Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux

Nookrium

Woah, very nice. Are those doors I see? wink.png

Yes. On this map the Mudranger is being used as the exit area but it is also possible to use it as a standard XCom craft for deployment. I'd love to combine the Mudranger with something like this though:

https://www.modelermagic.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/DSC06517-500x210.jpg

Go for it. And if you want to make any cosmetic changes to it, by all means make them. And sorry Nook, there are doors at the back but they don't technically work. wink.png

I did envisage it being paired up with some sort of air transport like Thunderbird 2 or a C&C/Dune 2 Carryall that ferries it to and from the battlefield.

- NKF

Go for it. And if you want to make any cosmetic changes to it, by all means make them. And sorry Nook, there are doors at the back but they don't technically work. wink.png

I did envisage it being paired up with some sort of air transport like Thunderbird 2 or a C&C/Dune 2 Carryall that ferries it to and from the battlefield.

- NKF

I'm not going to try to get it a dropship at this point but I'll surely use it for some special missions.

I feel like this is a broken record, but let me try to set you straight. I just watched the "Andes Atrocities" (episode 90) where you lost your base in SA and have a few points.

• Your soldiers need armor - badly. Unarmored meatshieds can't effectively protect a base much less shoot straight. At least give them a fighting chance with Power Suits. Yes, it takes Elerium. But look at all those ships you just blew away because you "had enough".
  • Give them decent weapons. You had plenty of time to kit everyone there at your SA base with Heavy Plasmas, so why are folks still walking around with Plasma Rifles and Rocket Launchers? Those are antiquated by now and will not deal with the elite aliens.
  • Your whole point of building a Plasma Hovertank was that you were going to have your soldiers nuke the hangars with Blaster Bombs first round and use the Plasma tank to scout. So, where were the Blaster Launchers and bombs?
  • Lot of good that Plasma Tank did. It killed 2 aliens maybe. Think of the destruction you could have inflicted with just one Fusion Hovertank! You may have actually been able to fend off the attack successfully.
  • Why a rookie-only squad? Get a couple officers in each base for some experience.
  • Every base should have a Mind Shield, which is even more important if the base has interceptors. That's nonnegotiable.

Yes, I realize you are focused on endgame now, but that's not a reason to ignore your bases completely. Make sure all bases have the latest and most powerful weapons, armor, tanks, soldiers and defensive facilities available. You need to protect what you built.

I'm sorry to be harsh here, but your theory of "soldiers have the blasters and plasma hovertank to scout" doesn't hold water when all your soldiers are greenhorns and there is psi involved. The Fusion Hovertanks are the only way to keep that power on your side. wink.png

- Zombie

Never underestimate my ability to ignore sound advice ;)

I knew I was going to hear it about #90 from Zombie, I think an "I told you so" is appropriate. I got caught up in the end game I stopped putting any attention into my side bases, which should have had a mind shield a long time ago...

I'm sorry I haven't been posting the videos in here, I didn't want to get too spammy since I started posted nearly every day. If anyone wants me to start putting them all in here just let me know.

This went better than I expected it would (maybe you agree)? You got really lucky the Floater Commander panicked, dropped his gun and was standing in the middle of a lift. That's like taking candy from a baby right there. smile.png

Not sure what's up with the mixed crew when the game said it was a Floater Battleship. But taking out the Cyberdisc to take out the Reaper was classic! (By the way, Reapers don't have any particular resistances to Plasma weapons, it's just that they have a ton of hitpoints which makes killing them a little difficult). My guess while watching the video was that the primary crew was Floaters and the Sectoids+Cyberdiscs were substitutes for some ranks, so I would have only focused on the stunning Floaters.

You need more Mind Probes (and men!) if you want to do stunning missions like this. At the bare minimum I'd say 3 soldiers with Mind Probes is necessary and 4 preferable. You don't need to dedicate these soldiers to just this task, but I wouldn't move any of them until I probed what I needed to, and only then at the end of a turn.

There were a couple times early in the mission where there were groups of aliens present. Not sure why you didn't Blaster Bomb them or at least toss an alien grenade on them, but I always take advantage of dumb AI clumping aliens together with explosives. Not only is it satisfying, but you also can kill multiple aliens with the minimum amount of TU expenditure by your men. Plus it helps lower their morale fast.

Using Blasters to open a hole in the roof of the Battleship is nothing new strategy-wise, but I liked your thought process while you did it (even though it wouldn't be what I'd do). Personally, I'd opt to punch a hole directly above each of the command rooms, then blindly send 2 stun bombs inside each one on that round. Repeat the next round. For rounds after that, drop down with stun rods and clean out the stragglers manually. Of course, that requires 4 men with Small Launchers and Flying Suits - a luxury you didn't have.yes.gif

Still don't understand the suicide alien blaster bombers though. The aliens were never this dumb in the original game. wink.png

- Zombie

There were a couple times early in the mission where there were groups of aliens present. Not sure why you didn't Blaster Bomb them or at least toss an alien grenade on them,

Still don't understand the suicide alien blaster bombers though. The aliens were never this dumb in the original game. wink.png

I wanted to be really careful with the blasters so I didn't catch a commander in the blast. A floater (& Sectoid) mission is probably about the best possible scenario to grab one and I didn't want to squander it with a stray bomb.

I don't get the suicidal blaster launchers either, I thought one of the things OpenXcom fixed was the alien inability to use blasters properly. I'd say if anything it's actually worse than the original.

Here's the next part, just an easy elerium cleanup while we wait for the research. We end with something quite interesting though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ktbi84re3w

Theoretically OpenXcom should use the same psi formulas as the originals as they are working off a lot of reverse engineered information. It's most likely the boosted psi stats that are causing you the most grief.

For psi defence, 1/5 of your psi skills is added to your overall defence. It doesn't seem like much, but from what I've seen of this mod so far, every bit counts.

- NKF

Theoretically OpenXcom should use the same psi formulas as the originals as they are working off a lot of reverse engineered information. It's most likely the boosted psi stats that are causing you the most grief.

For psi defence, 1/5 of your psi skills is added to your overall defence. It doesn't seem like much, but from what I've seen of this mod so far, every bit counts.

- NKF

And OXC follows the original formulas, I just wasn't aware that Psi Strength is also a factor when calculating Psi Attacks as you described. On version 0.7 this has been corrected to reduce the impact of Psi Attacks and make them more akin to the original.

The MJ12 missions were removed for version 0.7 and their assets recycled, due to a number of issues and watching this video made glad I took the decision because things were not exactly supposed to work this way. Oh well.