UFO Fanfiction Discussion

Carlos the Jackal

Yup, it's a bit heavy handed

Much like '92 LA riots were a case of some civil disobedience.

but the target was actually another populated Chinese settlement

The UN will love this.

getme wrong it was small and as empty as possible but as far as the conscious world is aware the events of the last two days were now nothing more than an unprovoked terrorist attack.

Except for the UN, who will immediately dissolve X-COM. You're forgetting that X-COM, as a UN controlled organization has to, at all times, uphold the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which is the core of all UN policy. We just violated everything X-COM is supposed to stand for.

I suggest it would be a good idea to have a few characters know this as possible.

Our characters aren't stupid. They're the best and the brighest. They can put two and two together and come up with four.

Genega is sufering a guilt trip that's not going to go away anytime soon and the Chinese government is almost certainly going to cease funding I would imagine...

Just the Chinese government? Every nation in the world will drop funding after this event. You think they want that happening to them? No way in hell are they going to continue to support an organization like that.

And Rocio Lee, instead of joing X-COM as I had originally thought, is now going to be putting several bullets into Genega's chest at the next council meeting on the orders of her government. Thanks for screwing over my new character idea.

The terror attack should have brought the world governments together in their resolve to fight the aliens. Instead, you've turned X-COM into some sort of illuminati that will rub out any number of innocent lives to maintain its secrecy, and turned the world against us.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Vet, I gotta say that's one heck of a post. The writing - great. And brave, no doubt.

However, I'm going to have to side with Zager on this one. XCOM's funding is going to dissolve entirely. The people on top know what's going on, and who's going to fund an organization that nukes a city right after the aliens? Remember, from the viewpoint of the county leaders, there's only been one terror site in the entire world. Based on what's happened, it appears XCOM will regularly annhialate all terror sites in order to cover up evidence.

Unless you want XCOM to suddenly go independent and live entirely off of selling bodies and laser cannons, we're looking at some major ret-conning.

Unless you want XCOM to go independent. Which is possible, if you want

Let's be honest, how long would we last if we did? We'd be target numero uno for every government in the world. We'd lose half to three quarters of our personnel when their governments recall them.

Yes. That's why I'd prefer we did not. It would make things very complicated and difficult to pull off comprehensibly. It is an option though, if you really want to write a different sort of fanfic.

Which I don't. Which I don't think anyone does, but I haven't heard everyone's opinion.

EDIT -- I cannot believe I forgot to say this. XCOM just isn't going to lose its funding. It has proven to be a danger to neutral countries. The UN is going to go to war with XCOM.

No independence isn't an option... So therefore wanton nuking is also not much of an opton...

I'd guess to dig myself out of a hole, all I can suggest is that this was less of Genega's doing and more of the UN's. The target could instead be a small underfunded Chinese military establishment. The Chinese government is going to be facing all sorts of conspiracy theories from the press and let's be honest, noone wants that! I would imagine they'd be more than happy to accept vast sums of compensation in order to quell any extraterrestrial notions and sacrifice a base that they can't affor and aren't using...

I'm kind of in the doghouse with this one and I've kind of brought you guys with me as I'm on my way back to Wales soon so I can't say much more on the matter until I'm back in two weeks!

That would be my personal rectification of the fault though. A government conspiracy to take attention away from little grey men and flying saucers... I think it's believable enough after an edit. Tht'll take two weeks to come through but in the mean time all I can say is carry on however you like! If you guys want to make the edit in the mean time go for it, or just make the decision and carry on the writing with it in place. I could still do the edit myself when I get back.

If it's too suicidal then by all means give it the axe but just like it is with everyone's rash posts try and make it a last resort! Hope I don't give you too many headaches in the weeks to come!

See you soon guys, TJ

Uh... back to the "antimatter" guns...

Fired continuosly for several days? To me, that is a serious streach of my suspension of disbelief. Several hours, I could accept. Heck, you could get away with half an hour of continuous firing, since you never fire continously anyways. But if you could fire for several days, then screw using the power for just guns! You could power cities with these packs! Make a bomb that releases all that energy at once!

Anyways...

I was under the impression that the cell used to power the 'lasers' was one of

Dr. Zager's amazing (patented) biocells!
All the antiparticles would be generated when the beam is fired, not before.

For the shot reacting with air; that's why you can see the beam in the first place. The first antiparticles fired would hit air, of course. The air probably turns into plasma or gets completely turned into energy. This leaves a path for the next antiparticles to travel, and so forth. It doesn't make a mega-explosion when it leaves.

As for radiation... uh...

Maybe the radiation produced by the zapping of air and sectoid isn't lethal, or there is no harmful radiation produced?

Hey! Idea! What if the 'laser' fired antiphotons? Then it would sorta still be a laser, right?

And back to da nuking: I don't really know what to add, except that I agree that X-COM ordered nuking of a city is a Bad Thing™. It just doesn't seem to make sense.

I trust you guys can find a way to fix this up.

I'd guess to dig myself out of a hole, all I can suggest is that this was less of Genega's doing and more of the UN's

That's even less credible. The UN would never do anything like that. It goes against everything they stand for.

The Chinese government is going to be facing all sorts of conspiracy theories from the press

China doesn't exactly have freedom of speech. They can easily hush the whole incident up, and keep the outside world from finding out anything.

If it's too suicidal then by all means give it the axe but just like it is with everyone's rash posts try and make it a last resort! Hope I don't give you too many headaches in the weeks to come!

I say give it the axe. X-COM should restrict itself to military action against only the extraterrestrials. Let local governments handle the coverups.

FullAuto! Long time no see!

Ah well, you know, I think it's a 'My work here is done' sort of scenario. With help, the fanfic has been defibrillated back to life, and I can retire to lurking in the shadows and correcting bad grammar wherever I find it. If it stutters again, I'll lend a hand, but you chaps seem to be doing rather well. :(

Hey you guys! I'm back a little early, I have internet access this week. Glad you sorted the post out without me and the new posts are looking like a hot little number too! Can't post now because it's not at a pause but I'll try and slip one in when an opportunity presents itself!