2nd XO.

Loonie

Okay, now currently the thing is like this. We can complain all about how the sim is going slow and how we would like to get more attendance and better simmers,....ect., but bottom line is that it won't solve anything. :hmmm:

Therefore in the hopes of making this thing move fowards a bit more, I've decided to apply for an, as of yet, unopened second spot as an XO. This does not, repeat, NOT make me entitled to the Colonel rank or even that I will be marked as an XO or that I would even like to run the sims! The only thing that I would do is have moderator privileges to the XCAS site and edit it appropriately. Why?

It has a lack of any major updates for some 4 months now and because I recognize that Mouse has to work on the new XCAS site and also has other important things to do, I might as well sort out and arrange all the information here until he finishes. The reason behind this is that there are a lot of people (including me) who have donated pictures, descriptions, written up new techs,... but they are not posted because it will all have to be re-done on the new XCAS site. This is perfectly logical, but whilst you are working on the new site, the simmers do not know anything about the new developments that have been researched and therefore cannot use them AND research itself is at a standstill. This might seem OK since we don't want to accumulate knowledge too fast, but research itself is one of the things that bolsters XCAS presence, believe it or not.

It isn't just research either. General attendance rates are almost automatically higher if something is being changed on our site. I have noted this well and have no doubt about it, so it would also bolster attendance rates. Perhaps if you manage to make it to a sim or two, it would be even better so as to help you and Brain in the evaluation of the simmers that you have proposed.

Now that I come back to the title, I wouldn't be a REAL XO. But I believe it would still be crucial. DH can of course edit the site, but the thing is that he doesn't have the time to do a massive change (hope I'm guessing right, if not then correct me). I don't know about the others so if anyone else would like to edit the site instead of me, simply shout out in this forum, though by edit I mean a big one!

So that's basically it. :dontgetit: It is up to you to decide wether or not I can edit this site obviously and you can give me any instructions on what to do or not to do and I will follow them. Simply catch me on ICQ or mail me and we'll talk about it in more detail.

God's speed.

Loonie

That would be nice. I'd also imply, but i don't know an ounce of HTML :blink:

But yes, we NEED UPDATES! Thee only real updates thus far have been the roster updates.

Oh, and speaking of research, we havent voted for techs in a while, have we? Actually, thats due to the lack of 'real' missions, which we rarely have. But then again, thats because mouse hasnt shown up much (dont worry, i understand).

Sure, why not? If Loonie wants to update the site, I see no practical reason why not.

However, the only thing is that the password and domain give you access to things OTHER than XCAS, and I'm not sure Pete would be comfortable with the username and password floating around. I've never actually tried, but I'm assuming other things can be changed.

What I do not see is attendance rates going up due to website updates. Sure, I'll check the site more often, but it's not my interest that is waning, it's my time.

As a note, the XO position is for people who have heavy control over the direction the sim would be going, and that would not be you or I.

Well you're right about Pete's concerns. I'll have to either relay it to him through Mouse or talk to him myself.

What I do not see is attendance rates going up due to website updates. Sure, I'll check the site more often, but it's not my interest that is waning, it's my time.

I know that it's your time that's why I mentioned it before. But the trick is that most people have the time and not interest. And attendance rates not going up even with updates? DH, IonMage has just been the first to admit that he would like it to be more updated and despite the fact that he shows up whenever he can, the fact that the site is practically without any other updates except Roster ones sure as hell isn't encouraging to him or any other person. You might not be affected by frequent updates on the site, but I assure you that at least 70% of our simmers are.

And I know I wouldn't be a real XO. As I said in my first post I wouldn't really be one, just the site updater hopefully.

Anyways I await Mouses and Brain's reply. :dontgetit:

Actually, i AM losing interest. There have been 2 cases in which i intentionally dropped out. Actually, te first was the weather dropping me out, but i was actually glad it did. The other i just -dropped- intentionally. Website updates would do a MUCH better job making me look forward to simming. I remember my first few sims had briefings up days in advance. DAYS. And i would look forward to the mission, because these ahead-of-time briefings made the missions sound a lot less 'on demand' and 'improvised' than our most recent ones. It actually built tension.

Also, new researches made the sim much more enjoyable. I see our current techs are now done, like the earth date one which is BEGGING FOR AN UPDATE. So can we PLEASE vote next sim? DH can do an official sim, and be an official GM, cant he (correct me if im wrong)?

I remember how nice it was when jacko first field-tested his new sniper rifle. That was awesome, and i wasnt even using it!

Final diagnosis: Updates are one of the many elements of the lifeblood of the sim. If you dont get enough, the sim goes into a coma.

Current sim status: Coma

Edit: One more thing to point out; the lack of research updates has resulted in a lack of posts in the R&D RP thread. Havent had one for 12 days!

Actually it's done quite a lot of depriving things to ALL roleplay forums, but what the heck...

A note so that DH doesn't have to respond. The fact why he can't do an official sim is because:

a) He might not be informed on the whole scheme of things in XCAS

B) He is currently bogged down with RL stuff so it is pretty much impossible for him to attend right now (check the last entry in the Absence board if you don't believe me)

In any event yes. Out of the coma and into activity. And if Mouse and DH are too bogged down with work and Brain has whatever things are preventing him from doing it, then someone else has to. I know that before I came into the sim there were looong periods of inactivity at times. I might as well see if they can be avoided.

The show must go on...

Even thought no one asked my opinion, I'm going to crash this topic anyway, HAH! :)

Alright just joking. Anyway, Loonie you have my support for leading the sims since I feel that you're doing a good job (better than me :) ). Now I'm technically an experienced simmer but I simply do not have the skills for GMing because of two reasons. One, I'm practising a lot but typing creative and witty things in a timely manner is still a problem for me which explains why I'm very slow in responding to posts. :blink: Two, ever since the Daylight Saving changes fiasco, sims now start at 3 AM at my place so I'm trying my best here. (I'm in danger of waking up with QWERTY printed on my face :) ) That's why I volunteered to demote so someone can do a better job. So if Loonie or anyone else for that matter wants to try their hand on GMing, go right ahead.

P.S. I'm an awful crittic so beware of making illogical situations. :devil:

Hehe. Yes QWERTY is a danger. :blink:

But anyway as far as GMing is considered, it depends. I didn't want to draw this conclusion on my own, but it seems that some of you get the impression that I'm pretty good at it. So I guess I am. Now I will hopefully still be practicing GMing whenever possible, but of course that isn't the only issue here. The issue is also wether Mouse and Brain will be able to make it to sims in such a manner that there won't be an absence of one or the other for more than one week (any more than that and then my updating the site could get rather slow, since I won't have any material to update the site with.) This means it could work in theory like this:

1st week: Mouse

2nd week: Brain

3rd week: nothing (i.e. me or anyone else practices GMing)

4th week Mouse

If this worked than it wouldn't be that troublesome and hopefully it can, though the thing is that if they can't find the time to even make it like that, then there is a slowly rising question of wether or not they would let me in on the entire XCAS story that they have planned. Now that's the part I would like to avoid, since it is currently their sim. I hope that they won't have to make it mine as well, since I would know all of the secrets as to what is going to happen, what are the next tech researches,...and that would spoil the fun for me.

So I won't ask to know about the sim and currently I don't really think anything warrants that. Though if they become too busy so that their absenteeism grows to something like 3 weeks of inactivity, then I'm so sorry but if you want to keep some interest in the sim someone will have to preform your plan more regularly than just once every 4 weeks. May it be DH (though he's most likely just as busy as either one of you two), may it be Ghost or even me (but God don't let that happen! :)).

That's more or less the thing with GMing. I will GM whenever possible, but wether I will GM Mouses and Brain's plan, that I hope I do not. But if neccessary.....well, once again as I said...the show must go on.

Heres an idea, that lets people practice GMing, let serious missions happen, and solve mouse and brain absent-ness!

Heres how it works; you ready for this mouse, brain? And if XO'd, loonie?

Bascially, if you expect you might not make it too the sim on sunday, then IM the other two of you (so if mouse thinks he'll be late, IM brain and loonie, et cetera), and check if they can make it.

If they cannot, update the site briefing if possible. Even if it is robust, we get a briefing ahead of time, which has the added effect of adding tension to the up and coming sim.

Now, IM some other person, and post on the forums who is the designated GM of the week. via IM, tell the designated GM the story OF THE MISSION, and NOT THE WHOLE STORY, and he can make things work from there.

Note that before we let people GM on sunday sims, they will need some experience GMing on saturday, to avoid poorly-GMed fiascos

And if such a fiasco arrives, we can just 'roll-back' and pretend the mission never happened. but such a roll-back may cause problems with the plot, but we could just make another mission in which said element of the plot happens, right?

Such GM has most of the powers of an XO GM, but not all. he cannot, for example, introduce an entire new faction into the story, nor can he kill off the entire squad, or ANYONE, for that matter, unless given permission to DIRECTLY. When he is doing a saturday sim, he must keep within the guidelines of the unfolding story!

Rate my idea from one to ten please.

P.S. When i say IM, i mean ICQ! ICQ ICQ ICQ! We havent been using this enough! It can send messages to people that are offline! A message containing 'you are the designated GM' and the mission story wouldn't be too bad, now would it?

It is a good plan in theory, though what has to be guaranteed is that everyone sticks to his word. If someone is designated as a GM then he turns up. Rule! :hmmm:

That is also a bit of a problem since for Mouse and Brain and anyone else that might be leading the sim this will now turn into an obligation. Meaning that we might feel it too much as such and thereby lose the fun too. Though that's just a speculation.

Being informed about only the story is good, though of course Mouse must give specific direction as to what to do and what not to do. Also the new techs can only be made up by Mouse or Brain.

But anyway it could be worth a thought. Guys? (surprisingly I would have thought Mouse and Brain would've responded to this, but if they're busy okay.)

Regarding the story, thats what i meant. He would tell the story of the mission, and anything that should unfold during the mission to designated GM AFTER the GM agrees to be a GM. Only after getting a solid 'yes'.

Also, the GM wouldn't be allowed to make up new techs. Heck, he wont even be allowed to take votes after each mission. RATHER, after each mission, and by after i mean posssibly a day or a few after, we could just ICQ our votes to mouse or brain.

The reason he wont even take votes is because he could easily fraud them when he sent the results to mouse/brain. Catch my drift? If we each ICQ the votes individually its much safer.

Hey, one of the recommendations to the sim was ICQ to begin with, we could use it more efficiently if we had other things to talk about besides debates that happen over the boards anyways!

As for whether the GM attends or not, he has to reply to mouse/brain confirming he is free to GM. No details on the mission are disclosed prior to that. Only after GM acceptance.

If GM does not appear at his designated sim AFTER accepting, he will be reprimanded, and not allowed to play when the mission actually happens, since he knew of what happens

In other words, suppose i am designated GM on a base defense mission. I accept, but fail to come on sunday. Next week, Loonie is designated GM, and both of us arrive. I will not be allowed to play (observe at best) and will be muted right away, since i now knoe whats happening on the mission loonie's GMing.

If attendance is a problem, the designated GM is not reprimanded in any way, and if possible will be allowed to try again next week.

And hey, at least we'll have better chances of the sim happening with this system active :blink:

Well we would see. Though I don't think there is a base on the fact that anyone would fake the votes. I think that practically all of us here are grown up enough so as not to cheat so votes could be taken. :blink:

But anyway me and IonMage have been going on about this incessantly. C'mon guys! The rest of you reply already! Especially the CO and XO (whatever might be keeping them away from the forums).

Right, some ideas:

1. IonMage, 8.5. There are a lot of good ideas, I'm not sure of practicality... I think it need not be so complicated. Voting, I agree totally, no need to do it in sim. Punishment, inconsequential, it probably won't make much difference. Choosing a GM, sure, it'd be nice to have an official policy to fall back on, but I'm not sure how advantageous it would be. I don't agree with rollback at all, but then again, if I didn't accept the possibility, then people might GM all sorts of weird crap. I hesitate to mention the armpits... :blink:

2. I am NOT cleared to run "official" sims. Nor do I care. I'm not sure where the perception came from, but this is my situation as far as I see it.

3. Another idea that was suggested was splitting up the sim, in a way. That would allow each section/team to focus on their own things... Not sure whether this would be much of an advantage though. I personally doubt its necessity, and I don't doubt the negative effects it would have on the sim. If it is deemed necessary though, we will do it.

4. You buggers, this is all in the space of a day. Patience, young Padawan Loonie. :)

5. Death to QWERTY. Long live Dvorak!

Right, I know I wanted to talk about something else too, but I can't remember it. :) Anyway, right, if I remember it, I'll let you all know.

Yes Dragon Master. :)

Hehe. If I remember correctly this isn't the first time you forgot something to mention. But it's okay. That tends to happen with old age. :)

Okay, I am patiently waiting for other people to reply then.

::puts himself into a meditative position:: :blink:

Anyone is free to help with the site, but it's not mine to give. You need to ask Pete for access into the server.

Schoolwork is taking up an ever increasing part of my time. My GCSEs are now only 8 weeks away, and I'm a bit pushed with coursework and whatnot (Spent yesterday doing 2 1500 word essays), so as you can see, I'm a tad busy.

hey, you know im ok with HTML as well! but then and again, im only in year 9 and pete might not trust me..... :blink:

oh yea, my friend and i created a site for school. we're goin to the city for 3 weeks to do stuff and we made a https://www.oxleycitycite.i-p.com' target='_blank'>site, updated daily, for the parents. BTW, we havn't gone yet so it just has pages telling the students what do to on those pages.

• 2 weeks later...
Well recently the proverb: "If you want something done do it yourself." is holding out true. Though I know that this is NOT due to you guys being Lazyus Maximuses, the show must go on, so instead of whining to you guys I might as well actually DO something about it. :dontgetit:

• 2 months later...