Let's Play X-Com: Terror from the Deep

Nookrium

Most of the deaths were from the unarmoured rookies. Par for the course, really. ;) The poor sap in the Ion Armour just got caught out by the suits weak spot. Speaking of which, if you are advancing troops to the front and you can float off the ground, it may be a good idea to do so to keep them safe from grenades.

That failed shok bomb that Space Harrier fired puzzles me. It did not explode but at the same time did not appear to fly off the map. I wonder what happened there?

- NKF

Most of the deaths were from the unarmoured rookies. Par for the course, really. wink.png

Consistency is the key right?

That was more to the daily update than the amount of deaths in last video wink.png

Those Alien bases are high on the agenda, so I'm sure many more deaths are sure to come...

Am I making a comeback? Ever?

I don't want to spoil the surprise, but I hear you may in good enough health for the next mission ;)

1. Why didn't you start building transmission resolver? It's a long build and this is so useful to know if UFO will land or not. And the equivalent is Hyperwave Decoder and radars/sonars will be obsolete.

2. I generally have 3 workshops because building that Leviathan will take lot of time.

3. I see you have 3 labs in HQ. No need more than 2. 100 scientists is more than enough. Sack 4 of them and demolish the unused lab. Replace it with workshop.

4. You should have tried caching that supply ship. I never found aliens using DPLs on those.

5. On night missions you shouldn't waste shots on the tanks. It's better to mark targets and use soldiers - at least on early turns, where aliens surround you.

A transmission resolver is under construction at the main base, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. The other bases could do with them, but since the month ended with negative funds, I think they can wait a bit until the funds are up a bit.

I would agree that you don't need that many scientists at this stage in the game. Most of the important research is done, and what's left is starting to diminish. Extra engineers would be more useful. It might be a good idea to make more workshops and living space in PacMan and shift all the engineers there. That way they can all collaborate on the same project at once and you won't get as many wasted engineer slots with all the work space requirements.

4. You should have tried caching that supply ship. I never found aliens using DPLs on those.

There are. At least, there are on Superhuman. I think the game devs were aware of the potential for supply ship piracy, so threw the DPLs in to make them more of a challenge. To look on the bright side, this makes them a good source of free DPLs!

- NKF

I'm not sure why I put an extra lab in there tbh, I might have built it back when I was in need of armor but now that I'm all set it is a bit of a waste.

I wasn't even thinking about grabbing that Supply Ship, I forgot that I can take them now since I have Oscillators. I was thinking my Triton wouldn't make it in time... whoops

The issue about DPL and lifts are only for those lifts in alien colonies. Those in artifact site are perfectly usable.

Tanks are not invulnerable to Tentaculats, but they are extremely hard to kill by them, so you can't go gun-ho against them. Even Lobster pincer attack can kill tank.

So I can fire through the lifts with a DPL? When I tried shooting through one with a cannon before on a Medium USO it wouldn't allow it, I was only able to throw a grenade.

The tank seemed to handle the Tentaculat just fine, even if it can eventually get a lucky high damage hit it still saved some lives there and seems like it works pretty well as bait.

A transmission resolver is under construction at the main base, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. The other bases could do with them, but since the month ended with negative funds, I think they can wait a bit until the funds are up a bit.

1. Why didn't you start building transmission resolver? It's a long build and this is so useful to know if UFO will land or not. And the equivalent is Hyperwave Decoder and radars/sonars will be obsolete.

All the activity has been pretty focused around North America. Since money is a bit tight I'll have to hold off a bit for the other two, but I plan on hitting some bases this month so hopefully I'll be able to grow the bank account before September (assuming those bases go reasonably well of course ;) )

So I can fire through the lifts with a DPL? When I tried shooting through one with a cannon before on a Medium USO it wouldn't allow it, I was only able to throw a grenade.

The tank seemed to handle the Tentaculat just fine, even if it can eventually get a lucky high damage hit it still saved some lives there and seems like it works pretty well as bait.

Different rules for LoF.

Yes tanks can handle Tentaculats, but charging them blindly to their nesting ground like a lunatic, may result in big disappointment.

Some friendly Tentaculats there... I was holding my breath while it was hovering around...

Sorry for the late reaction fire, the months in the infirmary did not help with my training. Still, I did what I could once I finally pulled the trigger. wink.png

I laughed at the "I can't believe he is still alive."!

Also, I was really hoping for that Commander's post... :D

A bit of a bittersweet win there, but it should be a good injection to your coffers and all nearby countries will be pleased this month. I'd probably have DPL'd the synomium device on the second part and legged it as you won the loot on the first part. But I guess perseverance paid off.

Also you got some great use out of the Displacer. It'll be a solid addition to the team.

Also, I was really hoping for that Commander's post... grin.gif

Yeah, I might get his promotion if the Tentaculat I bribed would do its job, dammit! https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/evil4.gif

But you're Captain. You already outrank everyone else! ;)

- NKF

Now we should see 4 colony missions one by one. With so many resources (mostly alloys) you will be swimming in cash.

My advice - load game off camera lunch practice mission on one of the colonies. Remember the layout so you can on first turn unleash devastating blow with DPLs on the main center.

You will need to launch one to make a hole - don't fool around with blowing the ceiling. Just make a hole in the wall.

Launch at least 2 torpedoes on both western corners, one in the eastern room where there are 2 sniper points. For good measure one on the elevator to next level. This should stop most of the MC attacks and most aliens will be panicking for quite a while.