Are You Ready To Pack?

Thorondor

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Soon you'll have more to contend with in XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Showing thick-skulled aliens their place is, as we know, often a difficult task to succeed at with any definitiveness, but it's not like we aren't keen on doing it, so to our good fortune Firaxis will shortly have additional assignments for us.

Two new DLC packs are said to be in the pipe:

The Slingshot Content Pack is the first of the two packs. The Slingshot pack is a set of linked Council missions that take place on three new maps. The player will meet Zhang, an enigmatic Triad operative, divert an alien ship’s course, and do battle with the aliens in the skies over China. In addition to new maps, the DLC will include a new playable character with a unique story and voice and new character customization options. The Slingshot pack release date and pricing will be announced soon.

A second pack will be announced at a later date. Stay tuned for that!

Also reported, and available right now, is the Elite Soldier Pack which can at last be purchased by those who'd like to get their soldiers to look as fashionably attired and well-groomed as ours. Hey, killer looks do count!

Fingers crossed on £10 for the next one, but that soldier customisation pack was £3 odd (not that I minded as I didn't pre-order and was intrigued).

I say £10 as a random number only because all we really know about it is that it's 3 missions and one playable character, so it's hard to gauge value based off that.

They are added as council (3 of them) missions. So, it's highly scripted. You get a new operative who's only difference from all the other is that he looks and sounds different. No other special abilities. Perhaps the title slingshot comes from the fact that it will give you access to a technology you have to research later in the game. To me, this only serves to make XCOM even less of a proper XCOM/UFO feel. The whole game to me was hyped into tricking me it was the holy grail of XCOM/UFO gaming when in fact it's just a very generic game that just happens to look good. Yes, I was deeply disappointed.

• 4 weeks later...