New S^3 Mod "All Uniforms" in development (feedback is welcome)

BlunterII

@Lt. Havoc:

How far is far enough?

Using light grenades gave you range in original S2 and using heavies gave you striking power. I never did use a heavy grenade in S2 (except once, that was when Dani remarked "Do you feel better about your mother now?" after I did. It was glorious. It also was inside the russian commandant´s office and in addition to the door I wanted to have removed it took out 5 meters of wall and a good area of floor. One of my ultimate gaming moments.), because mediums generally did the job and with my playstyle being in grenade range without sufficient ready guns meant a fuckup anyway. Visiting Koch´s Manor as axis comes to mind. THE grenade moment in S2 - and it works. M60s (Mk3A1 in BlunterMod) over the wall, thrown by my scout (back when I still had one :) - no problem.

This is my experience vs yours and Metal Canyon´s.

There are valid reasons to both views. Mine is: If you can throw a grenade, you should be in real danger from a pistol-armed opponent. Which was true before the modification. Also Bazookas and stuff don´t compare favorably to simple grenades anymore. Why lug around an extra 3x7 if you can do the same things with PWMs which are the size of your ammo? This can be an argument for longer ranged rocket-launchers, for the abolition of a weapon class made superfluous, or for shorter ranged grenades. Take your pick:). Now I don´t demand to return the grenade´s full weight (and spoil your game - maybe ;-)), I just give my views and I can live with the new system, though I liked the other one better, for the reasons I have given- namely the overall balance of all weapon and perception ranges (Though this still can use a good tweaking, doubt not good Major!).

Maybe this doesn´t have to be resolved until some time AFTER the story is done.

No reason not to mention the issue now though.

And for the feel - war movie is a good one. I am a bit undecided between undercover spies (in the story part) and war movie and just a dash of post-apocalypse. But definitely war-movie.

--------------------------------------------------------

function BEB() --Blunter Enemy Buffs

local HeroLevel=UnitGetSkillMaxValue(GetHero(),ST_LEVEL)

local HeroSpot=UnitGetSkillMaxValue(GetHero(),ST_SPOT)

local HeroShooting=UnitGetSkillMaxValue(GetHero(),ST_SHOOTING)

local HeroStealth=UnitGetSkillMaxValue(GetHero(),ST_STEALTH)

local HeroVP=UnitGetSkillMaxValue(GetHero(),ST_VP)

local HeroAP=UnitGetSkillMaxValue(GetHero(),ST_AP)

local i

for i=0,GroupGetSize(PlayerGetUnits(1)) -1 do

local unit=GroupGetUnit(PlayerGetUnits(1),i)

UnitSetSkillMaxValue(unit, ST_LEVEL, HeroLevel)

UnitSetSkillMaxValue(unit, ST_SPOT, HeroSpot + 120)

UnitSetSkillMaxValue(unit, ST_SHOOTING, HeroShooting + 40)

UnitSetSkillMaxValue(unit, ST_STEALTH, HeroStealth + 20)

UnitSetSkillMaxValue(unit, ST_AP, HeroAP)

RND=random(55,175)

UnitSetSkillMaxValue(unit, ST_VP, HeroVP + RND)

UnitSetSkill(unit, ST_VP, HeroVP + RND)

UnitHide(unit)

end

end

----------------------------------------------------------

I will test this values .

First of all, I'm sorry for my english.

Thanks for this mod, comrad. There are so interesting things in it. SS sentinels and fallout 2 are my favourite games. Maybe you will add unique mp40? For example, mp40-II with silencer, like mp41. It will be cool thing. Another weapon, m1 carbine - "Paratrooper model with folding buttstock" And the last one - TT silenced.

Probably it's not very polite, so ask for something to do, Don't be mad at me, please.

I wrote this post an hour, using google translate, and i hope, that you continue to create this mod. I was surprised that someone still remembers this game.

Welcome aboard Okami :),

when I read that you were dedicated enough to spend an hour on these 5 lines I decided to try to welcome you in russian,

so here goes:

жела́нный о́коло себе́, жела́ю хоро́шего дня.

Hats off to you, mate, this is not easy. Not easy at all.

I wholeheartedly agree with your wishes - particularly the shotgun, as in the postwar setting of this mod a hunting shotgun would be an easy choice for someone looking for some firepower at close range. Those would then likely be sawn-off doublebarrels for one-punch housecleaning.

The others, well except for the silenced Tokarev I would file them under eye-candy.

But as I am not one of the artists and programmers here, I am happy with whatever I get.

Guys, don`t use google translator... It makes things sound really funny and far far away from what you originally meant smile.png

Shotgun is easy to implement and APN already has some of them.

I have models for 2-barrel hunting shotgun and its sawn-off version somewhere which i might give to Blunter if he wishes.

Thank you for understanding, Tofudog!

I understood the first part of the sentence only when translated it into Englishbiggrin.png

And "eye-candy", what is it mean?

Okim, it will be great!

I think, author of this mod, will add this weapons, if we ask him politelyyes.gif

And I would like to see sniper mosin/nagant with the "Брамит" - WW2 soviet silencer. This weapon would be a good analogue of silenced kar98.

I can not uninstall this game since October 2004. I love this game so much. And this mod has brought so many new things to the game, like playing second time. I think I know the game well, but I find something new in it.

Guys, don`t use google translator... It makes things sound really funny and far far away from what you originally meant smile.png

Shotgun is easy to implement and APN already has some of them.

I have models for 2-barrel hunting shotgun and its sawn-off version somewhere which i might give to Blunter if he wishes.

Okim, Blunter has no modeling program and as far as I know you cant simply import models others made, correct me if I am wrong with that, so how can he add new weapons with new models or are there things going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of? I mean if you are willing to help us with some new models for the game then we would be more then happy.

All he needs is Maya 5 or 6. I think it can be used for 30 days trial as most of the Allias/Autodesk programs are. I`m not sure though as it is old as hell.

30 days is more than enough to put 2 models in the mod.

Well, we are not talking about 2 or 3 models here I am afraid, seeing as way at the beginning of the thread there was mention of new NPC/player models as well as some WWII weapons that could benefit from being in the game like the G43 or the Reising M50 for example, not to mention new PKs. I am not even sure if older versions of Maya can even be bought, I just know that new versions of it cost like 5000 US Dollar so roughly 3000 Euro and thats kind of insane.

Well, there is an option to get modern modelling programs for free from Autodesk. You just need to register as a student and provide your college info (even if you are not a student anymore).

This, however, touches modern stuff. I haven`t seen any old programs there.

@Okim //google translate.

I copy pasted from an online dictionary, this may explain any strangeness. For what it is worth, I cannot even read those cyrillic letters of yours. For all I know I have told Okami: Your goat is grazing in the lake wink.png. Anything closer to my intended: "Hello and welcome" is a win. Plus, now I know how it feels to have to write an entire text this way and can respect that for the achievement it is.

Also, now Okami knows how I would sound on a russian forum and can loose some of that "I don´t know the language" shyness.

@Okami: eye-candy: Something nice to see, as in: Chocolate for the eyes and not for the mouth smile.png.

Which brings us back to the weapons tiers.

For me personally, they don´t have to exist as such - most WW2 rifle calibers seem to have beeen about equal 7.5 to 8mm bore and 50-60 mm length (yes, the Carcano 6.5, I know). Kind of light cannon built for long range engagements. So differences would not be in the power, but in the handling.

This does bite with the "growing hit-point-pools" concept (unless you let guns skill affect the damage done) so it is a wash and I would go with the existing tiers, because no matter how you organize them, somebody could name a good reason why this is completely not realistic and a different order would be so much better.

There's no such thing as weapon tiers in real life ;)

Due to simple physics laws, any weapon firing the same projectile with the same speed gives equal damage. That's why SMGs dominated CQC and MGs dominated mid-long range encounters in WW2. This gets semi-represented in the game, as different tiers of Stens or rifles chambered with the same round differ very little in the means of projectile damage. What really differs is handling, especially AP cost of one shot, which is not that realistic, but somehow corresponds with the idea of hp pools and their growth with level progression.

@fishmachine. I like the way you think:).

Also, I remember having heard about statistics of death in war, so I read up on the economy of the bullet and I arrive at an estimate of 2000 to 10000 bullets per kill for WW 2 (depending on who you ask).

And the numbers have grown since then.

If we take the low estimate and halve it, because we have exceptional soldiers at our command we still would have to model the mechanics to make 1000 bullets fired per kill a likely outcome. Maybe scaling down to 500 as we increase in level.

Now wouldn´t that be fun?

@fishmachine. I like the way you think:).

Also, I remember having heard about statistics of death in war, so I read up on the economy of the bullet and I arrive at an estimate of 2000 to 10000 bullets per kill for WW 2 (depending on who you ask).

And the numbers have grown since then.

If we take the low estimate and halve it, because we have exceptional soldiers at our command we still would have to model the mechanics to make 1000 bullets fired per kill a likely outcome. Maybe scaling down to 500 as we increase in level.

Now wouldn´t that be fun?

Well, that's the case. Real-life combat has little in common with the in-game model.

In real fight a lots of bullets are wasted just trying to supress the enemy. You'd waste hundreds or thousands of bullets just to convince some guys to stay in their trench for five minutes.

In-game model is a necessary simplification.

Ah, hold your horses there, dear fish :)

Before I accept the heavy hand of necessity at work I need more reason.

Simplification - yes. But a matter of choice I would say. And license to implement what is the best family-fun organized mass murder can be, as we cannot achieve its grim reality anyway.

Editing

2a MintDetailsNoReport_Body

The old mint,

Herr Lander suspects the counterfeiters are using a printing machine stolen from an old mint in Kopenick, though he can't be sure without an actual sample.

The building has been abandoned for several years. Most of the equipment was seized and shipped to the Soviet Union at the end of WWII. What the Soviets didn't know is that there is an extensive network of tunnels underneath the structure.

Your task is to find a way inside and look for any information regarding the whereabouts of the missing printing press.

2 MintDetailsReport_Body

The old mint,

Herr Lander recognized the unique signature of one of the printing machines stolen from an old mint in Kopenick on the counterfeit banknotes you found in Danilov's house.

The building has been abandoned for several years. Most of the equipment was seized and shipped to the Soviet Union at the end of WWII. What the Soviets didn't know is that there is an extensive network of tunnels underneath the structure.

Your task is to find a way inside and look for any information regarding the whereabouts of the missing printing press.

Counterfeit Report

I'm a bit confused about this, since the screenshot says one thing and your comment says another. Does it need to be in a squad member's (or specifically the main character's) inventory, or will leaving it in the armory's storage cabinet and/or somewhere in Sentinel HQ count as bringing it to Herr Lander?

Panzerkleins (Cont.)

I'm not sure if this would work, but can't they be set to use a different RPG/AI Material instead of the standard PK Armor? If separate armor values aren't possible, then just adjusting VPs is fine with me.

Instead of the vanilla system of having a PK garage filled with all the PKs the player obtains that they can use at any time, how about only making PKs available to the player during specific missions? That way, said missions can be tailored to account for the specific number and type of PKs made available to the player and you won't have to worry about avoid wrecking balance elsewhere with OP player PKs. The in-story reason can be that since PKs are so rare and valuable, the Sentinels only allow squad leaders to deploy them on very important missions that require their capabilities, like open assaults on heavily fortified bases.

Instead of the vanilla system of having a PK garage filled with all the PKs the player obtains that they can use at any time, how about only making PKs available to the player during specific missions? That way, said missions can be tailored to account for the specific number and type of PKs made available to the player and you won't have to worry about avoid wrecking balance elsewhere with OP player PKs. The in-story reason can be that since PKs are so rare and valuable, the Sentinels only allow squad leaders to deploy them on very important missions that require their capabilities, like open assaults on heavily fortified bases.

Well, here goes this one thing - why the hell invest in PK-related perk tree if they're usable in a handful of missions only?

That was one of the problems in the original S2.

Sentinels as S2 allows us modders to put a flag 'PK allowed true/false' in mission parameters. I think that its still the best way to balance PK overpoweredness in certain missions.

Panzerkleins (Cont.)

I'm not sure if this would work, but can't they be set to use a different RPG/AI Material instead of the standard PK Armor? If separate armor values aren't possible, then just adjusting VPs is fine with me.

This is possible to do. There are a couple of other matallic materials with much lower durability ratings (35 instead of 50, for example). This makes it possible for much wider range of weapons to damage the PKs.

Well, here goes this one thing - why the hell invest in PK-related perk tree if they're usable in a handful of missions only?

That was one of the problems in the original S2.

Remove the PK-related perks from the class trees and make them reward perks instead or something. Perhaps have the player receive advanced training in how to operate Panzerkleins once they complete enough missions, just before the first time they operate one, when they shell out enough money or complete a sidequest for the trainer, something like that. Could also just make PK missions relatively common, but that brings up its own issues.

This is possible to do. There are a couple of other matallic materials with much lower durability ratings (35 instead of 50, for example). This makes it possible for much wider range of weapons to damage the PKs.

Is it also possible to create new ones?

Back again.

Well I was not thinking straight on my last post, otherwise I would have noticed, that I already had proposed one possible way to encourage ammo use, by attaching a tangible benefit to it (the no damage/AP-reduction criticals, if they are possible).

But tonight I wanted to unveil the rule of the fishmachine (so named, because I found it in one of his posts):

If it can drop in random encounters it is in endless supply.

In my current game I wanted to build my squad before going on the story missions and so I farmed the random encounters for a bit. Right before it got truly tedious I had sold the $ 39000 worth of guns and stuff I needed to buy my mercenaries and am now ready with a level 6-8 squad and more ammunition than I can ever use.

regarding PKs:

One might have a look at the mission area - if it is at all likely that civilians are in the area PKs would be out of the question (if they are supposed to be a secret super-weapon still),

also you would need one or two trucks to deploy the PKs for a squad, so these would have to be able to get to the area (unnoticed in most cases).

Being issued with PKs on a mission by mission basis also raises the question, why the squad would keep its own economy for the rest of everything. For that train of thought I would find it more logical if one or more trained PK-pilots would accompany our heroes on certain missions (and the PKs are kept out of player hands entirely, because the government would confiscate or force-buy any looted PKs as soon as it got wind of them)

For assault missions you would also have to find reasons, why a mortar team, howitzer, armoured car or an actual tank was not used for fire-support.