'Ranger)

we have to assume they got some communication off

they were waiting with soldiers and tanks to ensure we were outgunned.

they probably think they taught us a lesson.

The lesson is: we're going back in. With better arms and armor.

Another thing to consider will be the meeting of the X-COM council and funding. It'd be interesting to see how this incident get used. Will it be a 'X-COM can't protect us' scenario or a 'The aliens truly are brutal. X-COM needs more funding and more bases of operaiton to protect us fully.'

The lesson is: we're going back in. With better arms and armor

Er, what better arms and armor?

We don't yet, but isn't a breakthrough for the laser pistols imminent?

Yeah, but it doubt it's going to occur in time for the osprey to turn around, rearm team one with them, and head back to the terror site. Unless I'm misunderstanding what JFG meant.

I armed Frankie with a pistol in my post (on the basis that he's a scout ), but I figured it was easier to change a couple of words in my post then a whole bunch in yours, so, not a problem. :(

That's the first documented civilian casualty. At least he won't complain about that little rampage incedent to the authorities. :(

I assume this slaughter ends when Jasper & Hank drag a unconcious Gaston to the Ranger and retreat, and Fitz throws himself aboard from the nearest rooftop.

And Sandy...

That's the first documented civilian casualty. At least he won't complain about that little rampage incedent to the authorities.

Speaking of the authorities, I would assume that the local police and military forces are cordoning off the area to contain the aliens, right?

I can imagine it. You get up in the morning, and as far as you know, aliens are a myth. Later that day, you're roping off the area of an active assault...

That any different than believing the same thing one day, and then the next day finding yourself part of an international organization aimed towards fighting aliens?

Ah, but the X-Com recruits spent a fair while sitting around the base before they saw action.

The guy down at the cop shop would have just picked up the phone...

Civ: "Uuh. Um. We're under attack by alien invaders. Um. Help?"

Cop: "Look, you do know it is an offense to prank call the police, and that we can trace this call?"

*plasma fire is heard*

Cop: "Hello?"

Scratch my comment about first dead civilian before. Hank found one earlier.

Hrm. If X-Com is going to maintain any real secrecy concerning the aliens, they need to collect the stuff at that terror site. I reckon when squad 1 arrives, the aliens would have taken off, taking any of their own corpses/tech with them.

But do you reckon they would take the human corpses as well? One thing to remember there is that they might be in a hurry to leave as well, knowing soldiers are roming around.

Vet said the mission was in an asian sector, I've put it down as china. As for conditions, I figured late evening. (The time the soldiers left the base doesn't really matter, call it time zones. :( ).

Hrm. If X-Com is going to maintain any real secrecy concerning the aliens, they need to collect the stuff at that terror site. I reckon when squad 1 arrives, the aliens would have taken off, taking any of their own corpses/tech with them.

The problem is going to be with trafic light video cameras, live broadcast webcams and reporters surviving the chaos. Let's face it, they're attacking a major city. Keeping this secret is going to be virtually impossible.

Ok, X-Com can be considered public knowledge as of the end of this mission. The base locations and operations remain top secret, of course.

Phil and Brute have yet to die. Deet may be dead, I left that up in the air.

I figure Fitz sends Jasper back to look after Hankosha/Deet, and continues with Phil and Sandy. Brute can either come back and attack the squad, or just wonder off and get killed by aliens, or just bleed to death, or... something.

Once Phil/Deet goes, Jasper and Hank can get Gaston to the (returned) SkyRanger. Then Sandy and Fitz can make their own way back. (I rather like the idea of jumping off the rooftops into the carrier. :( )

That could work. I suppose it's more the existance of the aliens that has become obvious, as opposed to X-Com - they could be passed off as any army troops. However, some observers in-the-know might comment on their uniforms and tech.

Um, what happened to our HWP? :(

However, some observers in-the-know might comment on their uniforms and tech

In the old X-COM play-by-post game I used to run before my university schedule forced me to stop, one of the command positions I had was intelligence and public relations officer. His job was mainly, at the start, to provide research into alien activity and their operations, trying to locate alien bases and their spies, etc., but the idea was that when the knowledge of aliens became public, he would be X-COM's face to the public.

Hrm... Now that's a good idea. We need a PR guy.

Wonder if we should give him a 'flashy thingy'?

B) : Check this out...

*flash!*

B) : This did not happen. There was a weather baloon...

But seriously, a guy to send out to explain things away is a really good idea. Presuming that's what you meant; you didn't mean he went on TV or anything to make statements, did you? :(

If any of you see a problem with my newest post, tell me. However, the reason i missed was because Rocket launchers are damn heavy, and are REALLY hard to aim by a lightly muscled guy like my char. Pity poor Frankie though. I got there too late. In other words, the Disc chasing after me is the same one that killed Frankie.

Yeah. the Disc is going to shoot a hole in the wall and attempt to shoot us to death, or cause the building to collapse. Hmmm... being dug out of a building will not be fun.